Which Club When Struggling Off the Tee?

I'm stubborn.....if I'm hitting the driver badly, I keep on using it! Sometimes I will try choking down 2 inches, teeing it lower, and hitting
it almost like a fairway wood. It cuts down on distance, but seems to keep it lower and straighter....read that tip somewhere a long time ago!

I'll go with a 4 wood or utility wood(Maltby HyWay) to get it in the fairway. 4 wood usually works but if not, I hit the utility wood dead straight.

Been a little wayward with driver recently so gave my 3w a go. Been absolutely melting it and to be honest i think im only losing 10 or so yards. Ive shot back to back best rounds this year yesterday and today cos im hitting the fairway of every driving hole.

I had a stretch with my driver a couple months ago where it was nothing but toe city. Turns out I was standing too far back off the ball, which worked OK when I got into a groove on the range, but would fall apart on the course when I had one cold-start try to get it right.

Anyway, I benched my driver for 2 months while my swing was "in the shop" and laid up every hole with a 4 hybrid. It lost 30 yards versus a clean driver shot but got a ball out there and straight, which was exactly what I needed at the time. I didn't want to go chasing yet another 20 yard toe topper into yet another bush.

Last edited:
Driver is usually my best club so if I can't hit it there's no need to try to hit something else. The big head helps me, if I had started when all the heads were small probably would have quit. Just don't have enough coordination for a consistent swing.

When i'm struggling off thetee I just stick with the driver until it sorts itself out. I could switch clubs and mishit that too so Imightas well stick with the club with the potential to go longest. I don't lose shots (OB or other penalties). My mishits are topping or hitting thin and it just going 70 yards off the tee. I know how to hit it and know it will eventually come back around.

Back