Hot take incoming...

For as hard as it is to find, Eagle Rare isn't that good.

Must be a distribution thing. Eagle rare is always on the shelf at every liquor store in the PNW. Usually about $35 a bottle and for that price its a solid every day drinker. The store picks are usually much better than the standard bottle.

Just got in a case of this...any good?

IMG_8976.jpg

View attachment 8963587

You can find anything... for a while Acme in Fairlawn had rows and rows...

I find that map is generally inaccurate for in demand products. It only updates 1-2 times a day but if a delivery arrives at a store and they sell immediately it never shows up. It will also show stock if they are holding bottles for restaurant distribution.

That and stores can be bad at keeping their inventory in sync.

overpriced, sure. Isn't that good?

I don't really love anything from Buffalo Trace.

Yeah, just not my favorite bourbon. I think there are better ones out there that I never have to go find.

Must be a distribution thing. Eagle rare is always on the shelf at every liquor store in the PNW. Usually about $35 a bottle and for that price its a solid every day drinker. The store picks are usually much better than the standard bottle.
Store picks of anything are always better. I think I know of a few stores that I can usually find a bottle, but I also see empty spaces on a lot of store shelves here for Eagle Rare. Even still, just not my favorite bourbon.

I don't really love anything from Buffalo Trace.

That may explain why you don’t like Eagle Rare. While taste is subjective, Eagle Rare (and Buffalo Trace) are generally highly regarded.

Yeah, just not my favorite bourbon. I think there are better ones out there that I never have to go find.

Post up some of your favorites that are not hard to find in your area. I find that distributors and selection vary regionally and would be interested to know what’s good in your area and whether I can find it in mine.

Store picks of anything are always better. I think I know of a few stores that I can usually find a bottle, but I also see empty spaces on a lot of store shelves here for Eagle Rare. Even still, just not my favorite bourbon.

Agreed as to store picks. And would add that they are usually a great value purchase, as well.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I find that map is generally inaccurate for in demand products. It only updates 1-2 times a day but if a delivery arrives at a store and they sell immediately it never shows up. It will also show stock if they are holding bottles for restaurant distribution.

That and stores can be bad at keeping their inventory in sync.
I usually call ahead. Use that map and call the counter.

Having an “Angels Envy” rye Manhattan right now... pretty good stuff

Picked up 1792 Full Proof and BIB Store pick.

Just saw that a whisky distilled just south of my city won World Whisky of the Year by Jim Murray... curious, since their normal stuff is sub $20 mix essentially. I'll have to track some down and give it a go. Though if it's anything like Crown Royal Northern Harvest and the hype that received, it'll be a few months before I see a bottle.

That may explain why you don’t like Eagle Rare. While taste is subjective, Eagle Rare (and Buffalo Trace) are generally highly regarded.
They're fine bourbons, but I believe most of their prestige comes from Buffalo Trace keeping the supply scarce (see Pappy). Add to it, the secondary market ruining bourbon with people buying cases and then trying to resell those bottles for 300%+. There's no reason that George T Stagg should cost $150.

Post up some of your favorites that are not hard to find in your area. I find that distributors and selection vary regionally and would be interested to know what’s good in your area and whether I can find it in mine.
I recently bought a bottle of Old Grand Dad 114 and I forgot how good that stuff is. I really like Evan Williams Bottled in Bond. Maker's 46 is excellent. Knob Creek Single Barrel and Russell's Reserve Small Batch are fantastic. I can find any of those in any grocery or liquor store and all of them cost less than $40, with two of them findable for under $20.

Just saw that a whisky distilled just south of my city won World Whisky of the Year by Jim Murray... curious, since their normal stuff is sub $20 mix essentially. I'll have to track some down and give it a go. Though if it's anything like Crown Royal Northern Harvest and the hype that received, it'll be a few months before I see a bottle.
Which one? I had a bottle of the Northern Harvest Rye and it was fine.

edit: nm Found it.

They're fine bourbons, but I believe most of their prestige comes from Buffalo Trace keeping the supply scarce (see Pappy). Add to it, the secondary market ruining bourbon with people buying cases and then trying to resell those bottles for 300%+. There's no reason that George T Stagg should cost $150.

I recently bought a bottle of Old Grand Dad 114 and I forgot how good that stuff is. I really like Evan Williams Bottled in Bond. Maker's 46 is excellent. Knob Creek Single Barrel and Russell's Reserve Small Batch are fantastic. I can find any of those in any grocery or liquor store and all of them cost less than $40, with two of them findable for under $20.

I agree that flippers are ruining a good thing. Although, I would gladly pay $150 for some of the BTAC offerings—if I could even find them.

Old Grandad 114 is a fantastic bourbon at its price point. I also agree that Knob Creek and Russell’s Reserve are great buys.

If you like those, I’d recommend Early Times Bottled in Bond, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, and Old Forester Single Barrel.

Cheers!

6bddbb7e073714df1b2f7800a246b47c.jpg

Made a stop in Memphis, Tennessee last weekend courtesy of Buster’s Liquor store .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that flippers are ruining a good thing. Although, I would gladly pay $150 for some of the BTAC offerings—if I could even find them.

Old Grandad 114 is a fantastic bourbon at its price point. I also agree that Knob Creek and Russell’s Reserve are great buys.

If you like those, I’d recommend Early Times Bottled in Bond, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, and Old Forester Single Barrel.

Cheers!
I agree on all of those. Anything bottled in bond is a good drink. I love everything Old Forester puts out. Wild Turkey doesn't put out a single bad whiskey.

I'm not all fancy. Mexican Coke and some JD this happy hour.
I took a walk anyway, so its now calorie free. :unsure:;)

after this hell week I'm having a nice glass of rye and lemonade.. i can't wait for tomorrow to be done, and taking 3 days off next week

Went out and grabbed a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch last night on a whim from the local liquor store. Just starting to get in to bourbon, and I currently have that and a bottle of Elijah Craig on the counter. Really enjoy them both. Not trying to break the bank at this point, but heading to a local bourbon bar this weekend to see what they have and try as many as I can.

Any must tries on people's list for the novice bourbon drinker?

Went out and grabbed a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch last night on a whim from the local liquor store. Just starting to get in to bourbon, and I currently have that and a bottle of Elijah Craig on the counter. Really enjoy them both. Not trying to break the bank at this point, but heading to a local bourbon bar this weekend to see what they have and try as many as I can.

Wow, really open ended here. Knob Creek 9 Year Old Small Batch, Eagle Rare, Wild Turkey 101, and Makers Mark (or Makers 46) are all <$35 bottles of bourbon that are findable. Combined with what you already have, that's a bottle from every major producer and the flavor palettes are pretty well covered.

There are 350ml bottles available for a lot of major producers or even sampler packs that are a great way to try a lot of whiskey for lesser prices that won't require a bottle investment.

Blugold’s got a solid starter lost there.
At the bar I try some Angels Envy. It’s a little different. Maybe some Blantons or bookers? Distiller.com is a pretty cool website to compare different bourbons.

Back