Which OEM "won" 2019?

McLovin

grateful for this community
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The year isn't over, and maybe there are some more products to be released before 2020. But assuming nothing more gets released, which OEM do you think "won" 2019?

Grandaddy homer-ism aside, I think it's Callaway. Flash driver and fairways. Apex CF19 irons. Stroke Lab putters. I don't know that anyone else released nearly as much innovative gear among so many different club categories.

I also think Cobra had a fantastic year, pretty much all because of the F9 driver. I don't remember another time so many people were talking about Cobra.

So who do you think "won" 2019 with their equipment releases?

Callaway again I think.

Wilson gained some ground with cortex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking Callaway as well.

I think I would have to go category by category rather than label one overall winner. Too much fantastic equipment put out.

I think I would have to go category by category rather than label one overall winner. Too much fantastic equipment put out.

i like that idea. a thread for driver. a thread for fairways. etc.

Callaway is probably no 1 in winning 2019. I think Titleist’s TS line really helped them charge in 2019 as well and only second to the chevron.

Ultimately, this is so hard to figure out without looking directly at sales numbers but it was good to be a golf consumer in 2019, that’s for sure!

I honestly don't know that I have an answer for this. Speedback was an exceptional release. Flash was very strong.

There were a lot of stand alone great products this year, but I do think 2020 is going to be a bit nuts in that regard. The year of the hollow body!

Callaway is probably no 1 in winning 2019. I think Titleist’s TS line really helped them charge in 2019 as well and only second to the chevron.

Ultimately, this is so hard to figure out without looking directly at sales numbers but it was good to be a golf consumer in 2019, that’s for sure!

sales would be interesting to see. i was wondering about perception among us nerds haha

and you have a point about titleist. they definitely had a strong year. when @MWard and i played together last week, one of the guys we were paired with had recently been fit with a combo set of t100 and cb irons. man did they look amazing!

sales would be interesting to see. i was wondering about perception among us nerds haha

and you have a point about titleist. they definitely had a strong year. when @MWard and i played together last week, one of the guys we were paired with had recently been fit with a combo set of t100 and cb irons. man did they look amazing!
Yea perceptions is everything among consumers. Titleist will likely always continue to be a leader among players clubs but other OEMs are closing the gap fast.

Taylormade. They won on tour. I liked their equipment offerings better (I only bought a new putter this year). They seem to have turned a corner.

Yea perceptions is everything among consumers. Titleist will likely always continue to be a leader among players clubs but other OEMs are closing the gap fast.

i guess we have to define players clubs, but i wonder whether the sales numbers bear that out

Taylormade. They won on tour. I liked their equipment offerings better (I only bought a new putter this year). They seem to have turned a corner.
Drivers are solid. I liked the M5 tour the best.

That said, I still think they are lacking in their iron offerings.

I’m actually going to say titleist. Why? Because they finally got with the times with the TS metal woods release and started trying to compete. Also, the T1/2/3 iron line is phenomenal. Sure they didn’t have a wedge release, but their SM7’s are still in the top 2 I’d have to venture, and their putters, which not changing a ton, are still popular.

I still just don’t feel like flash was as crazy as an update compared to the last Epic release, which I thought was a massive jump over the GBB line. Same with the irons. I really think they just had another solid release, but nothing that crazy beats even their own previous release by much.

so really, I have it down to Stroke Lab vs TS woods and T# irons, and for this season I’m going to give it to the old curmudgeons

I think Callaway probably did pretty well as 2019 saw a bunch of great clubs. But, that is kind of the norm for them. In my eyes anyways. I am kind of in the same camp as @Jman in the fact that you almost have to go category by category. With that being said, I think Cobra probably had one of the biggest successes with their F9 line of woods. In the convos I have had with retailers that I frequent, it sounds like they sold the snot out of those things. Those same people have mentioned that the Apex line from this year was probably the #1 iron.

I’m actually going to say titleist. Why? Because they finally got with the times with the TS metal woods release and started trying to compete. Also, the T1/2/3 iron line is phenomenal. Sure they didn’t have a wedge release, but their SM7’s are still in the top 2 I’d have to venture, and their putters, which not changing a ton, are still popular.

I still just don’t feel like flash was as crazy as an update compared to the last Epic release, which I thought was a massive jump over the GBB line. Same with the irons. I really think they just had another solid release, but nothing that crazy beats even their own previous release by much.

so really, I have it down to Stroke Lab vs TS woods and T# irons, and for this season I’m going to give it to the old curmudgeons

i guess it's all personal, but in my own testing and comparing numbers side by side, this was not my experience. flash was better than epic for me. and cf19 was way better than cf16. again, that's just my experience looking at the numbers.

There are a couple of ways to look at this I think. In terms of shear volume sales. Callaway killed everyone. it terms of market share increase? Cobra had a very good year and will have another very good year in 2020. They have positioned themselves very well in my opinion. In terms iron performance, and fitting Mizuno is king. Their shaft optimizer is an amazing fitting tool.

G410 hybrid is probably worth mentioning if we break it down by club type.

Drivers are solid. I liked the M5 tour the best.

That said, I still think they are lacking in their iron offerings.

I don't think the irons are that far off though. The P700 series stuff is pretty damn fantastic. I really enjoyed the M5. I think there is a market space for a less expensive cast GI set and the M5 could have been that. The marketing for that segment is always kinda strange. Taylormade's wedges are also intriguing.

Also, I have liked Taylormade's putter offerings so much more than anybody else's lately (save for the Cleveland Huntington Beach that I adore).

I am saying this admitting that I didn't really pay too much attention to new gear this year.

i guess we have to define players clubs, but i wonder whether the sales numbers bear that out
Referring to MB/CBs and the like. Thing is, each OEM has had their niche in the past. Today, it seems like every OEM can compete for the top spot in every category.

I would add another one for Callaway as overall OEM brand (including all equipment types). If I can divide by category, it would be as follows:

Driver - Callaway (taylormade a very close second)
Woods -Callaway
Irons - Mizuno with the new MP-20 Line (MB, MMC, HMB, SEL)
Wedges - Callway (MD5 Jaws is AMAZING!)
Putter - Taylormade (Spider X)
Hybrid - No Vote (dont hit them well for some reason)

I don't think the irons are that far off though. The P700 series stuff is pretty damn fantastic. I really enjoyed the M5. I think there is a market space for a less expensive cast GI set and the M5 could have been that. The marketing for that segment is always kinda strange. Taylormade's wedges are also intriguing.

Also, I have liked Taylormade's putter offerings so much more than anybody else's lately (save for the Cleveland Huntington Beach that I adore).

I am saying this admitting that I didn't really pay too much attention to new gear this year.
I was just at a THP event where the P790 didn't even crack the top 10 against other manufacturers. I'd argue the only reason they DID go was because of their hype, considering I watched on the range as many people started with them and immediately put them down for other options. From a hollow body perspective, they MIGHT be 5th right now on the depth chart, excluding the 2k+ options.

As for P760 or M5/M6, I guess they might perform well, but I'm not throwing away decent feedback/feel/sound for a badge personally.

Or more importantly what winning is. Sales? Growth in sales?

I vote Callaway because of Stroke Lab. Most will never buy into it but its something very different that they made sort of mainstream.

Tough to say I didn’t try everything.

All equipment is so good these days, finding the right head shaft pairing is so important

in my bag the best was my F9 Driver LA Golf Shaft combination head and shoulders above anything I’ve gamed previously.

I was just at a THP event where the P790 didn't even crack the top 10 against other manufacturers. I'd argue the only reason they DID go was because of their hype, considering I watched on the range as many people started with them and immediately put them down for other options. From a hollow body perspective, they MIGHT be 5th right now on the depth chart, excluding the 2k+ options.

As for P760 or M5/M6, I guess they might perform well, but I'm not throwing away decent feedback/feel/sound for a badge personally.

Interesting. I have always enjoyed them when I hit them.

Back