Babe Dickerson Zaharias. Seriously.

I know I'm in the minority here, but as I've said in the past, I'm not big believer in a "GOAT" in any sport. Mainly because "all time" could very well include the future. (past, present, and future)

I've always gone with "GOTE" or greatest of their era. Always thought that was a more fitting accolade for greatness.

Lionel Messi
Babe Ruth
Wayne Gretzky
Jack Nicklaus
Roger Federer
Tom Brady

(y)

Now that Djokovic has won TWENTY majors (matching Feds and Rafa), I honestly am in shock. The fact that these three guys, in the same era, have shattered my guy Sampras' record, I honestly don't know who the GOAT of tennis is anymore. What they have all done at the same time, is like having three Jack Nicklaus' at the same time. It's truly staggering.

Jesse Owens - in a span of 45 minutes he set three world records and tied a fourth in the Big Ten Championship. Then he went on to win 4 gold medals in the 1936 Olympics. To me, that is a sports performance that will never be matched.

Also you would have to consider Bo Jackson and others who starred in more than one major league sport.

I've always felt that tennis players are the greatest athletes of all - more than any other type of athlete.
Late response, but it's hard not to argue for hockey players. There are a lot of different skills happening at once in that sport, and it requires a lot of both fitness and toughness.

If it's the greatest in their respective sport, and looking across all sports, Tony Hawk (if you count skateboarding, that's an odd one for this debate probably), Michael Phelps, Babe Ruth (he had more home runs than many teams in a few seasons and could pitch on top of that) would all need to be up there IMO. Maybe Serena, Federer close. Jim Thorpe and Bo Jackson for all-around elite-ness. Ali high up on the list. Bolt?

Also agree with Jesse Owens maybe having the biggest/best/most important single event/year ever with the 1936 Olympics.

Back