On the PGA tour?

Negative, that (and the fact that the comment I quoted said "golf" and not "golf on the PGA Tour") is why I said world record and not PGA Tour record, but other than the location on the forum, there was no discussion of the number being posted in an official event. Either way, the Furyk comment stands. So far, he's the only one that's proven he can do it. All other names are just conjecture.

Currently Justin Thomas. In is prime Tiger.

Negative, that (and the fact that the comment I quoted said "golf" and not "golf on the PGA Tour") is why I said world record and not PGA Tour record, but other than the location on the forum, there was no discussion of the number being posted in an official event. Either way, the Furyk comment stands. So far, he's the only one that's proven he can do it. All other names are just conjecture.

Wasn't Hadwin's 2017 59 actually better than Furyk's 58 in terms of scoring low? 59 on a par 72 instead of 58 on a par 70. So then technically it's Hadwin until proven otherwise of current players.

• Mind Blown
Reactions: JB
Wasn't Hadwin's 2017 59 actually better than Furyk's 58 in terms of scoring low? 59 on a par 72 instead of 58 on a par 70. So then technically it's Hadwin until proven otherwise of current players.

I didn't see any talk of relation to par. The discussion, so far, was who could go lower. Par is just an arbitrary number.

Furyk caught lightning in a bottle twice in his career with a 59, and a 58. But I don't think he currently has the ability to do that again. I guess anything is possible though.

As far as current PGA players, I think JT has proven he can put down some really low numbers. Rory is an interesting choice, but he constantly struggles with his putting and wedge play. Spieth is another interesting choice as he's so good with his short game, but constantly struggles with consistency off the tee.

Has to be JT.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'd even offer up for debate the fact that the course Hadwin shot his 59 on was 7,060 yards and the course Furyk shot his 58 on was 6,841 yards. So, for 219 more yards and 2 more strokes to par, it looks fairly even. When looking at average distances for the holes, Furyk's par 3's were 188.5y average to Hadwin's 194.5 (maybe 1/2 club... insignificant), Furyk's par 4's were 415.83y to Hadwin's 414.9y (it doesn't get much closer than that), but Furyk's par 5's averaged 548.5y to Hadwin's 533.25y (over 15y longer).

I'd say the edge goes to Furyk.

Rickie, Justin, brooks, DJ and Rory can take it deep at moments notice.

Rory in my opinion. When clicking on all cylinders, I don't think anybody beats him.

I’d take Justin or brooks over RORs if all the stars are aligned.

I didn't see any talk of relation to par. The discussion, so far, was who could go lower. Par is just an arbitrary number.

I'd even offer up for debate the fact that the course Hadwin shot his 59 on was 7,060 yards and the course Furyk shot his 58 on was 6,841 yards. So, for 219 more yards and 2 more strokes to par, it looks fairly even. When looking at average distances for the holes, Furyk's par 3's were 188.5y average to Hadwin's 194.5 (maybe 1/2 club... insignificant), Furyk's par 4's were 415.83y to Hadwin's 414.9y (it doesn't get much closer than that), but Furyk's par 5's averaged 548.5y to Hadwin's 533.25y (over 15y longer).

I'd say the edge goes to Furyk.

Hadwin shot -13 and Furyk shot -12. How is Furyk's better in this discussion? If we're talking about the ability to go low, and you're throwing Furyk out there, Hadwin went lower...

This is tough, but I think I’d have to go with Rory.

I'm going Justin Thomas.. when he's firing on all cylinders it's so much fun to watch.

Rory.

To be honest I'm not sure we've ever seen him firing on all cylinders to this point, including his Major wins.

I would have to say JT. Q

Hadwin shot -13 and Furyk shot -12. How is Furyk's better in this discussion? If we're talking about the ability to go low, and you're throwing Furyk out there, Hadwin went lower...

I always thought 58 was lower than 59. Maybe I was wrong. If I was, I'm sorry. If I wasn't, I'm not.

I interpret go low not in a single round such as 58, but more relative to the field over the course of four rounds. On demand, when it counts, I'd rank:

1) Brooks
2) DJ
3) JT
4) Rors
5) Rickie

Spieth would be my answer. Firing on all cylinders would mean hes not offline off the tee and his above average putting and short game are on fire.
I lean this way too. Jordan has a solid all around game.

Yep, just depends on how much you value arbitrary numbers versus actual numbers.

So you're saying, if the course Furyk played swapped a par 5 for the par 3 he got par on, he would have guaranteed eagled it? because that's the only way those numbers become arbitrary. you're essentially saying that the 58 Furyk shot he would have shot no matter where he played.

Honestly just trying to understand your train of thought here. "scoring low" is always in relation to par. If not, the question would be "who can hit the ball the least amount of times".

"who can hit the ball the least amount of times"

You summed it up right there. That is, literally, the object of the game. At the end of the tournament, the player who hit the ball the least times (with penalty strokes taken into consideration, of course) WINS!

I'll go with JT because he can go really low and there isn't a weak point in his game currently. I don't think Rory because his wedges and putting is always suspect. Brooks' 63 at Bethpage could've been probably 3 shots lower which was impressive but he's said publicly that he hates when he hast to shoot -20 in a tourney to win. In a regular season event, I'll go JT. If it's in a major, I'll go Brooks.

You summed it up right there. That is, literally, the object of the game. At the end of the tournament, the player who hit the ball the least times (with penalty strokes taken into consideration, of course) WINS!

No it's really not.
If that were the case, the winner would be someone that missed the cut each week as
The winner is the lowest total in relation to par.

Last edited:
It depends. If its a major, Koepka all day. If not, I probably go DJ or Adam Scott. I dont get the hype for Rory.

Back