Which Tee Box Do You Play From? Why?

I think you are playing the proper tees. If you are looking for a challenge, move it back a tee box, I bet you will score about the same and you will use some longer irons/hybrids into those par 4's. If you don't reach, it will test your short game by trying to get up and down.

I like to play 6800 and up, which is the back and tips at my club.

you should play the tips at our course this time of year... its 7200 and with the ground being frozen from tee to green you could punch an iron as long as it reached the fw it would roll until it hit something that would stop it... well... if you could get a tee in the ground that is

our back tee is 7400+. I should probably work on my wedge game before I give it a go. my GIR's will be looooooow.

6000 to 6300 is where I'm most comfortable.

to be fair....when i lived further north....6800 yards would have been ridiculous for me. there was no way i could get down the fairways like i do in texas. up there i hovered around 6500. i played the other day off-site (The Quarry) with a few other pros from the area.....i played with them from the tips. really strange yardages. many of the par 4's i was hitting short irons into....and then a couple of par 4's i had three wood in and still couldn't get there. the par three's were insane. i was +5 on the first three and then on the 4th i had 245 yards to the pin....HAH! i pulled driver....knuckled it into the wind and made birdie.

SD you are my hero good buddy :thumb:.. We hope to see ya down at WPB in May :golf2:

Normally I play the tips but this time of year I like to move up a little. Sometimes I even mix and match the tees I play during a round. Even the pros mix up the tees they play during tournaments, they don't always play the furthest back set.

I play off of the black tees.

So, what tees do you play from? I am 58 years old and after lumbar surgery 2 years ago, I have lost a bit of flexibility, however my control skills and short game still afford me a 8 handicap. I typically play from a set of tees that are in the 6000 to 6200 yard range for a par 72. My average drive goes 210 to 220 (ish) and I can occasionally poke one 240. This usually gets me near or inside the 150 mark on regular par 4s and I almost never go for par 5s in two. This seems about right. You guys/gals?:act-up:

I agree with your logic completely. Picking tees should be a matter of which tees will allow you to be at or inside 150 on the average par 4's with a normal drive. Par 5's and 3's vary too much in design, but there's around 10 par 4's on a course and if you aren't reaching them (length not accuracy) in 2 you're at the wrong tees. For me, that's usual a course length in the 6000-6200 range you mention.

Normally I play the tips but this time of year I like to move up a little. Sometimes I even mix and match the tees I play during a round. Even the pros mix up the tees they play during tournaments, they don't always play the furthest back set.

Good point. One course I play has the "whites" at around 6500 and the "golds" around 6000 yards. Normally I play the 6500 yarders, but last time I played the 6000's. It was like a completely different course.

I look at the course. I usually play from the whites, but I will move back to the blues if it is a shorter course. There is a Jack Nicklaus desgined course near me. I played with from the blue tees. It was a bad idea. I had a hard time carrying the hazards off of the tee.

I play from the back tees on my home course. I honestly like playing longer distances because it affords me the opportunity to take driver off the tee more. If I can put it inside 150 with a 3 or 4 iron, that is the club I am going with.

Since I usually go out as single i generally play whatever tee the group I'm paired up with play just for convenience , (white or back I don't go to the forwards if I get paired up with ladies)

I'm also of the opinion that they should be called forward tees not senior tees and using them should be based on distance not age. I know with age generally come a lose of distance, but I know a few old timers that can still really pop it and have no business being on the forward tees...

It really depends upon the course. For one course that I play often I like to switch it around. I don't always play from the tee markers either. Te course I play has blue and white markers. However they also have blue and white stones in the ground where the score card yardages are based upon. I switch between all three just to get practice from many different yardages.

When playing a course that I've never played or played once or twice I typically play the blue markers. If I'm not feeling great I'll play the whites and if I'm just feeling a little masochistic I'll give the champions tees a shot.

I would recommend playing a familiar course from the red tees. It completely changes the way that the course plays.

I played a course last month that did have two sets of ladies tees. One was pink and one was red. That's the first time I've seen that.

I play golf with my wife frequently. She often comments that there aren't many courses that have Ladies Tees that fit her game. She's a 32 handicap and can drive the ball about 150 yards - consistently in the fairway, but she rarely comes to a hole that she can reach the 150 marker with that drive. Her normal approach shot has to cover more distance than her drive. This is like me having to play 420 to 440 yard par 4s, and I rarely see those lengths from the men's 'regular' tees (6K to 6.2K yard layouts). She is at a disadvantage and this seems to be true for many of her friends, some of which are longer than her off the tee. I guess maybe some courses should have 2 sets of ladies tees?

Since I usually go out as single i generally play whatever tee the group I'm paired up with play just for convenience , (white or back I don't go to the forwards if I get paired up with ladies)

I'm also of the opinion that they should be called forward tees not senior tees and using them should be based on distance not age. I know with age generally come a lose of distance, but I know a few old timers that can still really pop it and have no business being on the forward tees...

I still have a little pop to my driver at 60 however with two knee ops behind me and a certain 3rd (no cartilage left in right knee) total replacement in 2 - 5 years. I have decided to move up. During the annual club championship, if you are playing in the senior division, you have to play the tees that are designated for seniors. With that said I have to get use to the yardages from what we call the gold tees. When playing a non tournament fun round of golf, all of the players 60 + play from the same tees so to speed up play and not stop twice I join em....

I try to play from around 6,200-6,500 yards depending on how many - or how few - tees are available. If my option is between a little too long or far too short I usually go with the little too long option (say 6,600 instead of 6,000). But every once in a while I'll play from far forward - like senior tees - where driver is unecessary (except to maybe to try and drive a short par 4) to mix things up and work on a different part of my game on the course. It's a completely different game almost when you hit irons off the tee and wedges into most greens. Fun to play with friends with everyone going for birdies or risking driving the greens, etc. But that's pretty rare.

I have always played the women's tees until this year. I decided a few months ago to move to the senior men's tees at my course because our course is pretty short from the women's tees. I can no longer reach the par 5s in two shots like I used to do regularly. It has really helped me improve with my longer clubs and with my shots off longer par 3's. I may move back to the red during the winter. It's tough right now from back there.

ive been paired with a senior ladies 3 some and had absolutely no problems playing the fronts... it makes the course look totally different and in all actuality it didnt make me all of a sudden shoot 10 strokes less or anything... all it did was take alot of the forced carries from the teeboxes out of the equation on most holes
closer doesnt necessarily mean easier

As far back as possible. It's great practice. When I went to University I practiced on a course that always played pretty soft (no roll) and around 7700 from the blacks. No course feels long after that.

Usually the tips.

are the fronts considered the tips?... cuz i might play there today if i lose too many balls on the front

I have a friend who moves to the senior tees with me today. He hits the ball a mile but his driver has been wayward plus his short game is not going too well. The length will not benefit him. In fact I think he is swinging too hard trying to strut his stuff and he is finding out it's more of a finesse game from the senior tees. Especially at our course. If you try to bomb and gouge the ball it will pay you the wrong dividends :banghead:

My group normally play the middle tees-about 6200 yards. But my club has a mixed set of white and blues which measure about 6400 that we play occasionally.

If I play from the tips my second shot is usually from the lady's tees.

What tee's do you play

What tee's do you play

Okay I am just wonder what tee's everyone is playing? My buddies and I will play the tips a lot of the time if it is warm and as long as it is not further than 7200. My self and one of my buddies played in college (it was a small college with not a lot of golfers) and we had to play that far back. We find it fun and challenging. I know that according to my average and handicap I should not be playing there but it does not bother me. Plus I have no problem saying I shot a 93 or so from the tips. From my experience I have about the same score even when playing a tee closer. Now when it gets cold we play the upper men's tee's for the winter. Any one else do something like this? And do you y'all think there is any advantage or disadvantage to playing the tips?

Back