Which club or set of clubs was your biggest game changer?

Easy one for me. My CF19s drastically improved my iron game, which improved scoring.

Spider Tour putter. Followed closely with TM HiToe wedges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None. I’ve never had a big improvement in my game from any new club. I’ve always played about the same once I felt comfortable with them.

I'm not sure if it was the Big Bertha or Taylor Made original Pittsburgh Persimmon driver. With the introduction of easy to hit drivers I could abandon my dependence on hitting 2-woods off the tee.

My biggest improvement came with a move into a better fitting shaft. I had been playing too soft of a flex up until that point and my dispersion tightened up tremendously after the switch.

Blades; they forced me to make good swings, get better, and focus more. They changed my game big time.
I'm a golf rookie but I have a nagging feeling that you are spot on with this and I should get a set of blades. My current set is cavity back Mizunos. I purchased a 60 degree Mizuno lob wedge. It's a blade and for the first couple of months I hated that club. I wouldn't use it. I went through several weeks where I was playing rounds by myself on a short course and I decided I was going to learn to hit that club or die trying. It forced me to focus on my swing and contact just to get a half decent result. It's my favorite club now.
I just tried a set of zx5's and got good results out of them. I'm going to buy them. When I walked into the store, I was looking for a set of blades. The guy fitting me talked me out of the blades because I'm a beginner. Should I go back to looking at blades? It may cause me to struggle out of the gate but I think they would make me a better golfer in the long run. Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might want to share.

Going to graphite shafts was a game changer for me regardless of what heads are attached. The best move I have made in golf compliments of a torn elbow ligament

My current irons and driver have made the biggest difference. Getting properly fit for my irons had me getting 2 degrees upright, half an inch long, for the first time. I don’t know if it was that, or the P790’s themselves, but I’m hitting these irons better than any iron previously. As someone that’s always been a low ball striker, I get much better height with these. Same with my G410 driver. Never been able to get height on my drives, now I’m hitting a nice high trajectory with my driver. Now that being said, I’m not actually hitting lower scores. I am however, far more consistent right now than I’ve ever been.

I'm a golf rookie but I have a nagging feeling that you are spot on with this and I should get a set of blades. My current set is cavity back Mizunos. I purchased a 60 degree Mizuno lob wedge. It's a blade and for the first couple of months I hated that club. I wouldn't use it. I went through several weeks where I was playing rounds by myself on a short course and I decided I was going to learn to hit that club or die trying. It forced me to focus on my swing and contact just to get a half decent result. It's my favorite club now.
I just tried a set of zx5's and got good results out of them. I'm going to buy them. When I walked into the store, I was looking for a set of blades. The guy fitting me talked me out of the blades because I'm a beginner. Should I go back to looking at blades? It may cause me to struggle out of the gate but I think they would make me a better golfer in the long run. Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might want to share.
I know you didn't ask me but I thought I would chime in. There is a big gap between true cavity back (SGI or GI) irons and blades. Part of that gap is filled by players distance irons, which is what the Zx5s you are looking at and possibly purchasing are. It puts the forgiveness (though obviously not as much) of a cavity back in to a smaller more player friendly profile. The game is hard enough, no need to punish yourself so much right away by getting blades. Especially when the ZX5s are getting rave reviews. I'm sure you've been in that thread!

At least that's the path I went down. GI cavity backs down to Players Distance. That change hands down still made me get better at my striking but didn't kill me if it wasn't perfect. It also allowed me to cut my handicap down from a 16-18 down to a 5-7 in one season. Granted I'm far from new to the game and have been playing for a few years so my foundation was there already.

To each their own though! I know people who went straight to blades and hated their life on the course and I know others who going to blades was the best thing they ever did. Everyone approaches this game so different that some things that work for some, will not work for others.

Also I know most wedges are technically blades, but in my opinion they shouldn't be considered when looking for what type of irons to get. The margin of error is different in a bladed wedge than it is in a bladed iron. Just my two cents that you didn't ask for :D I saw you posted that you've been playing for about two years. You know your tendencies better than anyone else so good luck with whatever you choose sir!

Haig ultra blades with aluminum shafts. Had to learn to hit the ball in the center of the face consistently. And you could not jump on those aluminum shafts!

I played a player style cavity back for a long while, and before that I played game improvement irons. For me, it was all timing. I played blades earlier on, when I was scratch. Then, I fell into an incredible slump. I started with blades again only two years ago, and played them until a few months ago.

I can't really answer that question for you since its all timing with me. I'll probably go back and forth with blades forever haha.

I love the look of a butter knife at address, and love the feel of puring a blade.

Do your thing, experiment. You can get a single blade, like a 6 iron, on ebay and work with it for practice.

I played a player style cavity back for a long while, and before that I played game improvement irons. For me, it was all timing. I played blades earlier on, when I was scratch. Then, I fell into an incredible slump. I started with blades again only two years ago, and played them until a few months ago.

I can't really answer that question for you since its all timing with me. I'll probably go back and forth with blades forever haha.

I love the look of a butter knife at address, and love the feel of puring a blade.

Do your thing, experiment. You can get a single blade, like a 6 iron, on ebay and work with it for practice.
That's a good idea. I'll try that. Thanks.

Way back in the mid 90s I bought a set of Lynx Parallax irons back when Freddy was using them. I was coming from a set of Ping Karsten 1s that I had been playing for 12 or 13 years. For me the Lynx irons just spun up high when I tried to hit a shot hard. It made me learn how to hit knock down shots. If I had 163 yard for example instead of stepping on a 7 iron which would balloon up and go 153 I would knock down a 6 iron. That is still a huge part of my game.

I'm going to say none. I don't recall a club causing a drastic change to my score. But I love gear and am always testing. Each purchase still gives me that glimmer of hope that it could be "the game changer".

I don’t have it anymore, but my Nike rescue wood was a game changer for me. It was my first time using a hybrid and I never looked back. Love using hybrids now.

I'm not going to say a 'club' here but rather a concept.

When I got heavily into the SeeMore product and started building an understanding on the SPi method, it took me from an abysmal putting stroke to one that has provided me with a great deal of success. That decision to finally start to learn the what/why of a stroke instead of trying to finesse the ball to the hole made all the difference in the world.

Putting graphite shafts in my wedges was the biggest game changer for my game that I can think of. My 110 and in game definitely improved to become my biggest strength.

I’ve had two. A driver that fit my swing and a putter that suited my eye. Now I have confidence on the tee that I won’t end up on the next hole and I feel like I can make every putt. Both have had huge impacts on my game! I’m hoping my new wedges will have a similar effect 😬

Without a doubt, it has been my recent change to an old set of TaylorMade Burner 2.0 irons. I was losing distance with my 2009 Callaway X-Forged irons and went through a search of newer blades and forged cavity backs that never proved any better. Once I got the Burners though, my distances improved dramatically and I found that I really enjoy the extra forgiveness.

Just yesterday, I hit one of the best irons of my life. I was 169-yards out with a pretty good breeze at my back. The pin was tucked over a bunker and I knew a 7-iron would not likely hit and hold the green. I was going to hit a low draw to try and miss the bunker and bounce up onto the green, but thought just maybe I could launch an 8-iron to the pin and hold it.

I hit a really high fade with the 8 and it was just perfect, landing next to the pin and finishing 8-feet past. No way I could have hit that shot with my former clubs.

Probably my first fitted for me set / Ping G15 driver and woods, s56 irons and ping wedges.... took my game to a whole new place

Which club or set of clubs improved your golf the most. What was the impact? What were you using before the change?

I'd like to get an idea of how much of a change can actually be achieved after swapping equipment. Obviously ball, grip, shaft, etc. can affect performance but for this thread I'm particularly interested in clubs.
The Tour Edge EXS driver I won for winning the Fantasy league on THP!

Big Bertha driver, fairway woods, and original Cobra irons back in the early 90's.

Ping G400 Max 9 TPT Red Shaft

Back