Which is better player?

Which is the better player?

• Total voters

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
So, two players play together and both shoot 94. Difference is, one shoots a 47/47 and the other shoots a 37/57. Which is the better player? Please click the poll for quick reference, but also put your answer in the thread along with your handicap or average score if you don't carry a handicap.

I've never heard of any player shooting 37-57.

you havent met me yet lol

37/57 guy obviously has the game within him to play well. Did he have a 6 pack at the turn? :eek:

47/47 guy is consistent but a 10 shot deficit is usually hard to overcome in 9 holes. I doubt he beats him on a regular basis.

37 guy is the better player who just had a bad back 9 for whatever reason.

I can put up 47’s all day long, but I’ve only shot 40 or under once. I think if someone can score 37 that takes more skill. A 57 might’ve been due to penalties, but I doubt it would be that high. I would expect the better player to adjust if his swing went south, and manage a bad round better/smarter

It's impossible to say, but I'm inclined to agree with the answers so far. It's likely the guy that shot 37 on the front is a little higher skilled. @Grins explanation of his scoring kind of says it all.

With a good front and a bad back nine there could be a lot of different reasons. Injury, liquor, weather change, etc.

37/57 has more potential. Likely a headcase..lol only needs some mental work

Seems like the 37+57 guy can be either really good or really bad while the 47+47 guys is a least consistent. I go with the 47+47 guy as the better golfer. I know I'm crazy. :LOL:

I am not sure I can vote on this one.. That is too massive of a gap to understand what happened.

Did the guy who went 37-57 chug a bottle of whisky at the turn?
37/57 guy looked at the leaderboard

Technically they are the same, because they both have identical scores

I think 37/57 should have carried a protein bar or two. They got tired and lost focus.:ROFLMAO:

Can't make a choice. Consistency is part of playing better golf, but one round is not enough data to infer better or worse. In the end, the score is all that matters. Both shot the same. How they got there is for the 19th hole.

I am not sure I can vote on this one.. That is too massive of a gap to understand what happened.

Did the guy who went 37-57 chug a bottle of whisky at the turn?

Not to my knowledge. Besides, he had better not have drunk any alcohol whatsoever. He's 15!

Thanks, guys. I should have let this go longer, but I spilled the beans already. This was all (ok, mostly) hypothetical. My son did, indeed, shoot a 37/57-94 today. He was very upset and commented that he wouldn't be as upset if he had shot 47/47, but the 57 was really getting to him. I can't remember how many penalty strokes he had. At least two, but I think that's all. It was basically alot of short game issues... chunked wedges mostly. I told him that I'd rather have a 37/57 any day because you have to be good to put up a 37. Two 47's definitely shows consistency, but I still say the 37 guy is a better player.

I once shot 56-43.. Was completely lost on the front 9 and started finding my swing again on the back. I was able to leave on a positive note due to a better back nine but it would be tough if it was reversed.

It takes skill to shoot a 37. I pick that player.

I am going with the 15 year old that hit a 37. You can always blowup a few holes costing you a massive score, but it takes skill to hit a 37 in nine holes.

Based on the data given it's hard to say. But the odds are the player who shot a 37-57 is the better player. Statistically, it is very, very rare to see someone shoot one over on a side and never get close to that score again. Falling apart for a side happens much more frequently.

But again, we're only talking probability.

The player who shot 47/47 might have had a really terrible round and actually carries a 5 handicap for all we know.

Someone shooting 47-47 is not likely to shoot 37 for nine holes.
This was my logic as well. We've all had blow up holes but shooting 37 over 9 takes a lot of skill

No one shoots a 37 unless they are really good. I have to agree with those who opined the player got a little tipsy at the turn or maybe he lives in CO and vaped something legal and was happy to shoot a higher score or maybe, if I'm being really cynical, he wanted to keep his Hcp up for betting purposes

Back