Getting ready in the tasting room.
62DE6476-3D88-495F-B2A6-060216E29E7D.jpeg

What is the Sorghum whiskey like? I've never had anything like that. I'm not sure I've heard of anyone else making it
Slightly sweeter. The Naked version we got was featured in a lemon drink they gave us post tour that was fantastic. With the new bar in our house it seemed perfect for summer

I don’t usually do this but it sounded good and finished the bottle so what the hell

7F251C4A-2FDE-4F0F-B219-9D670AB1051A.jpeg

20210506_162604.jpg

A rube returns to the fold.

I have enjoyed many brown liquors for years. With a good cigar, they are heaven on earth. I had a time when I explored all manner of Scotch single malts back in the 90s. I loved them, especially the highlands, like Macallan 18 or Balvenie
12 with an island cigar.

Then, I moved on to bourbons, especially in a Manhattan cocktail. Unfortunately, they made me somewhat crazy in public, according to my loving wife. Then, I moved on to rum bucks (a buck is any cocktail with a spirit and ginger ale), though I would often go to rum and cokes because most bars didn't have ginger ale and made their own version with Sprite and coke, ufda! But at home, I would still use a good ginger ale like Vernors or a ginger beer for the mix. I love dark rums like Bacardi 8, Bacardi Black, Zaya and my new favorite, Cruzan Black Strap. That has been where my body chemistry is aligned.

But now at 71, I am returning to the bourbon fold. I bought a supply of good starter bourbons and am starting a new path. Here is what I am starting with. I will add posts about how I am finding my way back home. Forgive me, for I have sinned, but I am on my way back to redemption.
d5f48d53f234f50b2e4d3b3a5f6858ef.jpg

A rube returns to the fold.

I have enjoyed many brown liquors for years. With a good cigar, they are heaven on earth. I had a time when I explored all manner of Scotch single malts back in the 90s. I loved them, especially the highlands, like Macallan 18 or Balvenie
12 with an island cigar.

Then, I moved on to bourbons, especially in a Manhattan cocktail. Unfortunately, they made me somewhat crazy in public, according to my loving wife. Then, I moved on to rum bucks (a buck is any cocktail with a spirit and ginger ale), though I would often go to rum and cokes because most bars didn't have ginger ale and made their own version with Sprite and coke, ufda! But at home, I would still use a good ginger ale like Vernors or a ginger beer for the mix. I love dark rums like Bacardi 8, Bacardi Black, Zaya and my new favorite, Cruzan Black Strap. That has been where my body chemistry is aligned.

But now at 71, I am returning to the bourbon fold. I bought a supply of good starter bourbons and am starting a new path. Here is what I am starting with. I will add posts about how I am finding my way back home. Forgive me, for I have sinned, but I am on my way back to redemption.
d5f48d53f234f50b2e4d3b3a5f6858ef.jpg
2, 3, 5, 1, 4

nice starting point overall though. 👍

A rube returns to the fold 2.

I decided to start crude and move towards more refinement as I re-enter the bourbon world. So, I just started with a simple bourbon and coke, made with Four Roses yellow label. I am pairing it with a Dominican La Gloria Cubana Serie R #6 cigar and a good book. It is 85, sunny and beautiful with a slight breeze here at home in Sedona on the back patio.

I am loving the taste, different than a rum and coke, but very satisfying and still familiar. Good vanilla and caramel tastes, very comforting. I have a pleasant buzz and life is good, almost like coming home. The pairing is great, the bourbon cocktail and cigar are a great complement to each other.

I will move to an Old Fashion or Manhattan next with a different bourbon (maybe with a glass made of glass next time as I move up the bourbon ladder towards straight and neat) and will post again when that happens. The future looks bright.
15204abc42cea6debe9121ca748c9aff.jpg
aef673b08bae506bdafb59a5292e6ae4.jpg

Interesting ranking, not what I expected. Woodford with the lowest rank of the five? I appreciate the feedback.
Nah, numbering the bottles L->R that's the order I'd rank them.
Woodford (#3) is 2nd.

View attachment 9001279Not something I would normally buy but bought on suggestion. Not the greatest bourbon I have ever had but for sure the best value I have ever had. Surprisingly tasty and a huge value at $22. I like it more than some more expensive bourbons like Buffalo Trace. I recommend you give it a try.
I’ve seen this mentioned on the Texas Tech forum I’m on. The consensus with people who have tried it is the same as yours. Not the best but pretty dang good for the price. I’ve checked a couple places around when I’ve been but haven’t seen it.

Thanks! Now that makes good sense based on my expectations. I appreciate the benefit of your expertise and clarifying my noob confusion!

Ate dinner tonight at a restaurant called Moonshine that had a pretty good selection. It’s right by Avery Ranch Golf Club so it could be a good place for a post round drink after the first Texas vs. Arizona round. Here was the list.
92C49909-FCB7-4FA6-90B2-4C99D539C7E6.jpeg

1620442910911.png

I haven't been able to find any of my favorite bourbons in a long time but today was a good day..
20210507_152824.jpg

Ate dinner tonight at a restaurant called Moonshine that had a pretty good selection. It’s right by Avery Ranch Golf Club so it could be a good place for a post round drink after the first Texas vs. Arizona round. Here was the list.
View attachment 9006807
$12 for EH Taylor Single Barrel is a great deal!

I’ve seen this mentioned on the Texas Tech forum I’m on. The consensus with people who have tried it is the same as yours. Not the best but pretty dang good for the price. I’ve checked a couple places around when I’ve been but haven’t seen it.
Has become my daily drinker as it is always on the shelf and cant beat the price @$25 for a liter. The more I drink it, the more I seem to like it.

Back