Which brand has surprised you the most?

I’d say Srixon. Probably my 2nd favorite brand all of a sudden...specifically for woods and irons.
Hearing that about their woods is something they will love to see.

Wilson, but not for a good reason.

They just don’t seem to be able to get out of their own way. they have a few good releases surrounded by questionable decisions. That even with me being a fan of the driver FS. Driver. That show cases some interesting tech in the form of 3D printed heads.

For a company that is as successful in other sports as they are, and for the long history they have, they simply can’t get right...
Sadly, this is very true. On many accounts.

Srixon has crushed their last several releases...
Srixon equipment was top shelf 20 years ago. Your post would have been appropriate in 2000.

Callaway Mavrik Woods
Last Callaway driver I actually played was Great Big Bertha. I just never got along with them. Then jail break concept got me interested since I’ve been missing low alot. Epic flash enter the picture. Excellent results but not fan of the sound. Enter Mavrik!! So far I like everything about the driver. Sounds and results are far superior than what I expected. Mavrik max fairway also a surprise finding. I like the shape of standard head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Srixon equipment was top shelf 20 years ago. Your post would have been appropriate in 2000.
I thought that the Z65 & Z85 lines were very good.

Cobra without a doubt... the price point for their gear is sick and it flat out performs.

Hogan - the transformation has been nothing short of amazing

Srixon is a really good one but I'll go Ben Hogan. They're clubs look as good as any out there and the performance is top notch. Plus they are using such an unconventional way of doing business and seem to be succeeding.

Srixon is a really good one but I'll go Ben Hogan. They're clubs look as good as any out there and the performance is top notch. Plus they are using such an unconventional way of doing business and seem to be succeeding.

They do have me quite curious lately. New Mizuno woods look really good too.

Reactions: KEV
I’d argue those two are fighting for the same demographic.

Callaway. Jailbreak has been around for a minute, but the AI technology is amazing and they keep improving it. And it carries over to Odyssey for the Stroke Lab shafts and TT putters/balls (albeit the balls are Callaway branded).

Callaway. Stroke lab, AI, constantly pushing the boundaries. And somehow the Grandaddy was even better than I had imagined.

Both Srixon and Cobra for the past 5 years or so have really upped the quality and lines. Both well rounded on either brand

Srixon irons have had some awesome releases. Z765 irons could be one of the best iron releases ever.
Agree... I struggled but with latest swing fix things are working swimmingly.

I thought that the Z65 & Z85 lines were very good.
The pro 100 irons are the purest blades I ever hit. I am sorry I didn't buy them. Instead I opted to have my Mizuno irons reshafted and MOI'd to the 4-iron which I loved.

Hogan - the transformation has been nothing short of amazing
When I first saw the latest Hogan irons, my first thought was they have turned the Mizuno MP30 cavity blades (2003) into a blade.

Tour Edge - used to bounce around across large OEMs for clubs... Tour Edge has been a diamond for me. Hoping to add a fwy or hybrid soon based on this weekend's performance

I was with a buddy of mine tonight who just started playing and he is looking for a set of wedges under $75 or so. Did some searching around and there is a set of brand new Tour Edge wedges but I don't know anything about them. The reviews on eBay seem good but don't know anyone who has actually played with them before.

I'm going to go with Srixon. I just didn't know anything about them other than they made a cheap golf ball until I hit the 785s and boy, does that leave an impression. Just about everything I've had my hands on of theirs since has impressed me. Including their current ball lineup.

I’m a fan of both but if I can get the Hogan’s hundreds less I’m all in.
Yeah, I feel like this is the approach BH is hoping consumers will take. It makes sense, of course. Develop a product that is similar enough to a competitor, charge significantly less.

The last few years????? Im not sure i could pick just one OEM. I know there would be several i would plainly leave out.

Cobra: I think they might be the tops...
Callaway: innovate or die
Mizuno: surprised by their recent openhandedness

All of the others.....well.....just a big ol mixed bag of MEH for me over the last few years.

PING drivers are the best I have ever played. OEM or component hands down. But then my needs today are different that they were years ago.

I've been very pleasantly surprised with Cobra. Wasn't even on the radar before MC experience.

Back