Which shaft should I be using?

IndianaAmateur

Amateur Tour Player
Reaction score
Handicap
I have the Burner 1.0 with the uniflex stock shaft. My swing speed is around 116 mph. Any suggestions as to what I should use? Im happy with the distance I get from these irons but I feel like the flex might be holding back some spare yardage. Thanks in advance!!

Get on the mizuno shaft fitter at a local golf store or go get fitted. That's the best way man

The only way to truly know what shaft is right for you is to go get fit for it. The Mizuno shaft optimizer will have plenty of options stored in its memory and will help you select a shaft that fits your swing.

My stock answer is: get fit by a local PGA Professional who has current fitting technology (launch monitor, video, shaft analyzers). It's quite tough to do one over the interwebs.

Now a couple of questions for you: Is 116 clubhead speed with a driver? Are you sure it's not iron BALL speed? If it's actually iron clubhead speed, close this page, open google.com and type "long drive championships", enter the first one you see and win one for your buddies on THP.

I'm also not familiar with the "uniflex" stock shaft- our TM fitting cart offers the SuperFast 85 in both stiff and regular for the Burner irons. The only uniflex we offer is in the Callaway. (Which is a pretty weak regular on the frequency meter, to be totally honest).

Let me help you sort through all my gibberish:

1. Go get a professional fitting
2. Ask plenty of questions- that's what they are there for

Good luck,

Trevor Broesamle
GolfTEC Santa Barbara

My stock answer is: get fit by a local PGA Professional who has current fitting technology (launch monitor, video, shaft analyzers). It's quite tough to do one over the interwebs.

Now a couple of questions for you: Is 116 clubhead speed with a driver? Are you sure it's not iron BALL speed? If it's actually iron clubhead speed, close this page, open google.com and type "long drive championships", enter the first one you see and win one for your buddies on THP.

I'm also not familiar with the "uniflex" stock shaft- our TM fitting cart offers the SuperFast 85 in both stiff and regular for the Burner irons. The only uniflex we offer is in the Callaway. (Which is a pretty weak regular on the frequency meter, to be totally honest).

Let me help you sort through all my gibberish:

1. Go get a professional fitting
2. Ask plenty of questions- that's what they are there for

Good luck,

Trevor Broesamle
GolfTEC Santa Barbara

Yes it was Driver clubhead speed. Launch monitor at Golf Galaxy. How accurate it was Im not sure. Mine have the Superfast 85 shafts but it says uniflex. Feel like they are holding me back

Even if the measurement is a little juiced, that's still pretty fast. Way faster than a Superfast 85 can handle. It's likely deflecting too much, making squaring the clubface a timing game and creating unpredictable spin.

Sight-unseen recommendation would be something heavier and way more stable like a Dynamic Gold S-300.

Good luck,

Trevor Broesamle, PGA
GolfTEC Santa Barbara

Even if the measurement is a little juiced, that's still pretty fast. Way faster than a Superfast 85 can handle. It's likely deflecting too much, making squaring the clubface a timing game and creating unpredictable spin.

Sight-unseen recommendation would be something heavier and way more stable like a Dynamic Gold S-300.

Good luck,

Trevor Broesamle, PGA
GolfTEC Santa Barbara

Thats is exactly what I was thinking! I feel like its hard to square the clubface. Or even if I do there is to much flex going on.

Good luck,

Trevor Broesamle, PGA
GolfTEC Santa Barbara

With a SS of 116 in his driver, would an X100 be too stiff too? In a vacuum, what is the speed where you'd suggest X100 over S300 or S400? I ask as I've been clocked in that range as well.

Mcrew, do you use standard length shafts in your irons?

With a SS of 116 in his driver, would an X100 be too stiff too? In a vacuum, what is the speed where you'd suggest X100 over S300 or S400? I ask as I've been clocked in that range as well.

Mcrew, do you use standard length shafts in your irons?

Yes, they are the stock Burner Superfast 85's!

With a SS of 116 in his driver, would an X100 be too stiff too? In a vacuum, what is the speed where you'd suggest X100 over S300 or S400?

S300 would just be a starting point. At that speed, X100 is not out of the question at all. I've seen 85 mph (6 iron) speed fit into an X100 due to a quicker transition tempo.

Clubhead speed is just one variable; make sure your local fitter considers them all.

Trevor Broesamle
GolfTEC Santa Barbara

Back