Which ball to play? Cool temps.

Brassie

Reaction score
I'm playing tomorrow, temperature at start is projected to be 44*F. Because of mid to low spin irons and driver, I was planning on playing the higher spin TM TP5x but then I'm starting to wonder if there is a better choice due to very cool temperature. I think the high temp later in the round is 52*F.

Anyone know if there is any difference in current balls and how they react to cool temp? I have TP5x Tour B XS and Chrome Soft X to choose from.

Any insight? or am I over thinking again?

When I play in cooler temps, I typically play a softer compression ball just because my hands are colder and a softer ball doesn't feel as harsh on them. I'm not 100% sure but I think the CSX might be the lower compression ball of the ones you mentioned but I'd double check as my memory can be crap on those type of things.

When I play in cooler temps, I typically play a softer compression ball just because my hands are colder and a softer ball doesn't feel as harsh on them. I'm not 100% sure but I think the CSX might be the lower compression ball of the ones you mentioned but I'd double check as my memory can be crap on those type of things.

Compressions:
Chrome Soft X = 90
Tour B XS = 75
TP5x = 97

Looks like I should favor the Tour B XS.

I used to switch to a lower compression ball in cooler weather but honestly never saw an appreciable differences so don't bother any more. The balls I typically play, Bridgestone Tour B RX or Titleist AVX, are not on the high end of the compression scale anyway.

Compressions:
Chrome Soft X = 90
Tour B XS = 75
TP5x = 97

Looks like I should favor the Tour B XS.
Tour BX S it would be for me, then. Though for me, personally, I play a Callaway Supersoft in those conditions (38 compression). That ball may not have the characteristics for your particular game, though.

I use the Callaway Super Soft and love it in the colder weather, but then my swing speed is somewhere around 80 MPH with the driver.

Bridgestone RX is what i have been playing in cooler temps

I like to play the Wilson Duo Soft Matte green or Orange. They are easier to find in the fall with leaves on the ground and low compression so not hitting a cold rock.

Thanks so far for the responses! what about spin matching to irons/driver? Important? or not?

I like Q Star tour or RX for winter play. Easy choice as far as I am concerned as I don't want to hit a rock.

And that Q-star Tour deal had them at 9.99 a dozen.

I’m going to stick with my gamer(s) this fall/winter but play with handwarmers in my pockets/bag

My follow up:
It was 43*F at the start of the round. I initially played a Callaway Supersoft. Didn't like it, it wasn't giving me distance I needed. So I switched to a Titleist Tour Soft (I had 3 of them in my shag bag I found this morning) and really liked how it performed and played it the rest of the round. I was getting 260-270 off the tee with driver. Approach irons had a enough spin and stayed put on the greens. Nice putter feel for me with the Spider X.

The Tour Soft is a good ball for me in the chilly weather. Compression is said to be mid-60's.

Mid compression is always a winner. I like the Srixon Soft Feel at 60 compression a nice cold weather ball.

I picked up some Bridgestone e12 Soft balls yesterday to try on my upcoming Sunday round. Thanks for the advice on the Srixon Soft Feel... I'll try to pick up a sleeve of those also!

Great, let us know how the e12's play. The Soft Feels come in yellow and now brite new colors.

Back