Which Club is Key?

leftshot

Remember to smile
Reaction score
Which club, if you are swinging it well is the key to a good scoring day?

For me it's the putter. Stats prove that's where I gain most strokes.
Screenshot_20210127-114431_Shot Scope.jpg

For me, if I am striking my fairway metal really well, as in I can count on putting it on the green from 200-220 yards out, I can strike precisely every club in my bag. It's different than Turtleranger, it's not that the fairway metal is the club providing a lower score. It's that it's the hardest club to control, so if I've got that club nailed, I can strike all the clubs in my bag well.

My putter is reasonably consistent, so for me it's driver. If I'm having a bad day with the driver it usually means a lot of penalty strokes and hitting from places I'd rather not be hitting from.

Putter and my tee game so normally driver

Either putter or wedges. Both add up the stokes quick on an off day. But it can also drop strokes like nobody’s business on a fire day.

It’s very Course dependent. Some courses I need to keep it between the trees to score. My home course I can be a little wild 75% of the time and score if my GW is working. If that’s on and putts start to fall? Oh yeah.

It’ll be a long day there if that club isn’t cutting it as I hit it on all but maybe 5-6 holes. The par 3’s (hopefully) and there’s one long par 4 that is at least a 7i in, usually more. I probably hit it most of those holes too I just don’t plan to.

AW. If I'm throwing darts with the gap I'm usually doing it a couple clubs both direction too. <160 being dialed in is a lot circles on the card.

For me it's driver or whatever club off the tee.

When I'm driving well, everything seems to fall into place. When I'm not, penalties are my bane of existence.

Putter is hugely important too but it's never incurred a penalty for me, not yet. Not through maybe a couple thousand rounds.

Even on a bad putting day, I haven't ever 3-putted enough to cost me equal to what a bad driving day has.

Wedge... its what will give me the most scoring chances. There are certain holes that you need to make birdies on. If the wedge isn't working then I'm losing a lot of shots.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

For me it's driver or whatever club off the tee.

When I'm driving well, everything seems to fall into place. When I'm not, penalties are my bane of existence.

Putter is hugely important too but it's never incurred a penalty for me, not yet. Not through maybe a couple thousand rounds.

Even on a bad putting day, I haven't ever 3-putted enough to cost me equal to what a bad driving day has.
Yup driver for me too. If I'm hitting it well then I'll save myself 4 or 5 shots a round at least, wither with penalties or having to play out sideways from unfavourable lies. If I'm in the fairway then I'm scoring unless it's just a howler of a round.

Putter is always the key for me since it never has been a shining part of my game.

I would think the putter helps forgive many a sin.....

It's always the putter. If I can scramble with my short game to make tap in pars or drain a few long putts for birdie, then it's going to be a good day & I will score well. The key is to make it happen. More often than not, it doesn't. But anytime my putts per round get above say 30 - 32, then it's gonna be ugly. :rolleyes:

For me, the putter is the key to good scoring. For me, putting and short game make up for less than stellar iron play. My GIR could use improvement.

For me it’s the driver. I score well when I’m hitting fairways consistently

First for me is driver, if I'm in or near fairways it will be a much better day than when my misses from the tee are bigger. After that it would be my 50*, as I probably use it more than any club other than my putter.

Unless it's the rare occasion when my putter is on, it's all about the approach for me. My tee ball is solid 85% of my rounds, but my iron accuracy has huge swings from one day to the next. Some days I won't hit any approach shot closer than 15 feet, and other days, I'll hit 6+ approach shots inside that distance. Some rounds the short birdie putts come in bunches. My round last week I hit three approach shots on par 4's inside of 4'.

Last edited:
I need work on the putter, no matter what.

But, if I had to pick one club that has the biggest affect on overall score, it's the 5w. If I can stay in a groove with it, it's flexible enough that I can use it in various situations.

Back