Ok, True Story...
On the Angel's Envy Tour, the guide was telling us how a taste tester tastes a Whiskey.
First Sip to prepare your mouth for the Alcohol that's coming - Think Listerine
Second Sip to prepare your Palate for the Bourbon that's coming
Third Sip you'll enjoy the taste of the Whiskey as the Distiller intended

I turned to the Guide and said:
"When I've been in England at the Pubs, they have saying:
The first one is the worst
The second one, sets you "straight"
The third one, you're on your way to enjoying the drink."

The guide actual wrote it down in her phone so that she could use the saying in the future.

So, the moral of the story, if your try a whiskey for the first time, give it 3 sips before you judge it, it takes that many to get the full taste of it.

The first smells and sips definitely all require some break-in to make it more palatable. Such is the complexity of whisky I guess.

I finally found a bottle of Amrut Fusion for $75, which is more in line with 2013 prices than 2022 prices so I'm stoked on that.

Did a fun taste test with my in laws tonight since I got back from Bourbon Bash. Drinking order below. Ranking next to them.

Redemptiom Rye - 6
1792 - 5
Trails End 10 Year - 4
Rabbit Hole Dareinger - 3
Angel's Envy Rye - 1 {honestly my favorite whiskey period}
Hibiki Japanese Harmony - 2

Currently enjoying the Rabbit Hole with a smoke on the patio. 8pm 80 degrees still. Nice breeze. Life is good.

Did a fun taste test with my in laws tonight since I got back from Bourbon Bash. Drinking order below. Ranking next to them.

Redemptiom Rye - 6
1792 - 5
Trails End 10 Year - 4
Rabbit Hole Dareinger - 3
Angel's Envy Rye - 1 {honestly my favorite whiskey period}
Hibiki Japanese Harmony - 2

Currently enjoying the Rabbit Hole with a smoke on the patio. 8pm 80 degrees still. Nice breeze. Life is good.
Man, no love for the redemption! I've enjoyed my bottle.

Pumped to see the AE atop. That's great news for our budding friendship 😄

Man, no love for the redemption! I've enjoyed my bottle.

Pumped to see the AE atop. That's great news for our budding friendship 😄
I wanna bathe in it.

Too much?

Last edited:
Lots of love for the angel envy rye. I'll have to try it out. I have a bottle of basil Hayden 10 year rye that is excellent. Stellum rye isn't bad either. I need to dabble more in rye.

I'll need to revisit - ponder - rye whiskeys again. Or, maybe just look at more high rye bourbons - a happy medium. All seem to be getting a lot of talk lately.

@Someonescoat what I think is interesting is that you have several types of whiskey in that sampling, from my look, bourbon, rye, japanese (which I assume is more scotch like?).

But in the end we all like what we like - so good on you and yours for performing this brutal task for us mortals.

Time to open a new bottle. Which one and how would you rank them?
2EDA7442-42E2-466F-A366-AA168E1E9C9D.jpeg

Weller 107 is one of my favorites out of this line up.

A new one for me tonight. I’ve heard nothing but good things, and if it tastes half as good as the cork smells, it should be excellent!
144FEFEF-1A1A-4D7D-9B9D-566BED6700F5.jpeg

20220906_205655.jpg

Hol-up, have I missed seeing pictures of the greatest green and gold toulon putter in existance?
Screenshot_20220906_211831.jpg
The West Chester Elks Corn Hole Champion needed a matching putter.

IMG577797526727557312.jpg

Scored this weekend........:devilish:

Time to open a new bottle. Which one and how would you rank them?
View attachment 9117900
You can’t go wrong with these pIckes. Nice collection you have there.

Weller 12
Weller Antique
Weller Special Reserve (I’m a wheated fan)
Blantons
Eagle Rare
EH Taylor
Buffalo Trace

Back