Which Iron Get The Most Use In your Bag?

I would have to say my 5i & 7i get the most usage, probably because I have the most confidence when hitting them with the PW right behind them.

Arccos says it' s the 54* and it's not close. I've deliberately made a change to not use the 58* lob wedge unless it's really needed.

I would say the one between my ears, but I refrain after thinking about it some :p

Easily my set 49* gap wedge. I probably hit it 20 times a round and use it for almost all shots 135 and in. The only time I use another wedge is if I’m in sand, short sided, or have to go over a tree 60 yards and in.

I’ve played that way for 2 seasons, I read some expert, I forget who, that said for the average golfer it is far easier to master one wedge for most wedge shots than 4. Seemed logical. Now I just need to learn how to master the damn thing :)

I often keep track of my approach attempts. My 7 iron gets the most opps. Some wedges would easily top the 7 iron if I were to also include whichever club I pulled for greenside chips/pitches/sand shots. My bag configuration has evolved over time. I ditched my 5 iron two years ago and I no longer game any hybrids. A few months ago I went to a 5 wood, I also went to a 3 U Iron a year ago. Approach Attempts past few years.
7 Iron = 649
SW = 645
8 Iron = 633
GW = 623
PW = 609
9 Iron = 593
6 Iron = 588
Hybrids = 489 (includes 4H, 3/4H, 3H, 2/3H, and 2H models)
LW = 410
4 Iron = 373
5 Iron = 276
3 Wood = 202
#3 U Iron = 138
5 Wood = 32
Driver = 4

Last edited:
Outside of the wedges it looks like it's my 8-iron by just a few. I like that it's not a wide margin because I really tried to mix up the courses/tees the latter half of the year to avoid getting in a rut.

I find it interesting that I'm remembering an earlier thread that asked what your favorite iron shot would be and I chose a full 8-iron. I don't think I use it more on course for any reason of fondness, but I wonder if me thinking of it as a go-to is related to it being the most used. And I wonder how many others favorite was also the one they use the most.

Just wondering which iron or irons in your bag get the most useage. In my case it would probably have to be either the 8i or the 9i.
Probably my 9i, definitely my 56 or 60 if we are counting wedges.

I think mine is probably my AW. I use it for a lot of different shots, and seem to be around the 100-110 yardage quite often.

Probably 4, PW and 52* wedge

I use my 46* PW a lot. I use it almost exclusively from 50-100 yards. I probably use it 7ish times a round. I also use my 5 iron a lot. Maybe 5 or so times a round due to longer par 4's and 3's.

Probably 7-iron and 52° GW.

Probably the 9 iron. Unfortunately, a decent amount of it's use is hitting low hooking shots out of trees.

You can hit a low hook with a 9i? My low hook is a 4 or 5 iron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can hit a low hook with a 9i? My low hook is a 4 or 5 iron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes sir. I can hook pretty much any club in my bag. Unfortunately, said hook too often results when I am not trying to hit one.... Slicing or fading is a different matter. A straight ball is like a slice/fade for me with any club below a 3 wood.

For me it’s a 6 iron and a PW. The 6 is the iron I have the most confidence hitting and I use the PW to hit a variety of shots.

I hit a lot of 9i. Love me some 9i.

8 iron is the club I find myself hitting the most on the course as well as the iron I tend to go to when I am working on my swing on the range.

My 7i and 8i are the irons in my bag that get the most use. They're consistent lay up clubs (yes, I do that at times) and also suit my local Par 3/s for the most part.

PW

If wedges don't count, then either the 4i or 7i.... 4i for low punches out of the trees, and 7i for chips

Judging by the wear on the clubs... my 58 wedge.

Back