Which one would you play - break down the numbers

Molten

Man Down
Reaction score
Handicap
Submitted without much comment, take a look at these numbers and tell me which you would play. You can see averages, standard deviations, and dispersion circles. One I want to play, one I dislike the feel of, and one I like to play a lot. I was really, really surprised how close these were.

c19ff3a2c30d6b78ade2fc4937c6553e.jpg

Different heads adjusted to have same loft, different shafts, different shaft materials, same ball, same hour.

I’ll do a long iron one in the coming week or two to see if they have a bigger difference and technology stands out more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1 without a second thought. Spin diff is negligible, and the higher launch and ball speed makes it more negligible.

#1 without a second thought. Spin diff is negligible, and the higher launch and ball speed makes it more negligible.
Same here

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I lean #2. Dispersion and closer to target line. I also like the lower height.

I'm inclined to say #1, but I'd be interested to see the numbers on peak height and descent angle.

Either way, the numbers are similar enough that I'd say it would come down to look/feel unless there's a feeling you can't work one or the other.

I would say #2 based on similar numbers and dispersion.

The launch would maybe be the only reason not to.....

What club is it? 9/8/7?

I'm inclined to say #1, but I'd be interested to see the numbers on peak height and descent angle.

Either way, the numbers are similar enough that I'd say it would come down to look/feel unless there's a feeling you can't work one or the other.
You can get a rough idea of those from the graphic on the data. All three are silly close.

#2. Highest spin, overall distance the same , negligible difference in ball speed and carry but slowly slightly better dispersion. Since all of them are very very close go with whichever one suits your eye and feels the best

I would say #2 based on similar numbers and dispersion.

The launch would maybe be the only reason not to.....

What club is it? 9/8/7?

It’s a mix of them but they all had the same loft.

You can get a rough idea of those from the graphic on the data. All three are silly close.

Exactly - dumb me forgot to save the session data but we are talking around 29-31 yards on 1 and 3 based on memory. I can’t recall for 2 but it was lower.

Submitted without much comment, take a look at these numbers and tell me which you would play. You can see averages, standard deviations, and dispersion circles. One I want to play, one I dislike the feel of, and one I like to play a lot. I was really, really surprised how close these were.

c19ff3a2c30d6b78ade2fc4937c6553e.jpg

Different heads adjusted to have same loft, different shafts, different shaft materials, same ball, same hour.

I’ll do a long iron one in the coming week or two to see if they have a bigger difference and technology stands out more.

Honestly unless you hit 20 or 30 balls with each club there is negligible difference. Hit which ever one you want it, it won’t matter.

I agree with Paladin. Numbers are so close it would have to come down to look and feel.

Exactly - dumb me forgot to save the session data but we are talking around 29-31 yards on 1 and 3 based on memory. I can’t recall for 2 but it was lower.

I'm inclined to take a club that has the best peak height because I think that has at least as much an impact on the ball stopping on the other end as spin. Since spin here is negligibly different -- easily in the realm of strike overriding anything else -- I would take the clubs that induce the highest flight...unless it's a real pain to flight them lower.

Irons are a funny thing in my head right now, to be honest. Workability is becoming a bigger and bigger factor in my mind, especially being able to hoist and punch shots and take some off to find better yardages between clubs. I'm finding there's a certain ceiling that's inherent in some irons in terms of workability, in the same way there's a floor that makes some irons rather unforgiving.

I vote 2. Tightest dispersion plus lower launch angle will help when it starts to get breezy.

Honestly unless you hit 20 or 30 balls with each club there is negligible difference. Hit which ever one you want it, it won’t matter.

Each club had at least 30 data points. Club 1 has closer to 40 because I didn’t believe a few (too good for my game lol)

They are so close that I'd say pick the one you like the look and feel of. If I had to dissect the numbers and pick one, I'd say 1. Higher ball speed, higher launch and minimal spin loss. I assume it's a 7 iron? Take all the ball speed and launch you can get

1 or 2, depending on which one feels/looks better to you. Would essentially be a coin flip numbers wise. Since you said you don’t like the way one of them feels, if it’s either of those, it would automatically be out for me.

I agree with JMan, #1 for the reasons he stated.

Given those numbers I would choose #1 all other things being equal.

But honestly, the numbers are so close that I'd pick whatever one I liked the look and feel of the most.

Get the clubs you want to swing every time your on the course and not what the data shows.
You're a 10.5 HC. You'll make the club work for you.

I would think #2. Even though #1 has better ball speed, the numbers are very close. The dispersion on #2 is the best and ultimately for me, it is getting close to the pin. In addition, I personally think the launch is a little high on #1. If you look at launch numbers on tour, they are actually lower than any of yours with a 7 iron. My swing instructor with whom I worked last winter was continually trying to get my launch with a 7 iron down below 21. His feeling was that I would compress the ball better with a little lower launch.

They all are really close, numbers wise. If #2 is the one you dislike, I would go #1.

With all things being equal either 1 or 2 probably 2 gets the nod. Next depends on the look and feel of the club.

The thinker in me says whichever iron offers the most forgiveness for those days when you're a bit off.

Based on the numbers, I say #1. Best speed, best launch.

Back