JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Having a conversation yesterday during lunch about Tour players going low. Assuming everybody was firing on all cylinders, what your player goes lowest?

Rory in my opinion. When clicking on all cylinders, I don't think anybody beats him.

On all cylinders? I think Rory. When he is hitting his short clubs well and putting, he is hard to beat. But, Koepka would be a force too.

Firing on all cylinders (especially with wedges) and putting really well, Rory. He can absolutely take apart courses. Unfortunately, he's rarely putting what could be considered really well.

I think my runner up is actually Justin Thomas. Dude can post some low numbers, and actually can putt.

JT has the most rounds on tour 64 or lower since 2014/15 with 21. Couple that with him having shot 59 at the Sony, and he seems to be the player that has the ability to go the lowest.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rory. When he's close with the wedges and putting well, not many can touch him IMO.

JT has the most rounds on tour 64 or lower since 2014/15 with 21. Couple that with him having shot 59 at the Sony, and he seems to be the player that has the ability to go the lowest.

If I was putting money on someone at a tournament to post a low round, I think I'd go JT. I think Rory is far and away the best when he's playing his absolute best, it just unfortunately doesn't happen enough.

• Admin
If I was putting money on someone at a tournament to post a low round, I think I'd go JT. I think Rory is far and away the best when he's playing his absolute best, it just unfortunately doesn't happen enough.

I was thinking Rory for a long while. Although I am not sure I can think of a single thing in Rory's game that he does better than JT in that regard. Maybe driver, but its super close.

It should be Rory as well as he drives it. He wedges it so bad from time to time. It almost eliminates his advantage.

Current crop, JT. But I have to give an honorable mention nod to Furyk

I was thinking Rory for a long while. Although I am not sure I can think of a single thing in Rory's game that he does better than JT in that regard. Maybe driver, but its super close.

JT goes a bit under the radar in terms of his game. He's also proven a lot that he can shoot really low. Rory's long game is insane though, and while JT is no slouch there, I think Rory still edges him out there and that would take it for him. It wouldn't be far off though obviously, as about 58/59 seems to be the cap anyway. JT would be pretty damn close in that match IMO.

One thing to be said for Rory, is even with how bad his wedges and putting can be, look at his career. He's had that career and time and time again he's just simply a bad wedge player/putter.

My money would be on JT or DJ for any single tournament. Rory firing on all cylinders is less likely but maybe a lower score. For consistently going low nobody will ever match Tiger's stretch of Vardon Trophies.

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 10.11.47 AM.png

JT goes a bit under the radar in terms of his game. He's also proven a lot that he can shoot really low. Rory's long game is insane though, and while JT is no slouch there, I think Rory still edges him out there and that would take it for him. It wouldn't be far off though obviously, as about 58/59 seems to be the cap anyway. JT would be pretty damn close in that match IMO.

One thing to be said for Rory, is even with how bad his wedges and putting can be, look at his career. He's had that career and time and time again he's just simply a bad wedge player/putter.

So maybe firing on all cylinders doesn't help him as much as we think it does?
I would think he would have more sub 64 rounds genuinely than I saw in my quick search. Just seems based on memory so good from tee to green, but Im wondering if a lot of that on my end is rose colored glasses in some ways.

I think JT has the most wins since 2015 too. While I am not a big fan, I think sometimes we mistake firing on all cylinders to mean play better than they are capable.

I'll go JT. Rory's driving is ridiculous but I think there are other players who are better in some of the more important parts of the game like wedges and putting. JT seems pretty strong in all areas.

Rickie, combination of everything working, I think he could put together a special round.

I think course setup plays an important part as well.

His putting can be great.

My bet would be on JT at the moment.

So maybe firing on all cylinders doesn't help him as much as we think it does?
I would think he would have more sub 64 rounds genuinely than I saw in my quick search. Just seems based on memory so good from tee to green, but Im wondering if a lot of that on my end is rose colored glasses in some ways.

I think JT has the most wins since 2015 too. While I am not a big fan, I think sometimes we mistake firing on all cylinders to mean play better than they are capable.

To be fair I think we've seen Rory fire on all cylinders, and he's dominated fields before, so I don't think it's necessarily better than he's capable. I think he just doesn't put it all together as much as he should. TBH it's probably because he can get away with not having to do so, and still have a great career.

JT, especially in recent years, has shown he can put it all together and do it more frequently as well. So if we're saying "put money on someone right now on who can post the lowest score" I would probably go JT. But if it's as the question was posted of who could go the lowest, I believe it's Rory still.

It's an interesting question though, because golf does seem to have that limit of ability around 58/59, and I think there are numerous of the top players who could reach that on many courses if everything is clicking.

Spieth would be my answer. Firing on all cylinders would mean hes not offline off the tee and his above average putting and short game are on fire.

Im going to go with Rory. Only thing that worries me is his putting

Having a conversation yesterday during lunch about Tour players going low. Assuming everybody was firing on all cylinders, what your player goes lowest?

Jim Furyk.

/ conversation

Back