Which Tee Box Do You Play From? Why?

I typically play from the white tees because the game is hard enough as it is and there is no need to make it harder. However, when I play with my college buddies, we play from the blue tees. Most likely because no one wants to suggest the white tees and get their balls busted for 18 holes.

i would play the tips... if i could hit it straight-er

Nothing worse than being behind a group who insist on playing from the tips but who have no business doing so

To make a hole a realistic birdie hole (which would make our game more enjoyable), meaning that we have a great chance of getting the ball on the green in regulation and fairly close to the hole, your tee shot would need to cover approximatley 60% of the total distance of the hole. For instance, if your hit your tee shot 200 yards, a hole that measures 330 yards or less would be a realistic birdie hole for you.
Use this formula to help you decide which tees to play and enjoy the game more.

LOL @ that metro Gray statement.
It feels odd to be on the senior tees finally. Those snakes are lighting up the par fours like the Christmas lights in metropolitan Gray, Ga :D:golf2:

Nothing worse than being behind a group who insist on playing from the tips but who have no business doing so

I agree. See it happen all the time. Makes me wonder what they are thinkin....

I agree. See it happen all the time. Makes me wonder what they are thinkin....

There was a course in PA, forget which one might have been Tattersal, when a group walked back to the tips the starter would call them over and tell them single digits only (with proof) from the tips, Thought that was a great policy as it was a very tough course from the tips...

i play the whites with my golfing buddies, sometimes even forward on the yellows if there is no medal competition.

the whites are actually the longest Tees at my home club, and even when we play at clubs that do offer longer we are happy to play to our abilities. its no fun having to cream a drive just to reach the fairway.
lowest handicap in my group is an 11 CONGU.

To make a hole a realistic birdie hole (which would make our game more enjoyable), meaning that we have a great chance of getting the ball on the green in regulation and fairly close to the hole, your tee shot would need to cover approximatley 60% of the total distance of the hole. For instance, if your hit your tee shot 200 yards, a hole that measures 330 yards or less would be a realistic birdie hole for you.

sounds like a great formula but for me its not the length of my shots... its the direction hahaha
even from 130 out birdies/pars are hard to come by when i have trees in the way lol

One of my favorite courses to play away from home is Purgatory in Noblesville IN. It was one long tough course. I think there they ask you what your index is and then tell you what tees you should play. Always thought that was a great idea. I know that I have no business trying to play courses like that from the tips. It wouldn't be any fun for sure. I go there to have, not beat myself up. I lost any ego I had in golf years and years ago.

The tips because I bomb it!

Usually play from middle tees with school. When I play outside of school it depends on who I'm playing with. If the person is good, I don't mind, but if they aren't so good, then I'll play from where they are. Except for the front tees! I don't want to create a hassle.

I don't quite follow. That would leave the golfer 130 yards to the hole. I read in Golf Digest if a golfer takes how far they hit a 5-iron and multiply that by 36 that would give the golfer the approximate yardage he should play from. For example, let's say a golfer hits his 5-iron 155 yards. If he multiplies that by 36 that would come out to 5,580 yards. Is that a realistic yardage that the golfer should play from?

JN I'm pretty sure it's a 5-iron and you multiply it by 36. It was in Golf Digest. :)

I think that is a little short but pretty close. I hit my 5 iron around 188-190 which gives me a yardage of around 6780-6800 which is pretty close but every once in a while I like to stretch it back a little depending on conditions. The harder and faster the course plays the longer I will go back but I play my course around 6800 because, as mentioned prior, it plays very soft and long.

Very interesting. I like this formula.

I think it's realistic VT. Too bad more golfers don't follow it...they might enjoy the game more.

By that logic, I should play from the tips. Ouch...
I think it's realistic VT. Too bad more golfers don't follow it...they might enjoy the game more.

As far back as the people I'm playing will stand to get my money's worth.

I play whatever tees are in the 6000 yd. range.

My home course has three sets of tee's, black (mens), silver (senor) and gold (ladies). For official events, men must play from the black until age 59. I'm 49 so I have ten years before I can officially move up, so it is black for me.

I find this to be a bit odd. Why would they rate you by age alone? My men's club sets the tees for competitions by flight, and the flights are determined by handicap, not by age. We have players in their 70's who still play to single digits from the back tees, and we have players in their 30's who have never broken 100 from the mids. To require either to play from tees which weren't suited to them would seem wrong to me.

And when you start talking about pace of play.... a 30+ handicapper playing from the back tees just ain't gonna cut it. :confused2:

Handicap could be a requirement to play at his club?
I find this to be a bit odd. Why would they rate you by age alone? My men's club sets the tees for competitions by flight, and the flights are determined by handicap, not by age. We have players in their 70's who still play to single digits from the back tees, and we have players in their 30's who have never broken 100 from the mids. To require either to play from tees which weren't suited to them would seem wrong to me.

And when you start talking about pace of play.... a 30+ handicapper playing from the back tees just ain't gonna cut it. :confused2:

I have found my handicap creeping up since I moved to our senior tees. The slope rating is somewhere around 67. My current average score which is approx 82 -86 has my ghin avg going up to a 15.3 I would have to shoot a 67 to 72 on the senior tees to be a low single digit capper. I can see clearly now that an excellent short game is essential, to maintain a single digit from the Senior tees at my course. Slope ratings can kick ya butt if you know what I mean?

Handicap could be a requirement to play at his club?

I suppose so, but that is something I've never heard of in a club which has members from both genders and all age groups.

I fluctuate between blues and blacks. It mostly depends on how many balls I have with me:D

For winter golf I have moved from the blue tees to the white tees because with the wet wet wet wet conditions here you get zero roll and the course becomes much longer. I still play the par threes from the blue though so I don't get used to short par threes and then struggle moving back to the blues in the spring.

90% of the time I play from the Whites (Mens Tees) and once In a while I will play from the back tees. I like to challenge myself once I a while. When you play from different tees it really challenges you, and I like that.

Which tee do you play?

Which tee do you play?

I usually play the back tee unless the group (friends or strangers) I am playing with decides on middle tee. I played a round with pga-am candidates who played the championship tee (was impressed). Also, I felt safe standing adjacent to the blue tee for my shot. Today couple of high handicappers played black tee while in played the blue. They shanked, pushed, chucked, choked, and drove shorter than me and played worse than me... It was annoying.

Back