Which Tee Box Do You Play From? Why?

My game plan for May at PGA tour is to play the White tees. I will play the tees where I feel I can have the most fun . It will also give myself the opportunity to hit some of the longer par fours in reg. and play within my game.

I like the way you think Ole Gray. Occasionally, my group will move up a set and see how much fun we can have or how low we can go. We have one local course that has a set of men's tees that play about 4900 yards. There are at least 3 par 4s that are sub-250. It's a blast - one day, I managed to go 1 under!

I like the way you think Ole Gray. Occasionally, my group will move up a set and see how much fun we can have or how low we can go. We have one local course that has a set of men's tees that play about 4900 yards. There are at least 3 par 4s that are sub-250. It's a blast - one day, I managed to go 1 under!

I agree 100 %. Heck have fun at golf. I find so many people and some at our club who play the back tees and they struggle. It's like they like to put pain on their golf games. There are also a few vain golfers who have to play the tips just because that's what the big boys do. Heck I am going for the fun in golf from now on.

Front tees are perfect for scoring practice. I play all tees all the time. But when I'm not playing my regular course I play the backs. But Long par 3s grind my gears.

I agree 100 %. Heck have fun at golf. I find so many people and some at our club who play the back tees and they struggle. It's like they like to put pain on their golf games. There are also a few vain golfers who have to play the tips just because that's what the big boys do. Heck I am going for the fun in golf from now on.

Life is too short to self induce pain in a game that is supposed to bring joy.....:blob:

Smells like Cameron Hills or Four Weeds!

I'm sorry i misspoke...we have 3 options total. Women , Mens front and back.

Either the tips or the blues, lately I have been playing the blues because the weather has the fairways resembling bogs and I get zero roll out.

Jrod do they give mutliple ratings for the women's tees. A lot of the places I play, using a (black, blue, white, red format) will have a women's white rating which I think is pretty cool.

Also someone mentioned that their other half is not able to play "normal" golf. My Aunt is a 15 and she has actually gotten some news coverage because she is pretty outspoken about her annoyance of playing courses where her only option is to play a set of tees that makes her play driver, 3w, iron to par fours. Her premise is that the vast majority of women are not even able to play the course in the way that they are intended and that it would nice to have teeboxes/ratings for tees that are more appropriate. She has gotten a lot of negative feedback from it but it makes a lot of sense to me.

john

This is one of the problems with golf today. Too many players still categorize the tees by gender and age, and that is what keeps some players from moving up to where they ought to be playing from. None of them should be designated "men" or "women" or "senior". Forward, middle, back - black, white, blue, purple - oak, beech, palm, hickory - There are lots of good names for tee sets which don't pigeonhole the player. No "real man" is going to want to play from a tee called "women's", no matter that his game belongs there, but he just might play from the "Palm" tees.

I try to play from the tees that reflect my game and handicap. I usually chose by looking at the yardage, slope and course rating for each tee set and choose from there. If it's the first time playing a new course, I may favor the easier set if I'm sort of in between. My plan is to have fun not get beat up by the course. I like a course that slopes in the 120's and is rated a stroke or two under the designated par. If a course is fairly short, then I can deal with a higher slope, but I don't like playing a course that's too long for my game. Driver - 3W on every par 4 ain't my idea of a fun round. :dohanim:

I play the tees where I can get to the majority of the par fours with a mid-iron after a well struck tee shot. If I have to hit a fairway wood or hybrid into most of the par fours then I'm playing too far back. So, I look at the par four yardages and determine what tees I'll play based on that.

Front tees are perfect for scoring practice. I play all tees all the time. But when I'm not playing my regular course I play the backs. But Long par 3s grind my gears.

you would hate playing the tips at my course... one par 3 if the pin location is in the back and the teebox is set at the very end plays 250-260
thats driver/60 degree
heck the "short" par3 plays 200 with no bailout area forced carry over a pond... good luck when the wind starts blowing

my home course has 5 sets of tees with two additional hybrid sets that are rated. the yardage I play from at home is 6816 and 73.7/145. there is one tee box behind it....i have never attempted it. I'm not man enough to try it.

my home course has 5 sets of tees with two additional hybrid sets that are rated. the yardage I play from at home is 6816 and 73.7/145. there is one tee box behind it....i have never attempted it. I'm not man enough to try it.

i think im in love

I'm usually pretty likely to play one or two sets up from the tips, depending on how many boxes there are.

The course on which I usually play has 3 sets of tees. 1 women, 2 men. I usually play from the white tee box. We have 1 par 3 that is 235! A good 3 wood and lob wedge from 10-15 yards. If I play driver, I go over the green. I need new clubs with dependable gaps between clubs! That set of TM 2.0 irons would help out greatly (hint, hint JB)!!!!!!!!

I'm 63 and my golfing buddy is 70 - we both shoot in the mid-low 80's, when we're on our games. We always play the "white" or middle tees, except when we play with our "younger crowd," and then its the blues. About a month ago we played the "senior" tees just for fun, and it sure was fun hitting low irons and wedges into the par 4's vs. middle irons and hybrids.

Our last time out we joined a twosome. One of the guys was 86 years old, so we asked him what tees he wanted to play from. He replied "the whites of course, what fun are the senior tees?" LOL We played the whites, and the old guy shot in the mid 90's, and was a blast to play with. I had my best putting round of the year and shot a 79. If that ends up being the last round of 2010, it will be a memorable one.

I play from the women's tees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the most part I will play the first set after the tips, around here that works out to the blue tees as most courses go red, white, blue, black (tips). If I am playing with a group where everyone wants to play from the whites I'll play from there also, if a group I'm playing with wants to play from the tips I'll tee it up from there as well.

to be fair....when i lived further north....6800 yards would have been ridiculous for me. there was no way i could get down the fairways like i do in texas. up there i hovered around 6500. i played the other day off-site (The Quarry) with a few other pros from the area.....i played with them from the tips. really strange yardages. many of the par 4's i was hitting short irons into....and then a couple of par 4's i had three wood in and still couldn't get there. the par three's were insane. i was +5 on the first three and then on the 4th i had 245 yards to the pin....HAH! i pulled driver....knuckled it into the wind and made birdie.

That would be, front, middle and back. There's a lot of guys who should be playing from the forward tees who do not.

EDIT: Fourputt already addressed this!

Sam Snead once said that all golfers should play from the forward tees until they shoot par or better.

to be fair....when i lived further north....6800 yards would have been ridiculous for me. there was no way i could get down the fairways like i do in texas. up there i hovered around 6500. i played the other day off-site (The Quarry) with a few other pros from the area.....i played with them from the tips. really strange yardages. many of the par 4's i was hitting short irons into....and then a couple of par 4's i had three wood in and still couldn't get there. the par three's were insane. i was +5 on the first three and then on the 4th i had 245 yards to the pin....HAH! i pulled driver....knuckled it into the wind and made birdie.

Nice birdie. :) I only play from that yardage when I'm in a tournament. I really have to focus on my short game. I finished second in one tournament last September from 6800 yards. It was a course the women used to qualify for the US Women's Open. Tough track.

I'm 63 and my golfing buddy is 70 - we both shoot in the mid-low 80's, when we're on our games. We always play the "white" or middle tees, except when we play with our "younger crowd," and then its the blues. About a month ago we played the "senior" tees just for fun, and it sure was fun hitting low irons and wedges into the par 4's vs. middle irons and hybrids.

Our last time out we joined a twosome. One of the guys was 86 years old, so we asked him what tees he wanted to play from. He replied "the whites of course, what fun are the senior tees?" LOL We played the whites, and the old guy shot in the mid 90's, and was a blast to play with. I had my best putting round of the year and shot a 79. If that ends up being the last round of 2010, it will be a memorable one.

Great read, I loved it. At 51 and short, No comments bird or TC, I pretty much stay with the mid tee's. I did play the Blues a few times this year as well as join a weekly seniors group and play the senior reds, which was a blast. Golf, fun with the people you are out there with and the life style of golf is what THP and most here is into. I don't want to struggle with my game, I'd rather enjoy the course and company I'm with.

By the way, several of the guy's I met from the senior group are setting up an evening round next year with persimon woods and encouraging late model irons/putters. We'll stay with the senior tee's for that one, lol.

you should play the tips at our course this time of year... its 7200 and with the ground being frozen from tee to green you could punch an iron as long as it reached the fw it would roll until it hit something that would stop it... well... if you could get a tee in the ground that is

Back