Hello me choose.. Once I get the kids down should I go with one of my regular favorites:
20200929_202633.jpg
Or something new and interesting:20200929_202708.jpg

Went out and grabbed a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch last night on a whim from the local liquor store. Just starting to get in to bourbon, and I currently have that and a bottle of Elijah Craig on the counter. Really enjoy them both. Not trying to break the bank at this point, but heading to a local bourbon bar this weekend to see what they have and try as many as I can.

Any must tries on people's list for the novice bourbon drinker?

OH BOY! TONS OF OPTIONS LOL! 4 Roses and Elijah Craig are solid every day drinkers. Some others that I enjoy include (but not limited to) Buffalo Trace, Eagle rare, Basil Hayden's (the regular NOT any of the specialty flavors), Evan Williams Vintage Single Barrel, Woodinville (local WA distilery may not be in your area)

I appreciate all of the responses guys! I’m hoping to get to try a handful of different ones this weekend at the bar, so I appreciate all of the responses!

Also, I knew it was super vague, but to be honest, your guys’ responses is exactly what I was hoping for! Just somewhere to start and build from there! Appreciate it, and will be sure to check back in with my thoughts!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate all of the responses guys! I’m hoping to get to try a handful of different ones this weekend at the bar, so I appreciate all of the responses!

Also, I knew it was super vague, but to be honest, your guys’ responses is exactly what I was hoping for! Just somewhere to start and build from there! Appreciate it, and will be sure to check back in with my thoughts!!

I know others may differ, but if you’re going to a bar to try different bourbons, I would try the bourbons that cannot easily be found — especially at retail.

Take Blanton’s for example. It’s incredibly difficult for most people to find, much less at retail. I would also try Colonel EH Taylor (any variant).

If we are talking high end bourbons, I would recommend trying any of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection. In particular, Eagle Rare 17, William Larue Weller, and George T. Stagg. Also, if you can find Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, buy a pour. Of course, you cannot forget the Pappy Van Winkle lineup, but they just don’t compare to the BTAC in my opinion.

Once you’ve tasted what all the bourbon hype is about, you can start your collection with bottles of readily available bourbon that any novice or expert would be proud to own. A few recommendations would be Old Forester 1920, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, McKenna Bottled in Bond, and Sazerac Rye.

Enjoy and best of luck to you on your journey!

I know others may differ, but if you’re going to a bar to try different bourbons, I would try the bourbons that cannot easily be found — especially at retail.

Take Blanton’s for example. It’s incredibly difficult for most people to find, much less at retail. I would also try Colonel EH Taylor (any variant).

If we are talking high end bourbons, I would recommend trying any of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection. In particular, Eagle Rare 17, William Larue Weller, and George T. Stagg. Also, if you can find Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, buy a pour. Of course, you cannot forget the Pappy Van Winkle lineup, but they just don’t compare to the BTAC in my opinion.

Once you’ve tasted what all the bourbon hype is about, you can start your collection with bottles of readily available bourbon that any novice or expert would be proud to own. A few recommendations would be Old Forester 1920, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, McKenna Bottled in Bond, and Sazerac Rye.

Enjoy and best of luck to you on your journey!

That is almost exactly what I was planning honestly. Appreciate the recommendations! Most of those were on the short list for the weekend already ;) They have almost anything you could think of on the menu, but all come with the "limited" or "VERY limited" disclaimer, so we will see what all I can get a pour of this weekend. I will absolutely check back in and share my thoughts and whatever I was able to try though!!

I agree that flippers are ruining a good thing. Although, I would gladly pay $150 for some of the BTAC offerings—if I could even find them.

Old Grandad 114 is a fantastic bourbon at its price point. I also agree that Knob Creek and Russell’s Reserve are great buys.

If you like those, I’d recommend Early Times Bottled in Bond, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, and Old Forester Single Barrel.

Cheers!
George T Stagg for $150?

Those things trade for $600 or more. I would even consider $150 to be a decent price and that Buffalo Trace underprices it a bit in consideration to supply and demand. Overhype is one thing but there are far more mediocre bourbons that are priced similarly or even higher than $150.

That being said for the BTAC and PVW lines, I would never pay the going secondary rate for those. I would pay slightly above retail if given the opportunity but the current market completely outprices my willingness to buy.

Since you live in Columbus I'll give you 3 suggestions in case you aren't aware of them.

1. McClellan's Pub in Dublin. They have their own private barrel selection of Weller Full Proof at a decent price.
2. Lizardville may be obvious. They have some decent choices there. Usually nothing too rare but a good selection across the board to try different things.
3. Opa Grill and Tavern in Delaware. Probably the biggest whiskey selection around and he has vitually everything. If you like Greek food and bourbon, this is the place to go.

Since you live in Columbus I'll give you 3 suggestions in case you aren't aware of them.

1. McClellan's Pub in Dublin. They have their own private barrel selection of Weller Full Proof at a decent price.
2. Lizardville may be obvious. They have some decent choices there. Usually nothing too rare but a good selection across the board to try different things.
3. Opa Grill and Tavern in Delaware. Probably the biggest whiskey selection around and he has vitually everything. If you like Greek food and bourbon, this is the place to go.

I appreciate the suggestions! I actually hadn't heard of Opa, but I am big fan of Greek food and bourbon so that will be on the short list!! We are headed to Barrel & Taps in Grandview area this weekend, and their selection seems pretty solid online. I haven't been before, but will be sure to report back!

George T Stagg for $150?

Those things trade for $600 or more. I would even consider $150 to be a decent price and that Buffalo Trace underprices it a bit in consideration to supply and demand. Overhype is one thing but there are far more mediocre bourbons that are priced similarly or even higher than $150.

That being said for the BTAC and PVW lines, I would never pay the going secondary rate for those. I would pay slightly above retail if given the opportunity but the current market completely outprices my willingness to buy.

See that's where I have issues. I have a REAL hard time paying much over retail on most bottles. If I find them for about 5-10% over retail, I might jump on them, but for the most part I pass. I get that they're rare and in some cases you're really paying for the experience of saying "I have" or "I've tried" something special. Hell I have a few bottles in my collection I've been offered upper end of $750 for because they're so damn hard to find here in South Texas. The real enjoyment of my collection has shifted from finding the rarities to finding those hidden gems that bring wonderful flavor for a decent price and availability. There's a lot of great pours out there that just get passed over which is fine with me. Gives me more to enjoy.

See that's where I have issues. I have a REAL hard time paying much over retail on most bottles. If I find them for about 5-10% over retail, I might jump on them, but for the most part I pass. I get that they're rare and in some cases you're really paying for the experience of saying "I have" or "I've tried" something special. Hell I have a few bottles in my collection I've been offered upper end of $750 for because they're so damn hard to find here in South Texas. The real enjoyment of my collection has shifted from finding the rarities to finding those hidden gems that bring wonderful flavor for a decent price and availability. There's a lot of great pours out there that just get passed over which is fine with me. Gives me more to enjoy.
The funny thing in Ohio right now is that we get loaded with Weller Special Reserve and Old Weller Antique.

I see websites online selling those for ridiculous prices but all kinds of locals are spoiled now and complain the the price raised to $50 for OWA. I like OWA and I’m fine with that price but I would never pay the prices I see them for in non-control states.

George T Stagg for $150?

Hard to tell from your post, but I think we agree that the BTAC retail prices are a good value and that we’d both pay $150 for them. And, in my opinion, ER 17, WLR, and GTS are worth every penny.

I agree the secondary prices are outrageous and I would not pay anywhere close to secondary.

Not entirely sure what you meant by there being far more mediocre bourbons priced at or greater than $150. I generally agree that price does not always mean quality and that there are a ton of great value bourbons that won’t break the bank.

Cheers!

That is almost exactly what I was planning honestly. Appreciate the recommendations! Most of those were on the short list for the weekend already ;) They have almost anything you could think of on the menu, but all come with the "limited" or "VERY limited" disclaimer, so we will see what all I can get a pour of this weekend. I will absolutely check back in and share my thoughts and whatever I was able to try though!!

Awesome! Please let us know what you find and what you try. I’m interested to hear what you thoughts are.

Most of all—enjoy your weekend!

Cheers!

Agree 100%. Let me know if you ever get out to the Houston area so we can grab a tee time and a beverage.

I appreciate the suggestions! I actually hadn't heard of Opa, but I am big fan of Greek food and bourbon so that will be on the short list!! We are headed to Barrel & Taps in Grandview area this weekend, and their selection seems pretty solid online. I haven't been before, but will be sure to report back!
I’ve never been there. I might have to check it out sometime. Genti at Opa is quite knowledgeable and they do tons of their own barrel selections.

The funny thing in Ohio right now is that we get loaded with Weller Special Reserve and Old Weller Antique.

I see websites online selling those for ridiculous prices but all kinds of locals are spoiled now and complain the the price raised to $50 for OWA. I like OWA and I’m fine with that price but I would never pay the prices I see them for in non-control states.

Yea I travel a lot (yes even with covid) and it kills me when I see stuff just on the shelf collecting dust that I have to enter into raffles to get a chance to buy them in my area.

Agree 100%. Let me know if you ever get out to the Houston area so we can grab a tee time and a beverage.

Likewise if you're here in SA. We can get @baylrballa in on it as well and have an afternoon of Bourbon & Birdies. Swap a club for a bottle of your favorite juice to share with the group ;)

That’s crazy. Not the situation here in Texas. While WSR is readily available, the rest of the Weller lineup are rarer than hens’ teeth.

I’d gladly pay $50 for OWA 107. Last bottle I saw on the shelf was selling for $110.

20201002_233116.jpg

Seems like a good night for it. :drinks:

My wife and I made a trip to the local liquor store and picked up some goodies. The Jim Beam was $22 and seems underpriced, a really good value. The Kaiyō is a really interesting whisky and I am damn happy I bought it. My wife bought a couple bottles of wine.

IMG_20201003_131725_637.jpg
IMG_20201003_170800_318.jpg

Once I get these kids to bed I think I'm finally breaking open the Jefferson's at Sea cask strength!

Tonights juice is Michters Toasted Barrel

Teeling Single Grain tonight.

Back