Id bet that most of them get sold in the UK. When you are playing in 30 mph winds all the time, you still play a 2-iron.
The guy I posted about earlier is from somewhere in or near the UK. He said that's why he hits a 2iron. He cant keep a driver on the planet and has a heck of time going over bunkers on shorter shots. Wants to bump and run everything.

Cant hit a driver but hits a blade 2 iron...

That sounds like a recipe for success.

I really want to know how many MB 2 irons Callaway, Cobra, and Ping sell each year. Besides putting it up on the wall I'm not sure there is any reason for them.

Cant hit a driver but hits a blade 2 iron...

That sounds like a recipe for success.

I really want to know how many MB 2 irons Callaway, Cobra, and Ping sell each year. Besides putting it up on the wall I'm not sure there is any reason for them.
First time I ever met him he was hitting driver all over the place on the range. Watched him just get frustrated more and more.

Couple weeks later I seem him again, no driver in the bag, bashing low irons to targets with ease. I asked what happened to the driver. He said he cant hit driver, never played one as a kid in the UK and hes just more comfortable with irons.

As I got to know him more I learned he ended up in the US in the early 90s to play college golf. Never become a stud but put himself through college on scholarship of golf. Hes now a psychotherapist and man can he get in your head when he wants to.

If it's just a sunday morning means nothing round he brings driver but any kind of match its just those damn blades.

He let me hit them once, didn't try anything other than the 4 iron. Couldnt get it 5 feet off the ground.

I played with a coworker about 7 years ago. He was probably 50 yrs old at the time but athletic (still played fast pitch baseball). He probably shot 90-100 on a regular basis. Couldn’t hit a driver to save his life but our other coworker had a set of Mizzy blades that had a 1i in the set. He let this guy borrow the butter knife 1i and Wouldn’t you know it this guy could laser it down the middle every bit of 250.

I'd love to be able to smash a 2 iron, but lack the talent.

Dave

I get not wanting to hit it high into the air, but an MB 2 iron. I would hazard that a majority of golfers wouldn't be able to get that thing more than 60 ft into the air. It just would seem way too 1 dimensional to have any purpose.
Check of Golf Sidekick on Youtube. He plays a 2-iron and says its his favorite club. Ive noticed he uses it all the time and hits a nice, reliable 200ish yard shot with it that is controllable and reliable.
I recently picked up a Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 2-iron because I hit my old Mizuno blades well but struggle with accuracy and solid contact with my 5-wood. Its got a bit stiffer of a shaft that Id really like but we'll see.

Last edited:
I understand it, if you make it there is a market for it.

The real question ja what are the quantities that they are developing, is it the same number of 2is as 6is? That’s a problem.

I’m sure they make a small amount and sell what they can if other companies don’t offer it you can acquire another customer.

As for the market, probably a very high spin player that has no issues with launch.

Check of Golf Sidekick on Youtube. He plays a 2-iron and says its his favorite club. Ive noticed he uses it all the time and hits a nice, reliable 200ish yard shot with it that is controllable and reliable.

Again that's a hollow bodied 2 iron I believe a zU85 or an earlier model. That thing has a very wide sole and a lot of perimeter weighting.

The 3 models I'm referring to are good old fashioned musclebacks. Something more reminiscent of when Tiger first won at Augusta or Nicklaus in his prime. And more amazingly Callaway and Ping sell them in left hand too.

I understand it, if you make it there is a market for it.

The real question ja what are the quantities that they are developing, is it the same number of 2is as 6is? That’s a problem.

I’m sure they make a small amount and sell what they can if other companies don’t offer it you can acquire another customer.

As for the market, probably a very high spin player that has no issues with launch.

Callaway and Ping even makes Lefty versions. There has to be less than 100 units sold.

Not many amateurs have the swing technique or swing speed to get the shot trajectory needed to carry the ball longer than they would a 4 or 5 iron.
For the Tour pro game I believe a 1 or 2 iron is an underrated club. Jack Nicklaus won lots of tournaments making good use of a 1-iron. From age 14 thru about age 24 Tiger used a 1-iron off more tee boxes than he did a driver. He had the technique and swing speed to carry a 1-iron a consistently straight 250 to 260 yards and this shot helped him greatly to win 3 consecutive USGA Junior Amateurs followed by 3 consecutive US Amateurs , and playing for Stanford the 1-iron helped him win lots of collegiate tournaments. For his college and early pro career Davis Love III typically swung a 1-iron off of 5 to 7 tee boxes per round.
I don't know to the OP's question of "who buys a 2-iron ?" I do believe that any pro or amateur player with the technique and swing speed needed to hit a 1 or 2 iron on a high trajectory should probably have one in their bag.

I doubt they make/sell many bladed 2 irons, and I agree that it at least appears most tour players are now using driving irons/utility clubs/hybrids. At lot even use "players distance" style irons in the 4/5 iron spots.

I just read that one last night. I wonder what the stats actually are on Tour players who do/don't play blades?
It's come up here several times. I think it's well under 50% at this point, maybe under 25%. It would be interesting to know of each OEM, which of their models is the most played on tour. I would think it would be models like T100, Apex Pro, P750, etc.

My thought is more along the lines of considering that hollow body utility irons exist now, how is there even a market for old fashioned muscleback 2 irons?

Just the number of players that have that need cant be large.

I know for Titleist the AP2/T100 is their most popular model on tour then MB then CB.

Taylormade I would suspect is p750 then p730.

Callaway I would suspect Apex Pro then MB then xForged. The Apex Pro is a bit unique given the number of versions of it on tour from a near retail version to a single piece forged version similar to the xforged.

Ping is pretty much the same thing with i210, iBlade, s55, and blueprints in play.

I do not think there is a single tour player these days playing a true 2 iron. There may be but I can think of any. All have pretty much moved to a utility iron of some kind that is hollow and offers some kind of additional benefit.

My thought is more along the lines of considering that hollow body utility irons exist now, how is there even a market for old fashioned muscleback 2 irons?

Just the number of players that have that need cant be large.

Hollow body clubs and, or, modern driving iron style clubs are much different from a muscle back blade 2-iron . The shorter shaft length and smaller head size may make the blade easier to square at impact, and hit consistently straight, than a modern driving iron club.

I get not wanting to hit it high into the air, but an MB 2 iron. I would hazard that a majority of golfers wouldn't be able to get that thing more than 60 ft into the air. It just would seem way too 1 dimensional to have any purpose.
From a numbers standpoint, for the occasions that I would want to use it, 60' sounds about optimal.

I would be surprised anyone choosing an MB over a hollow head at that loft. Even some amount of perimeter weighting makes sense.

More craziness, Ping and Callaway dont offer a 2 iron (stamped) in compact cavity back iron. Cobra makes a compact CB in both left and right hand.

Titleist looks like they dropped the CB 2 iron for this release.

Makes a great towel holder.

I do not think there is a single tour player these days playing a true 2 iron. There may be but I can think of any. All have pretty much moved to a utility iron of some kind that is hollow and offers some kind of additional benefit.

Tour players are as susceptible to "peer pressure" as amateurs. For example, prior to metal wood drivers and fairway woods most Tour players had either a 1 or 2 iron in the bag.
They played those 1 and 2 irons off of lots of tee boxes. The consistent accuracy helped them shoot low scores. In the 90's, when metalwoods replaced persimon, most of the Tour players took their 1 or 2 irons out of the bag, and with that change some players realized a loss of tee box accuracy. But since "everyone else was doing it", most all players felt compelled to do the same, which is peer pressure.

I don't think you'd have to necessarily be a 'very high spin, no problems with launch' guy to want to play one. Some people just feel more comfortable with an iron than a metal wood, like @ForeOnFour 's friend. Some really just wouldn't want it to carry far. There are times in Nebraska it'd be handy. Texas probably too. 60' high with some ball speed can play.

The market for it has to be ridiculously thin though. Probably a lot of show pieces like you speculated. Every den needs a club on the wall. lol

When I was looking for a utility iron/driving iron I was actually disappointed Taylormade made their updated 2 iron (UDI) higher launching. I wanted no part of wider sole ones, and was kind of encouraged by how many people said they couldn't get the original off the ground. I ended up getting the newer UDI, and I like it, but it really doesn't play anything near what I think of as a 2-iron.

Tour players are as susceptible to "peer pressure" as amateurs. For example, prior to metal wood drivers and fairway woods most Tour players had either a 1 or 2 iron in the bag.
They played those 1 and 2 irons off of lots of tee boxes. The consistent accuracy helped them shoot low scores. In the 90's, when metalwoods replaced persimon, most of the Tour players took their 1 or 2 irons out of the bag, and with that change some players realized a loss of tee box accuracy. But since "everyone else was doing it", most all players felt compelled to do the same, which is peer pressure.

Totally agree about the peer pressure. But I think they also see that a true two irons offers almost zero benefit. These utility irons are hotter, launch higher and will less spin.

Totally agree about the peer pressure. But I think they also see that a true two irons offers almost zero benefit. These utility irons are hotter, launch higher and will less spin.

For some players the traditional 2-iron is easier to square at impact (and hit consistently straight) than a modern large head driving iron.
The primary benefit Tour players (and top amateurs) used to get from their 1 and 2 irons was tee box accuracy. Early in the careers it was common for Jack Nicklaus and, or, Tiger Woods to play a 1-iron off of as many or more tee boxes than driver. A straight 260 yards off the tee all day really helps win medal or match play tournaments.

For some players the traditional 2-iron is easier to square at impact (and hit consistently straight) than a modern large head driving iron.
The primary benefit Tour players (and top amateurs) used to get from their 1 and 2 irons was tee box accuracy. Early in the careers it was common for Jack Nicklaus and, or, Tiger Woods to play a 1-iron off of as many or more tee boxes than driver. A straight 260 yards off the tee all day really helps win medal or match play tournaments.

part or maybe much of the change is because of the ball. The ball now does not spin as much of those clubs so they are much harder to elevate. Utility type irons launch the ball higher. That combined with less spin is much more playable.

Not to get into a loft jacking discussion but, the 2 iron of Tiger and Jack was probably around 19-20 degrees. Now a 2 irons basically considered 17-18 degrees. The Mizuno MP20 HMP is 16 degrees.

Maybe people just want to feel that wonderful sting on their hands.
I am so bad that sting goes right from my hands all the way into my soul. 😞😣😖😂😂😂

Back