Who did it best!? You be the Judge

I prefer the one on the right.

I just don't like the Honma logo on the back, so I have to go Taylormade.

According to Preston Toulon who works at Honma, theirs were "in the wild" in December 2019, so...

According to Preston Toulon who works at Honma, theirs were "in the wild" in December 2019, so...

that is completely accurate. They premiered at the pga show. At least that is were I first saw images.

that is completely accurate. They premiered at the pga show. At least that is were I first saw images.

Same timing, just not at show. :)

Same timing, just not at show. :)

sure. I was not implying that TM copied. They were long in development at that point. Gonna was just the first pictured.

Both are very good looking clubs but I am going with the TM here

I think the TM looks better.

sure. I was not implying that TM copied. They were long in development at that point. Gonna was just the first pictured.
Oh no, what I meant was that Honma released at the same timing of the show, just not at the show. No booth.

Oh no, what I meant was that Honma released at the same timing of the show, just not at the show. No booth.

Oh gotcha. I thought I saw picture of them at the range. You were there and I wasn’t so. I will go with you. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: JB
I'm going with TM.

TM, easily!!

TM for me. Somehow it looks cleaner and sneaker.

I like the Honma, looks like it is more balanced, weight more in the center

I like the TM better.

TM for me

Seems to be that the TM is the people’s champion.

I can’t say I disagree too much. It is a stellar looking iron. I would love to try both and compare them. Honma clubs are just really hard to come by.

I find it interesting when two different companies walk the same track at the same time but don't really know the other is on it.

So, with that. Which of these very similar irons do you think looks best? There are some differences, but to me they are so close that if they didnt come out at the same time you could say one copied the other.

View attachment 8958670

Looked at a stock photo of the Honma and would agree with others that I like the symmetry better, but the multi-finish metal look does not do it for me. The TM's look sexier in a single finish.

Seems to be that the TM is the people’s champion.

I can’t say I disagree too much. It is a stellar looking iron. I would love to try both and compare them. Honma clubs are just really hard to come by.

Honestly haven't heard of them before (not a golf junkie yet). What is the reputation and style of Honma typically? Does anyone on tour use them?

Honestly haven't heard of them before (not a golf junkie yet). What is the reputation and style of Honma typically? Does anyone on tour use them?

well there is a an interesting story with honma and the tour.

honma has long been a very high end Japanese brand. They are just recently (past few years) making the move and pushing towards the US market. They signed at the time the world number one Justin Rose and started releasing more appealing “tour” inspired clubs.

Justin then about a year (estimating) into his contract was unhappy wanted out and they parted ways. I heard he mainly with the support at tour events but I honestly don’t know if that was the case.

@JB probably has more info there. The past two years or so they have put out some quality looking stuff though. Their first driver has a bit of a rocky story as well but again. I don’t have all the details there either.

honma has long been a very high end Japanese brand. They are just recently (past few years) making the move and pushing towards the US market. They signed at the time the world number one Justin Rose and started releasing more appealing “tour” inspired clubs.

Justin then about a year (estimating) into his contract was unhappy wanted out and they parted ways. I heard he mainly with the support at tour events but I honestly don’t know if that was the case.

@JB probably has more info there. The past two years or so they have put out some quality looking stuff though. Their first driver has a bit of a rocky story as well but again. I don’t have all the details there either.

Interesting, thanks. Are they on par with XXIO or even superior based on price point and supposed quality?

Interesting, thanks. Are they on par with XXIO or even superior based on price point and supposed quality?

hard to say there. I am not sure.

TaylorMade for me. Honestly, I've always been put off by Honma's logo. Nothing against the club or brand, just a personal thing.

Pretty solid summary. They came over to North America in full back in 2016, when they hired Adam Sheldon(preciously of Cleveland) to run operations. We did a really cool thing wit them at the time called the Countdown. After a couple of years and him making inroads, things changed and they hired Mark King as a consultant.

when we first got that news we were asked to keep it under wraps, ironically enough it was just enough time for them to feed the story elsewhere, but they apologized. 😀

From there Mark hired some of his former TM team like Kawaja that now runs it generally speaking. Moved their office and then signed Justin Rose. I don’t remember if he was #1 then, but it’s possible for sure.

Mark left for Taco Bell and Rose split. They have a new PR team and are still putting out equipment and making a run at it.

Back