Which Tee Box Do You Play From? Why?

I usually play the middle tees, though in tournaments I sometimes have to play the back tees.

I play the whites. I suck,so It works out.
However, I am hitting the ball a LONG way for those tees, so I need to move back

I play the whites. I suck,so It works out.
However, I am hitting the ball a LONG way for those tees, so I need to move back

Well look at you mr macho man. A month ago you couldnt hit your driver 225, glad your swing is coming around and you found something that works for you!!!

LMAO, I know what you mean. I will put it this way- I almost drove two par 4s my last roung. I need to move back.

My swing has got a lot better- The reason it was so short is that a 40 yard slice does bad things...
Well look at you mr macho man. A month ago you couldnt hit your driver 225, glad your swing is coming around and you found something that works for you!!!

It feels odd to be on the senior tees finally. Those snakes are lighting up the par fours like the Christmas lights in metropolitan Gray, Ga :D:golf2:

Depends what kind of mood I'm in. If I want to practice hard, I'll go tips. If I want to have a little bit more fun and give me some scoring chances Ill go whites.

one up from the tips

My home course has three sets of tee's, black (mens), silver (senor) and gold (ladies). For official events, men must play from the black until age 59. I'm 49 so I have ten years before I can officially move up, so it is black for me.

One of the things that drives me nuts is getting behind knuckleheads that can't break 120 on their best day, and they play from the tips. These guys also never seem to have the courtesy to let other groups through. Play from the tees that fit your ability....please?:at-wits-end:
Yeah I see this too. If paired with guys playin from the backs I'll usually just play ahead if possible. They never catch me. I play the mens front tees, but I love long courses. I'm just not gonna act like the backs are the right tees for my ability.

I like to play the tips but at a 12 Hdcp, it doesn't always make sense. I think it often depends on the length of the course as well as who I'm playing with.

Great thread and not an easy one to answer. I am a member at Forest Oaks Country Club in Greensboro where they use to hold the Chrysler Classic of Greensboro on the PGA Tour. Davis Love III redid it about 6-7 years ago and added a ton of length. The course from the tips plays around 7300 yrds with a 75.7 rating and a slope of 142. The green tees which is one up from the tips is still 6800 yards with a 73.4 and a 135 slope. Our group usually will play from the Green Tees (one up) but every once in a blue moon we will tee it up from the tips which makes for a long day of mid to long irons.

The problem I have is when the tour came to town they played on very fast fairways and during normal play the fairways are very soft with very little if any roll. To me that is the difference in yardage. I have played longer courses but they were firm and fast which made them seem shorter.

I do not enjoy hitting driver 4,5 iron into all the holes. I like having a variety of shots into par 3,4 and 5's. To me there is nothing wrong with hitting 3 wood, 2 hybrid and having a 7 or 8 iron in.

I like leaving a course and thinking back that I hit every club in my bag not just driver, 3 iron as well as driver wedge. I hope this made sense.

it all depends on the course

I saw a good rule of thumb in a magazine, it was take your 6-iron yardage and multiple it by a number (of course i forgot what that number was) and whatever tee yardage is closest to that number is the tee you should play from. It worked well for most courses but not all...

I have always played the whites(2 up from the tips) at 6000 yards. I'm getting a lot of wedges and shorter irons into most of the greens, and I have decided to play the blues(6400) to try to get the longer irons grooved into my swing.

I usually play the tips at my home course because its a pretty short course and if I play 1 up from the tips I find myself feeling weird off the tee box. I dont know why but I like to be just a bit farther back and not have a wedge shot onto the green on every par 4.

I saw a good rule of thumb in a magazine, it was take your 6-iron yardage and multiple it by a number (of course i forgot what that number was) and whatever tee yardage is closest to that number is the tee you should play from. It worked well for most courses but not all...
JN I'm pretty sure it's a 5-iron and you multiply it by 36. It was in Golf Digest. :)

JN I'm pretty sure it's a 5-iron and you multiply it by 36. It was in Golf Digest. :)

using that equation works for me

I started playing seriously last year, and playing the whites(+2 from the tips)(@ 6000-6300 yds.) was a challenge. Now I am playing the tips occasionally, and the blues(+1 from the tips)(6500-6900 yds.) at all other times. Gonna play with my friend next week, and it will be his first time from the blacks(tips)(7000+ yds).

I did play only 6-iron and lower from the red tees last week. It was very interesting!

I mostly play the mid tees, whites around here, because I don't hit the ball very far!

Back