Which Tee Box Do You Play From? Why?

I'll play where the group I'm playing with is the most comfortable playing. However, if I'm choosing the tee's, then I like playing around 6700-7000 as those are the most challenging to me and my game.

A little different than most around here, but at least there's a standard. I think the most common colors for 5 tees is:
Red=ladies
Gold=Senior
White=mens
Blue=championship
Black=tournament

That is what I was used to seeing in Ohio. But it seems to be a bit haphazard on how it is done.

I've also seen in South Carolina:
Green=forward
Red
White
Blue
Gold=tips

In Texas I would usually see:
Red=forward
Gold/Yellow
White
Blue
Black=tips

This week I played a course in NW Indiana with:
White=forward
Green
Gold
Black=tips

I prefer to play the back tees, however long that may be, but will move up a bit if the guys I play with prefer to play at a shorter tee. why? Because I hit the ball long enough to play from there and I enjoy the challenge. It allows me to play more shots with a variety of clubs and I'm not opposed to having to hit long irons into some par four holes. I find that more enjoyable than having a wedge into the green all day long. Most of the time I'm playing with guys who play back as well.

I play the only tees my local course has. One set of tees, takes all the guesswork out of it.

But on normal courses, I basically play middle. 5800 yard tees when playing with my dad or some of my older relatives, and 6200 yard tees when playing with THPers because none of you know how to tee it forward.

~Rock

I usually look for the tees in the low-mid 6000s. I find those give me a chance to test all parts of my game, but don't leave me fairways into greens on par 4s unless I severely mishit a shot.

I just go by the yardage and how well I am playing. I play the tee that gives me a reasonable chance of putting the second shot on most par 4's on the green.

This somewhat echos the point I made earlier. I want to have fun on the golf course and fun for me is being able to hit 5-8 iron into the green, on my second shot (assuming a good tee shot), on a Par 4 hole. I accept that occasionally I may have to hit 4i, but I'll have more fun if that is an exception.

I've heard the argument "I play from the back tees so I get my money's worth," but I disagree with that philosophy. I don't care about getting my money's worth if it means shooting 120 and not being able to reach the Par 4s in two. If you can hit long enough and accurately enough to play from back there, then have fun. But I'll tee it forward and have a great time.

Depends on the course i play from 6300 -6800 yards much longer and i have to hit lots of long irons in and my game suffers
i really like 6500 yards

White and Blue...... it depends on agreement with friends.

I play from either 6000-6600 yards. Doesn't matter the tees but those are the distances I'm comfortable playing (TBH I would play from shorter distances, it doesn't mean my score would be that much better though)

My home course has three tees that I primarily play from - 6550, 6750, and 6900. Tips are 7203. I seem to score about the same from all tee boxes, which says a lot about my approach game. Also, there may be a slight altitude adjustment, although 2500 ft above sea level is not that high.
I do enjoy hitting 8-pw into greens more than 4-7 irons, tho.

i will usually play any teebox without giving it a second thought. At my home course, i play even the most forward tees. my round on Christmas day i played the 5300 box with a 7 iron and a putter. as a sidenote, i think you would surprise yourself on how well you can score with only those 2 clubs!

I still go off of what distance I want to play the longest par 3 from or if my buddies say hey want to play x tees.

I usually play one up from the tips or typically whatever the men's tees are. If I'm preparing for a tournament or playing with my pro buddies I will usually play from the tips. I'm not a very long player. Driver ss about 105, usually hit it 260-280ish. So playing the tips is fun for me sometimes because I'm hitting a lot of mid irons and long irons into the green that I usually don't get a chance to hit.

Try to stay in the 6,000 - 6,300 range, shorter is fine, longer is a struggle. But will play anywhere and still have fun, score might suck but it will be fun just being out there.

I typically look at the yardage and conditions.
Wet, muddy, soft course and I like to play 6200 or less.

Dry, firm, hard course and I like to play 6400+.

Typically here in denver I've usually opted to play from the tips, resulting in average 7k yards. In 2016 I plan on playing a big variety of yardages and courses

Typically here in denver I've usually opted to play from the tips, resulting in average 7k yards. In 2016 I plan on playing a big variety of yardages and courses
Weak.....

I usually play around 6500-6800. Occasionally will play a bit farther back.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Weak.....

I usually play around 6500-6800. Occasionally will play a bit farther back.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I'm not a long hitter like you. Haha

I typically look at the yardage and conditions.
Wet, muddy, soft course and I like to play 6200 or less.

Dry, firm, hard course and I like to play 6400+.

I agree with this answer, no roll off the tee can make the course play super long.

I agree with this answer, no roll off the tee can make the course play super long.
Interesting - Most of my shots don't go much further than they carry. I have been playing my "carry" distance for about a year.

Especially for a low ball hitter.

Or a high spinner, leaving pitch marks in the fairway or rough is no good with driver

Interesting - Most of my shots don't go much further than they carry. I have been playing my "carry" distance for about a year.

I play irons off carry distance, but driver/3wd/hybo off the tee should release. One local track is tight and in normal condition I'll take 3wd/hybo off the tee quite a bit and be in good position if it's wet/soft I'm hitting driver because it's all carry which can lead to big trouble on slight misses.

I look for the max amount of fun. If the scorecard shows that all the par 3 play 200-230 from the tips, then Ill move up a tee. My home course plays 7400 from the tips, so I usually play from the combo tees at 7000, but its all about the par 3 for me

I’m easy. Just usually go with whatever the group I’m playing with is playing from.

Back