Which golf announcers do you miss/not miss/like/don't like?

Parrot

2025 Worldwide Golf Championship - Team ?????
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'll throw the low hanging fruit out first, I don't miss Johnny Miller. I don't care anymore that he shot 63 to win the US Open.

I miss Venturi and Summerall. They are the voices I grew up with in golf. I also miss Alliss, Oosterhuis and Vin Scully. I'll miss Lundquist when he is gone.

I like Nobilo, Baker-Finch, Azinger, Bones, Maltbie, Notah Begay and Dottie Pepper. I also like Sam Torrance when I can listen to the BBC coverage. I can take or leave Kostis.

I really don't care for Faldo. I liked McCord and Feherty before they became caricatures of themselves. I hate hearing Jim Nantz's voice on anything.

Who ya got?

Less Dan Hicks, more Terry Gannon, please, NBC/Golf Channel. Steve Sands thanking all the players for always being "so generous with your time" is irritating, too. It's a 30-second interview, for heaven's sake.

Love McCord And Feherty....I was hoping Miller would be replaced years ago and wrote the network on many occasions asking for it. I too miss Summerall and Venturi..:oops: Zinger does well, Nobilo also. Begay should run off and be Tigers Pool boy

and Duval, I like Duval

My favorite is probably Jim Nantz, just has a voice that’s easy to listen to for me. He has a way with word that I enjoy.

Don’t have a specific person I dislike, but more a style of announcing I can’t stand, and that’s the person who has to throw their own professional accolades into the broadcast. At times it feels forced like they want to remind me of their own glory days.

I miss Ben Wright I loved that guys announcing and he was perfect in Tin Cup

I like Nantz, he does a good job I think and it pretty even keel. I do not miss Miller at all, he was terrible IMO.

Like: Lundquist, Nantz, Faldo, Alliss, Feherty, Laura Davies, Kostis, Dottie Pepper

Dislike: Azinger, Miller

Bones is terrific on-course .

I hate Joe Buck. I don't think he has ever announced golf, but I felt that it needed to be said.

I liked Miller and miss him, unlike most.

Currently, I like Faldo and Begay when I hear them. I don’t pay much attention to where and when they are on.

Paul Azinger took over the "get off my lawn" role from Johnny Miller - - I think it was during the Tour Championship that he defended slow play, saying things like "it's been going on since the '70s...it's not going to change" and "these players have nowhere else to go, so why hurry?" Sheesh.

I hate Joe Buck. I don't think he has ever announced golf, but I felt that it needed to be said.

Hate him too. Fox has the US Open and he's the host. Gross.

I also liked Miller, not that I'll miss him.

McCord seems to be well past his heyday, loved him 5-10 years ago. Feherty's on course stuff is also tamed down from what it was, and not as entertaining.

I absolutely LOVE the crew that broadcasts on the radio on Westwood1. A great team that really brings the action in detail, and captures the atmostphere of the event and brings it through the radio. So good.
Also enjoy Feherty a lot.

Hate him too. Fox has the US Open and he's the host. Gross.

I also liked Miller, not that I'll miss him.

McCord seems to be well past his heyday, loved him 5-10 years ago. Feherty's on course stuff is also tamed down from what it was, and not as entertaining.

I belong to about 5 Facebook groups, and this is one.

Faxon is the best former player/color guy hands down. He and Bacon together are also top notch.

Like most of the LPGA crew. Gannon, Cockerill, Stupples, Gallagher. Probably close to time for Rankin to retire.

No fond of most of the NBC PGA crew except for Maltbie.

Can take or leave CBS but Faldo’s constant stream of Dad jokes gets old....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely miss Venturi and Summerall. I do like Faldo, but probably just because I tend to like him as a person. I agree on Feherty and McCord - I still chuckle at their input at times, but I find them tiring now more times than not.

Golf broadcasts are similar to other sports in that I often turn the sound off.

That said, I really can't stand Joe Buck. He's turned into another Bob Costas where he seems to want to be bigger than the event he covering. Nobilo and Faherty are ok and I don't mind Duval. The folks who have played golf for a living (or whatever professional sport they're covering) have credibility.

For the most part, I don't feel the need to have these people to tell me what's going on.

I'm OK with Nantz. Faldo is irritating sometimes, but I can usually deal with him better than I could with Johnny Miller.

I kinda wish Van Pelt would come back to golf and do some broadcasting. I just feel like he could inject a little bit of energy into it, but I assume the ESPN ship is hard to get off of.

Not a fan of Johnny Miller or Faldo. Joe Buck is a big negative also.

Faxon, Duval are the best in my opinion. Buck and Miller are terrible

Wish David Duvall would get some more chances at commentary in the booth. Fun listening to him at The Open a few years back when he did the early groups.

Tom Werme does a lot of regional ACC broadcasts. He tends to get overly excited on simple plays and starts screaming over a simple lay-up or a 3-yd run up the middle. It must take every thing he's got to squash that urge on PGA Tour Radio.

Buck and Costas are really good on baseball broadcasts.

Would like to hear Kostis, Feherty and McCord go 3 Stooges on a Sunday round... those guys can bring some great banter to a broadcast

Back