M2Giles

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8ish
In my boredom these past few days I have looked at all the major OEMs product pages and specs and was shocked to find these:

Callaway, Cobra, and Ping all sell a MB 2 iron:

Callaway Apex MB, Cobra King Forged MB, and Ping Blueprint.

I was surprised that these are even offered at retail. Titleist stopped selling the CB this year and Taylormade hasn't offered a single piece forged 2 iron in years let alone an MB 2 iron. Mizuno has been several years as well.

Who are buying these to even warrant carrying the additional skus? Pros (Beefwas the last witb I saw with one) dont carry these anymore especially with utility irons firmly taking over the market.

I would. Why? Because ego + curiosity = they will sell

Hard to believe there's enough demand for them, I guess enough low 'cappers must use them to make it worth their while to keep producing them. I see Matt on Golf Sidekick using one in a lot of his videos. A 2-iron is definitely way above my pay grade!

Hard to believe there's enough demand for them, I guess enough low 'cappers must use them to make it worth their while to keep producing them. I see Matt on Golf Sidekick using one in a lot of his videos. A 2-iron is definitely way above my pay grade!

He is using a zU85 or an earlier model. It is not an MB 2 iron but a hollow head utility iron.

Maybe people just want to feel that wonderful sting on their hands.

I really like what a 2-iron can do in the hands of a capable player. I'm not that player...

He is using a zU85 or an earlier model. It is not an MB 2 iron but a hollow head utility iron.
I had to look that one up, definitely looks like it would be more forgiving than a MB. I still don't think I'd try it though.

Anyone catch the story about Kevin Na feeling even he isn’t good enough to play blades. Wonder how many amateur golfers should be on tour given them being better ball strikers compared to a three time winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone catch the story about Kevin Na feeling even he isn’t good enough to play blades. Wonder how many amateur golfers should be on tour given them being better ball strikers compared to a three time winner.
I just read that one last night. I wonder what the stats actually are on Tour players who do/don't play blades?

I would love Mizuno to offer a 2 and 3 iron in the 919 Forged or HMP line.😔

This has to be a question on the next live thread with one of these OEMs...

The U85 and X-Forged UT are super easy to hit.

And 3 major oems sell a blade 2 iron. Not something that looks like a blade but has a bunch of extra forgiveness hidden in it but actual Tiger doesnt need to even bend it to play it 2 irons

I know one guy who not only has a 2( not sure what it is, but its thin and hes had it since college 20+ years ago) iron in the bag, he also hits it routinely and hits it 290+ with a baby draw. He is our current mens club champion.

I know a couple others that just have a 2 iron in the bag but cant hit it to save their lives. It's more a mess around club for beer rounds and bets.

I own an old 2 iron I bought at good will years ago for $1. Looks like a damn butter knife on a stick. Catch it right and it goes, but miss even the slightest and it hurts like a mother.

If you build it, they will buy it. Mostly

I know one guy who not only has a 2( not sure what it is, but its thin and hes had it since college 20+ years ago) iron in the bag, he also hits it routinely and hits it 290+ with a baby draw. He is our current mens club champion.

I know a couple others that just have a 2 iron in the bag but cant hit it to save their lives. It's more a mess around club for beer rounds and bets.

I own an old 2 iron I bought at good will years ago for $1. Looks like a damn butter knife on a stick. Catch it right and it goes, but miss even the slightest and it hurts like a mother.
About the only use I'd have for one would be low, running punch shots from under trees or something. It would be fun to take a few swings with one on the range just to see, but I don't hold much hope that I'd be able to do anything useful with it with a full swing.

Id bet that most of them get sold in the UK. When you are playing in 30 mph winds all the time, you still play a 2-iron.

Id bet that most of them get sold in the UK. When you are playing in 30 mph winds all the time, you still play a 2-iron.

An MB 2 iron? I mean how many people can get that thing in the air?

An MB 2 iron? I mean how many people can get that thing in the air?
The point is to not get it in the air. Ive never played in the UK personally but from everything Ive seen and been told, you dont want anything that goes up in the air in that part of the world because the wind will either knock it down or blow it into the rough.
Last week, I played when the wind was ranging from 30-50 mph and I kind of experienced this: anything I hit that went high into the air would either come up 20 yards short or get blown way off line. 🤷‍♂️

I get not wanting to hit it high into the air, but an MB 2 iron. I would hazard that a majority of golfers wouldn't be able to get that thing more than 60 ft into the air. It just would seem way too 1 dimensional to have any purpose.

Maybe as a workout tool?

I know one person who plays one and, honestly, they should not play it. I'm not sure who the right market is for that club but I have to guess they make less than 100 a year (at least I hope)

Suppose you are capable of hitting it. What would be the benefit of a 2 iron blade over a hybrid or utility iron? Would it be trajectory? Ease of shaping the ball? A 2 iron blade seems like antiquated tech to me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back