Had the weirdest thing pop up on my phone yesterday. It was titled "The Twenty Most Underappreciated Bourbons". It was authored by Forbes or Fortune magazine, I don't remember which. It left me wondering how it could be that Angel's Envy, Henry McKenna, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Four Roses Single Barrel and Evan Williams Bottle in Bond, among other, could be considered "underappreciated"!

Good haul today (In CA). Does it seem like some bourbons are getting easier to find?

View attachment 9256442
I think its 2 things.

People began producing more and that stuff is reaching their 6-8 year old maturity now and it's only going to keep increasing over time. Also, people have tightened their spending a bit.

I also think it somewhat goes in cycles where people get bored and then move onto the next product. People get tired of hoarding Blanton's and it starts to become "less cool" so they move onto the next big thing that some youtuber tells them about. There are so many options and so many good options out there. NDP Blender startups like Barrell Craft Spirits being one of the early ones starting that trend seems to be the hot new thing right now.

Wife came through in the clutch.🥃🥃
1000008652.jpg

Just made reservations for a trip to Louisville in October . Anything that is a must see ?

Just made reservations for a trip to Louisville in October . Anything that is a must see ?
I really liked the tour of Angel’s Envy distillery. The rye in the tasting room was exquisite.

Additional vote for Angel’s Envy tour.
Note that they require reservations

Bought Buffalo Trace White Dog Wheated Mash just for the curiosity. I actually enjoy it. Strong vanilla and corn flavors. Almost candy corn.
20240414_100442.jpg

What do you like?

I haven't been to Louisville for a few years so I kow a few things have changed but I recall Evan Williams having a Speakeasy tasting where you go to a hidden bar down in the basement that was cool. I also enjoyed a small place like Peerless. specially if you like Rye. Michter's is right next to Peerless in downtown as well. Old Forester has a downtown location that I've heard is cool but I have not been to it.

If you venture to Frankfort area, Buffalo Trace is always there and a cool place but expect huge crowds and long waits. Wild Turkey and Four Roses are nearby and great places that are my 2 favorites.

If you want to go a bit off the beaten path but still visit a great facility, Maker's Mark is a bit of a drive past Bardstown but has probably the most beautiful location and they have a pretty cool tour.

Just plan for reservations for everything and always plan on more time between events than you think you need. Tours are all kind of the same for the most part since the basic process of making whiskey is the same. The great finds are what the gift shops sell that you can't get anywhere else or hunting the liquor stores depending on how much you are willing to spend.

Last edited:
Back