which specs are best for the average golfer ?

DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
In recent years, whether I am talking to equipment sales reps, listening to podcasts featuring equipment company employees, watching marketing videos from equipment companies etc... it seems that no matter which company, a few points of message are common from each company:

1) big heads are better than small heads
2) graphite shafts are better than steel shafts
3) lighter shafts are better than heavy shafts

A professional fitting seems to be recommended by every equipment company representative or marketing message, and I have no idea if once fit the recommended specs match these points.
Regardless of the "get fit" message, do you agree that the above 3 points are common ones from every major golf club brand ?

An equipment company said graphite shafts are better than steel shafts?

An equipment company said graphite shafts are better than steel shafts?

For iron sets it seems like the benefits of graphite are promoted while at the same time equipment company reps lament that most consumers are reluctant to switch from steel to graphite.

I've never been fit but I think a bigger club head is easier for a hacker like me to hit. (Remembering back to blades and persimmon clubs, the game is much more enjoyable to me when I'm hitting a more forgiving 460cc driver, or an SGI iron.

My new to me irons have graphite shafts so I think that answers question 2.

The graphite shafts seem to be close to the steel shafts they replaced so the jury's out on that for me for question 3.

For iron sets it seems like the benefits of graphite are promoted while at the same time equipment company reps lament that most consumers are reluctant to switch from steel to graphite.

Can you provide a link to any of these interviews where they say this? I find this rather fascinating.

I think we, as golfers, try to emulate what we see working. So, we look at tour players and want to play what they play. I'd like to think/hope that golf manufacturers are influencing people to look at what's best for their swing. Like JB, I've never heard anyone claim graphite is better than steel for the average player. I've seen below average golfers with plenty of clubhead speed for steel, stiff shafts.

1 and 3 for sure, never heard number 2. Bigger heads just means more forgiving and lighter shafts mean more clubhead speed therefore distance. All else being equal, which it never is, those are two things virtually every golfer says they want so that's what the marketing droids focus on. Probably drives more sales than "Same performance as our last 3 models but they'll look snazzier in your bag".

Can you provide a link to any of these interviews where they say this? I find this rather fascinating.

You've written posts extolling the merits of graphite and, or, that players should consider graphite for their irons.

I tried steel shafts and did not like them at all. As for bigger heads, don't really matter to me. I can hit my 5 wood better than my driver, so the bigger head isn't the secret for me. I also like lighter shafts, but they cannot be extra light as I twist them on the swing.

You've written posts extolling the merits of graphite and, or, that players should consider graphite for their irons.
I absolutely have. I am however none of these people.

"sales reps, listening to podcasts featuring equipment company employees, watching marketing videos from equipment companies"

I don't agree that those are a common message from golf brands.

I do think it's disingenuous to assume brands are that disconnected with the consumer.

In recent years, whether I am talking to equipment sales reps, listening to podcasts featuring equipment company employees, watching marketing videos from equipment companies etc... it seems that no matter which company, a few points of message are common from each company:

A professional fitting seems to be recommended by every equipment company representative or marketing message, and I have no idea if once fit the recommended specs match these points.
Regardless of the "get fit" message, do you agree that the above 3 points are common ones from every major golf club brand ?

What's your definition of better?

What's your definition of better?

As for the definition of "better" my assumption is that the equipment companies have done testing and concluded that a bigger head is better because it is more forgiving to mishit shots, that graphite is better because it is high tech, that lighter is better because players are able to swing it faster than steel.

As for the definition of "better" my assumption is that the equipment companies have done testing and concluded that a bigger head is better because it is more forgiving to mishit shots, that graphite is better because it is high tech, that lighter is better because players are able to swing it faster than steel.

I'm not intending to pile on here, but high tech means higher tech. It doesn't necessarily mean better. Better performance, however that is defined, is better. It could be higher CH speeds, it could mean more forgiveness, it could mean less wear and tear on joints. I suppose you could make a driver shaft out of single crystal, semiconductor grade silicon. That's definitely high tech, but it's going to perform a lot worse than any graphite shaft.

Last edited:

What if "better" for me means smaller head because if it gets to big then it changes how I swing at the ball, that I get more ball speed out of a steel shaft, and if I tried an 80 gram steel vs a 110 gram graphite?

My point being better is relative to what ails the 'common golfer'.

There is no one answer.

This is a question that I have been curious about forever. I am a 20HC trending down quickly. Based on my Shotscope tracking I play slightly above average for my tee shots. I play about 3 strokes better approach but about 3 strokes below on my chipping and putting. So for my irons I think I am approaching the mid-Handicapper in categories.

When I am reviewing clubs I tend to look at the game improvement category but all of those clubs have way to much offset for me as my miss is left. But I want all the help I can get without the offset.

Remember, the OP question is do you you agree that the following 3 points are common ones from every major golf club brand ?

I agree with none of those things as general rules for what's best for any one golfer, but I agree that they are somewhat pushed by a decent amount of those people. As forgiving as you can stand, as light as you can control, are commonly mentioned. The graphite thing, I think it depends on who you talk to, and what their personal experience and incentive is. I think a lot of them generally push you to try them. I get asked if I've tried graphite by people a lot.

Remember, the OP question is do you you agree that the following 3 points are common ones from every major golf club brand ?

I do not agree that the 3 points are common from every major golf brand. Maybe they all would agree that graphite is better than steel in longer clubs like driver and fairway woods. I don't think that they would all agree that big heads are better than small. A bigger Rad iron might be better for me but not for Ricky Fowler. I don't think any OEM would say simply that lighter is better than heavy in all shafts

I would agree on 1 & 3.

I've played both larger, and smaller heads. The larger ones scored better for me.

As far as #2 , I had a set of irons ( 3i - sw ) with graphite shafts. I don't remember what the problem was, but I remember I didn't care for them. Distance maybe? I remember when I bought them, (at a seminar) the seller said they would fit my swing better than metal shafts would. I pretty sure I donated them to some charity.

Lighter shafts would tend to promote faster club head speeds, which would help with more distance. This would be a good thing.

for the average golfer, i agree the oem message for 1 and 3 is "yes" big heads are better (because they're more forgiving) and lighter shafts are better (because lighter can mean more speed and more speed can mean more distance). i do not agree that the oem message for 2) is "yes." i would say only recently oems have made strides toward offering higher quality graphite shafts in their irons; in the past i feel the graphite option was often inferior.

I think we, as golfers, try to emulate what we see working. So, we look at tour players and want to play what they play.
Is this really a thing? Do average golfers who hit a driver 220 yards look to play with the same clubs as touring pros who hit it 300? I’m an above average player who doesn’t hit it very far but I’d never even consider playing the same clubs as Tiger or anyone in the PGA. How could the same clubs they use help me with my game?

I think we, as golfers, try to emulate what we see working. So, we look at tour players and want to play what they play. I'd like to think/hope that golf manufacturers are influencing people to look at what's best for their swing. Like JB, I've never heard anyone claim graphite is better than steel for the average player. I've seen below average golfers with plenty of clubhead speed for steel, stiff shafts.

I have plenty of CHS for X-flex steel shafts still (can hit 103 CHS with 7i on Trackman 4 so probably more 101ish). That said I made the jump to a lighter weight lighter flex graphite shaft in my irons for one main reason. My dispersion rate was better all around. Anecdotally it was much better on mishits, I had some results I couldn’t believe how good it ended up based on the strike.

I’m 42 so I’m kind of gear preparing for old guy golf. 80-90g S-flex graphite shafts will be what I play all year. If I feel steel is better for my game I’ll go back, but I don’t think I’m going to.

This generation isn’t the burner bubble shaft which was my only reference point before and it was horrible, 😂

It doesn’t hurt that I get more distance, which will come in handy the older I get. Same head in an 87g graphite shaft versus a 105g steel shaft and I saw 3mph more CHS on average and about 6-7 carry yards. Descent angles and spin were close enough to be a wash.

Back