Which Club When Struggling Off the Tee?

Usually my driver is more reliable off the tee than anything else. I may not hit the ball very far when struggling, but I can manage my fade most of the time and keep the ball out of any real trouble. If I just can't hit it at all I'd probably go to my longest iron which is my 6i. If I am hitting my hybrids well that day then maybe the 3h.

Generally speaking, if I can't figure the driver out at all, I go down in 1 club increments until I feel a little comfortable. So 3W, then 5W and so on. Driver is usually a pretty good club for me though, so it takes a truly horrendous day - I'm talking basically a full 9 without a prayer of a fairway - for me to completely give up on it.

3 wood or 7 wood if I'm in really bad shape. Most times though I just take driver, choke down, shorten the backswing and just try to make solid contact a few times before I try something else.

Driving iron gets the call if I'm not being stubborn and keep hitting driver. This happened last round and driver came around on the back nine. Was prepared to make the switch if it hadn't.

When I can get past my stubbornness and leave the driver in the bag, it's either the Mav 5W or Super Hybrid.

Will go 3 wood if the driver is just not even remotely coming around. If that fails, 5 wood is basically my mortal lock to find the fairway.

Struggled off the tee with my driver last weekend on the first 9 of a round. Pulled 5 wood and didn’t miss a fairway. It’s the most reliable club I have off the tee always.

I'll just go down until I find something that is working. Usually the 5w does the trick but if it's a critical shot I'll drop to my 6i

Been going back and forth with a friend today that is really struggling off the tee. He is basically using a 5 iron exclusively now until he gets it fixed. When I am struggling off the tee, I usually go to my 2nd driver, which is shorter.

Do you have a go to in this scenario?
I just stick with the driver and maybe tee it a little lower, move it back inside my front foot and make a less than full speed swing at it.

The guys I play regularly have standing instructions to give me a swift kick in the rear if they see me teeing off on a narrow Par 4 or Par 5 with something other than driver. Whenever I try hitting a fairway wood or 5-iron because I'm struggling with my swing, I'll hit an awful fairway wood or 5-iron swing. Just no benefit to it at all.

Driver is usually a club I hit pretty well relative to the rest of my game. If the driver swing is messed up, my swing the rest of my clubs is usually more messed up!

If it's a meaningful game, I'll hit either 5w or 7w lately since if I'm not hitting driver well, I'm usually not connecting with me 3w either.

When I'm playing the other 99% of my rounds for fun, just keep hitting the big stick. Work through it.

Driver is usually pretty reliable, but if I have to change clubs it will be my utility 2i

I’m pretty stubborn in that I will try and cure it on course. That said I just ordered a mini driver to fill in as well as use on some special holes. So I intent to fill in with the mini.

I dont have a reliable go to club off the tee. Chances are if I can't hit my driver, I can't hit anything...but when my driver isn't working, I go 5 wood next. if that doesn't work then 🤷‍♂️

This is me right now.
Single lesson and I was cured. :facepalm: Fought it for over a year and took less than 5 minutes to fix. Hated thinking how much time I wasted.

Historically it’s the hybrid for me. The 3 and 4 hybrids (depending on the model) have been the go to clubs for me historically. Something about those clubs gives me confidence.

Usually fairway wood, which could be a Flash 3wd, Speed 4wd or Epic Max 5wd depending on which one got the call that round. If the confidence isn't there for that option, then I'll go Apex Pro 3h.

Driver....If I'm struggling I want my mistakes as far off tee as possible....As I can mishit any club.

Single lesson and I was cured. :facepalm: Fought it for over a year and took less than 5 minutes to fix. Hated thinking how much time I wasted.
I'm taking short lessons right now because I've gotten the yips with my irons, which is usually my bread and butter. Was hoping that once that's fixed the driver will fix itself, but I should probably just dedicate at least one session to the big stick.

Depends on my swing that day. If it’s really good 2u if not 3u. I don’t carry fairways or hybrids usually.

Driver is one of my most consistent clubs. Where I can struggle is on long par threes, and I have to go above my 7 iron. Those damn 165+ par threes get me every time.

I just bunt a driver if the full swing is not working. Full swing fairway normally will not turn out well if I have driver demons

I stick with the driver. I found the problem is usually tempo and that gets thrown off when I try to kill the ball. So I just go to a good tempo and take and easy swing.... and it usually ends up going straight for some reason.

I try to stick with driver and sort it out. After that, historically, if I'm really struggling and the course isn't long, I go to 4i. Can't afford the distance much lately, so it's been 3H. Forgiving, set up to avoid the hook, not a bear in length or flex profile.. Just easier, with a little help and good distance if things still don't go quite right.

Back