Which OEM "won" 2019?

Tough, so many good companies with great releases.

I say a tie between Callaway, Cobra, and bridgestone.

Runner up: Ping

Hard call really, and lots of good thoughts in this thread so far.

For me Callaway won pretty hands down, they hit some major high points with their releases. Great gear all the way around the bag, with product that will fit a lot of different games.

Titleist came out strong in the irons, Cobra came in hot at the end of the year with the T-Rails, Mizuno seems to have gained a lot of traction with their irons this year, I mean honestly. I think the consumers won 2019.

I'm going to ask a question for honest feedback and not to cause conflict:

do you think that's due to product and it's performance solely or does their interaction here and on social media boost the choices being posted? I ask because as it's been posted earlier, sales numbers for Callaway equipment and the accolades that results from those numbers are impressive.

I'll admit that I have a VERY strong bias here. But prefacing with that...

I think one of the thing Callaway is always very quick to point out is that they were killing the driver and putter count on tours/events where people aren't getting paid to play the equipment. And that says a lot. I've liked their stuff in the past, but the line this year is actually one of the more complete ones they've had, in my opinion. I think the social media/interaction here absolutely helps, but it's 100% backed up when it comes to performance.

I think I would have to go category by category rather than label one overall winner. Too much fantastic equipment put out.
I really like this response for a number of reasons. First of all, it's fair and measured. Second of all, it's consistent (at least as far as I've witnessed) with your history of unbiased equipment evaluation. You've been pretty damned fair, regardless of the company or the product, in your evaluations. I haven't been around real long but I first noticed it when the Epic was all the rage. IIRC you had it in the bag until you played the PING G400 series driver and kicked the Callaway out of the bag and lauded the G400. @JourdanInMich also kicked his Epic out of the bag in favor of the G400 driver, also, IIRC (he's another guy on here that I take a second look when he posts about his experience with a piece of equipment).

Your review of the CBX2 wedges this season was super exciting for a guy that already loves his original CBX wedges. I've said since I bought them that it would take a miracle to kick those out of my bag. I would certainly like to hit them before I take the leap, but your review (and updates) was positive enough that I would buy them sight unseen, without hesitation, if a "can't pass this up" deal came along. Appreciate the work that you put into this stuff, @Jman . It's much appreciated (by several around here, I'm sure).

I really like this response for a number of reasons. First of all, it's fair and measured. Second of all, it's consistent (at least as far as I've witnessed) with your history of unbiased equipment evaluation. You've been pretty damned fair, regardless of the company or the product, in your evaluations. I haven't been around real long but I first noticed it when the Epic was all the rage. IIRC you had it in the bag until you played the PING G400 series driver and kicked the Callaway out of the bag and lauded the G400. @JourdanInMich also kicked his Epic out of the bag in favor of the G400 driver, also, IIRC (he's another guy on here that I take a second look when he posts about his experience with a piece of equipment).

Your review of the CBX2 wedges this season was super exciting for a guy that already loves his original CBX wedges. I've said since I bought them that it would take a miracle to kick those out of my bag. I would certainly like to hit them before I take the leap, but your review (and updates) was positive enough that I would buy them sight unseen, without hesitation, if a "can't pass this up" deal came along. Appreciate the work that you put into this stuff, @Jman . It's much appreciated (by several around here, I'm sure).
I’ve definitely always been a ping guy when It comes to drivers - I prefer the feel and sound and they just seem to fit me better. Definitively gave a few drivers a shot this year and the G410 came out tops for me.

choices are good for everybody, it’s a great time to be a golfer. It’s hard to give a nod to one OEM winning a whole year. I think the year that Callaway has had in terms of driver, irons, and putters has been pretty nuts, though. That’s an unbiased opinion, despite where I’m headed in 3 weeks.

Tough, so many good companies with great releases.

I say a tie between Callaway, Cobra, and bridgestone.

Runner up: Ping

bridgestone is not a name i expected to read. expand please. what makes you choose them?

I think it was close between Callaway and Ping. They both had some incredible equipment that appealed to a wide audience.

@McLovin They are basically revolutionizing the golf ball and the process of fitting for one.

I will be super curious how the V Fit works long term because it is super revolutionary.

Callaway - The Maverik line is a high handicap, high MOI play and will be a backwards step from the epic

I'm curious how you know these things about a yet-to-be-released line.

A lot of good comments so far. I will agree you almost have to go by category as it's not fair to some OEM's who have great products for certain lines and weaker in others.

Admittedly I will Callaway the first shot at my bag for a bunch of reasons, but the main one being is they are backing up the performance claims with their current line. Top to bottom they have killed it and when tour players are playing their gear (without being paid) that says something.

I think Cobra and Ping have amazing wood products at the moment and they would be the first place I would look for that spot.

Mizuno and Srixon have brought some great irons to the table and have something for every level of player.

Wedges are so personal and the hardest to rank. we all ask our wedges to do something different and that's fine. I'm not sure anyone has blown anyone else away, but the current Jaws wedges have my attention.

Putters are similar with wedges. It's so personal and hard to rank because no one likes their baby to be called ugly. If you go with tour wins/players who play a putter without being paid, Odyssey is at the top IMO.

I'm curious how you know these things about a yet-to-be-released line.

It's that time of year when "leaks" happen and people are rushing to be the ones to have the "scoop" on the new gear. The best part is in about 3 weeks we'll get the real truth directly from the people who design and market the clubs. No hype, all facts.

Really, it was more about the "backwards step from Epic" comment I was curious about.

But, you're correct. We'll know about the specifics soon, and we'll try it out and see if it's a "backwards step" or not.

It's that time of year when "leaks" happen and people are rushing to be the ones to have the "scoop" on the new gear. The best part is in about 3 weeks we'll get the real truth directly from the people who design and market the clubs. No hype, all facts.

i can't believe its T-minus 21 days already

To me Hogan, TM, and Cobra, but I'm weird like that.

I can't speak to the entire market but Ping won my bag. Would have 14 out of 14 Ping clubs if I could afford them all.

I think I would have to go category by category rather than label one overall winner. Too much fantastic equipment put out.
Ditto

Bridgestone/Srixon.......They make exceptional clubs.

I am far from making things up. I have seen and hit it. It will be a burnt orange color way, no sliding weights, the big story is they had to change the Ti blend in the face as their old mix kept breaking during testing. I have pictures of this, and the new cobra driver. I obviously can’t and won’t post them as they are still under the embargo time.

Back