Which Tee Box Do You Play From? Why?

Until this year I have always played the lady's red tees but now I play one tee box back (gold) some too. I like to mix it up to give me experience with different clubs and it helps strengthen my long game. Our course is shorter than many I play so this helps me prepare better for the longer courses.

I play all three tee boxes at my home course (it depends on what I want to work on). During tournaments at other courses I either play the back tees or the next ones up, it depends on how the tournament is laid out.

On a side note:

What tees you play from shouldn't be about yardage, i.e., ego. IMHO it should be about: "Can I get to most of the par 4s with a well struck tee shot and a mid-iron?"

I see many golfers using fairway woods and hybrids on many par 4s on their approaches. It's too bad they refuse to move up a tee box or two because they would enjoy the game that much more.

I Play the ones closest to the tips, becuase i'm not at the level to play from the tips yet.

I'm with Duey. 6,200 to 6,600. I used to be like Interlooper up until the last several years. Then suddenly I got old. Like Duey. LOL.

I will say I'm on a mission to get back some distance. He probably doesn't realize it, but since I had a PM exchange with a Forum leader where there was some discussion of tempo, I've been working on that, and have bombed a couple almost the way I used to bomb 'em.

Kevin

Old?? Hell, I have undies older than you Kevin, lol. But, I'm joining the gym this winter... watch out buddy!

I see many golfers using fairway woods and hybrids on many par 4s on their approaches. It's too bad they refuse to move up a tee box or two because they would enjoy the game that much more.

I agree Sean. During my round on Sunday, the clubhouse sent a couple out to join my wife and I. I was already teed up on the tips(Blue) and after I hit my drive, the husband teed from the same tees as I did. With the first swing of the round I could tell he shouldn't be playing back there. I told him not to feel obligated to play from the back tees with me. He replied that it was no problem, he does it quite often. His wife hit from the "white" tee box while my wife hit from her traditional red tees. Let's just say that both of the two folks should have moved up one tee box respectfully. I know they would have enjoyed their rounds a lot more.

Old?? Hell, I have undies older than you Kevin, lol. But, I'm joining the gym this winter... watch out buddy!

Wow, you have some old undies. I'm looking to shed a couple deck chairs off this body that is the Titanic. Then maybe I can get out of my own way and generate some power.

Kevin

Wow, you have some old undies. I'm looking to shed a couple deck chairs off this body that is the Titanic. Then maybe I can get out of my own way and generate some power.

Kevin

I hear you, but could use your deck chairs to generate some power, haha.

i play from about 6500-6900 yard tees. I will usually play what tees will make me hit a long iron into one of the par threes.

Hmmm, should start an "I'm old, and need to drop some pounds" thread to keep us all motivated over the winter

I play from the ladies tees cause if I have a 150 yd drive I consider I smashed it.

I normally play from the white tees. If the course is busy I feel that if I play from the handicap appropriate tees I'm not holding up anyone.

My course has 5 tees, and I almost always play from the tournament tees (second from the back). Usually I just play what my playing partners are wanting to play..

For me, it's more about being out there than anything else.. GHIN adjusts my score accordingly.

Multiply your five iron yardage by 36, this should give you a general starting point for what distance will let you enjoy your round. As others have noted there are variables to consider, this formula comes out to 5800 yards for me but if a course is dry and wide open I can play up to 6500 yards and still enjoy myself. I play a set of irons that are more true to the older standards for loft so that might have a lot to do with my being able to push this formula distance wise.

Forward, non-ladies tees because I suck.

Most courses around here have red (ladies), white, blue, and black. For the most part I play the blues or the tees 1 up from the tips if it is a different set up. However I will play from any tees depending on who I'm playing with. If I'm playing with my father in law and brother in law who both play from the tips I will play back there with them. If my buddies want to play from the whites then I'll play those. I find that the only real difference is on the par 3's. When playing from the whites they are some of the easiest holes on the course, from the blacks or blues some of the hardest.

I am a 6 handicap and like many have said I play 1 up from the pro tees usually. On short courses I play the tips.

I loathe seeing courses suffer slow play because someone "wants to play the whole course" but is not qualified to do so. A starter on a RTJ course put it into perspective for me when I was 21 years old on my 1st golf trip when my 11 handicap buddy asked how to play the back tees of The Ridge course. You should play the tees that let you shoot your handicap. Anything more is unfair to all the golfers behind who are doing the right thing. That is the whole point of multiple tees.

Usually try to pick tees from 6400 to 6800 yards. It's a good median for my golf buddies and I.

All the courses around here are different colors. But I play one up from the tips. I don't need to kill myself out there.

White tees, and my father & brother in law play from the blues....and we all end up within 20 - 30 yards of each other down the fairway.

On my home course we always play the blues......played Redstone in Houston, the tournament course a few weeks ago and we played 1up from the tips and it was still over 7000

I have always played from the white tees on every course I've ever played. Not really sure why other than maybe habit. As my driver has started getting longer and straighter I have thought about moving to the blues, but I still don't think my game is ready for it.

I like to play the furthest back, and not because of skill or ego. I hit the ball pretty far off the tee and the sad part is I hit a better 100-125 yard wedge shot then I do a 45-60 yard half wedge due to the suck of my short game. The courses around here aren't very long anyways so the blues are usually right around 6500 yards.

I play the tees from which I can hit an approach shot of something in the 120-160 yd range after the drive (on par 4s). For me, I'm generally looking at whatever is 6300 yds +/- 200.

Slope will play into it as well as whether I have played the course before. The higher the slope, the shorter I'll go, and if it's one I haven't played, I'll go shorter as well. For instance, I played a new course at 6100 yds 'cuz its slope was 125 and I saw it had a number of dog legs. Although I only hit driver 5 times (I think) I enjoyed it a lot more.

I play the tees from which I can hit an approach shot of something in the 120-160 yd range after the drive (on par 4s). For me, I'm generally looking at whatever is 6300 yds +/- 200.

Slope will play into it as well as whether I have played the course before. The higher the slope, the shorter I'll go, and if it's one I haven't played, I'll go shorter as well. For instance, I played a new course at 6100 yds 'cuz its slope was 125 and I saw it had a number of dog legs. Although I only hit driver 5 times (I think) I enjoyed it a lot more.

that an interesting way to look at it. But why a 120-160 approach? I think its fun having to hit a hybrid in. Not on every hole of course but you get the jist. Not arguing here, just wondering, I dont care how you play your round as long as your enjoying yourself! :)

Back