Reaction score
Handicap
I prefer the one on the right.

Junkyard

A Work in Progress
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I just don't like the Honma logo on the back, so I have to go Taylormade.

shanewu

@shaneb0t
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
According to Preston Toulon who works at Honma, theirs were "in the wild" in December 2019, so...

templeton80

Artist formerly known as nvgolfer80
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
According to Preston Toulon who works at Honma, theirs were "in the wild" in December 2019, so...
that is completely accurate. They premiered at the pga show. At least that is were I first saw images.

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
that is completely accurate. They premiered at the pga show. At least that is were I first saw images.
Same timing, just not at show. :)

templeton80

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Same timing, just not at show. :)
sure. I was not implying that TM copied. They were long in development at that point. Gonna was just the first pictured.

djt311

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Both are very good looking clubs but I am going with the TM here

Doubleb21

AZTHP League Champ
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I think the TM looks better.

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
sure. I was not implying that TM copied. They were long in development at that point. Gonna was just the first pictured.
Oh no, what I meant was that Honma released at the same timing of the show, just not at the show. No booth.

templeton80

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Oh no, what I meant was that Honma released at the same timing of the show, just not at the show. No booth.
Oh gotcha. I thought I saw picture of them at the range. You were there and I wasn’t so. I will go with you. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: JB

BlueHen2006

Team THP #Grandaddy2018
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm going with TM.

buckeyewalt

Reaction score
Handicap
TM, easily!!

Tenputt

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 4.6
TM for me. Somehow it looks cleaner and sneaker.

donny475

You can call me SteakSauce
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I like the Honma, looks like it is more balanced, weight more in the center

Drumdog

Drummin' for golf
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.3
I like the TM better.

templeton80

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Seems to be that the TM is the people’s champion.

I can’t say I disagree too much. It is a stellar looking iron. I would love to try both and compare them. Honma clubs are just really hard to come by.

Crapgame

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
I find it interesting when two different companies walk the same track at the same time but don't really know the other is on it.

So, with that. Which of these very similar irons do you think looks best? There are some differences, but to me they are so close that if they didnt come out at the same time you could say one copied the other.

View attachment 8958670
Looked at a stock photo of the Honma and would agree with others that I like the symmetry better, but the multi-finish metal look does not do it for me. The TM's look sexier in a single finish.

Crapgame

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Seems to be that the TM is the people’s champion.

I can’t say I disagree too much. It is a stellar looking iron. I would love to try both and compare them. Honma clubs are just really hard to come by.
Honestly haven't heard of them before (not a golf junkie yet). What is the reputation and style of Honma typically? Does anyone on tour use them?

templeton80

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Honestly haven't heard of them before (not a golf junkie yet). What is the reputation and style of Honma typically? Does anyone on tour use them?
well there is a an interesting story with honma and the tour.

honma has long been a very high end Japanese brand. They are just recently (past few years) making the move and pushing towards the US market. They signed at the time the world number one Justin Rose and started releasing more appealing “tour” inspired clubs.

Justin then about a year (estimating) into his contract was unhappy wanted out and they parted ways. I heard he mainly with the support at tour events but I honestly don’t know if that was the case.

@JB probably has more info there. The past two years or so they have put out some quality looking stuff though. Their first driver has a bit of a rocky story as well but again. I don’t have all the details there either.

Crapgame

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score

honma has long been a very high end Japanese brand. They are just recently (past few years) making the move and pushing towards the US market. They signed at the time the world number one Justin Rose and started releasing more appealing “tour” inspired clubs.

Justin then about a year (estimating) into his contract was unhappy wanted out and they parted ways. I heard he mainly with the support at tour events but I honestly don’t know if that was the case.

@JB probably has more info there. The past two years or so they have put out some quality looking stuff though. Their first driver has a bit of a rocky story as well but again. I don’t have all the details there either.
Interesting, thanks. Are they on par with XXIO or even superior based on price point and supposed quality?

templeton80

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Interesting, thanks. Are they on par with XXIO or even superior based on price point and supposed quality?
hard to say there. I am not sure.

Hacker Rod

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
You betcha
TaylorMade for me. Honestly, I've always been put off by Honma's logo. Nothing against the club or brand, just a personal thing.

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score

Pretty solid summary. They came over to North America in full back in 2016, when they hired Adam Sheldon(preciously of Cleveland) to run operations. We did a really cool thing wit them at the time called the Countdown. After a couple of years and him making inroads, things changed and they hired Mark King as a consultant.

when we first got that news we were asked to keep it under wraps, ironically enough it was just enough time for them to feed the story elsewhere, but they apologized. 😀

From there Mark hired some of his former TM team like Kawaja that now runs it generally speaking. Moved their office and then signed Justin Rose. I don’t remember if he was #1 then, but it’s possible for sure.

Mark left for Taco Bell and Rose split. They have a new PR team and are still putting out equipment and making a run at it.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in