Who is the most underrated putter designer

I immediately said Mills in my head, but I guess it's because on the grand scheme platform, he hasn't garnered the full hype he deserves - more like enthusiast obsession.

@Jman showed off a pretty cool Burns shape that was a nice take on the 7 prong. I'd like to see more of what he's about.
The Mills issue is David vs Truett, it’s almost like two different companies with some of the decisions made and trust placed. Makes me sad.

Burns is an unsung innovator.

they all have basically been doing the same models for the last 60 years, haven't they?
This isn't true at all is it? Sure everyone makes an Answer, but the fang style, the spider style, the 2 ball style, etc are all inventions of the last couple decades.

I'm not nominating an individual but a company. IMHO the most underrated putters are coming from Cleveland Golf... fantastic putters at very reasonable prices. I've been a huge fan of their putters ever since the introduction of their Smart Square putter line.

The Mills issue is David vs Truett, it’s almost like two different companies with some of the decisions made and trust placed. Makes me sad.

Burns is an unsung innovator.
It is really fun to go to his instagram and see his own take on traditional shapes. Any company or designer willing to do that gets a solid nod in my books.

It is really fun to go to his instagram and see his own take on traditional shapes. Any company or designer willing to do that gets a solid nod in my books.
Best part is he’s been doing it for a LONG time

This isn't true at all is it? Sure everyone makes an Answer, but the fang style, the spider style, the 2 ball style, etc are all inventions of the last couple decades.

I think for the most part they all really do the same stuff. Odyssey has brought some original ideas to the show (2-Ball and 7 for example). I guess you could say Cameron did some original stuff like the Futura stuff (of old, not today - that's just remaking Odyssey 7), but I don't often see a lot of originality. Just my view of course.

Austin Rollinson has to be one of the tops on this list. He has so many patens, that it is mind-boggling what he has contributed to the golfing world and almost nobody outside knows his name.

He was either the main designer or part of the team for so many putters:

IMG_1990.JPG

IMG_1986.JPG

Bill Presse 😅

Late to the party but my vote goes to Kevin Burns.

Innovation
Original shape
Longevity
Class A milling

Plus my custom smooth face KB 9306 Works great for me.

Envoyé de mon moto g stylus en utilisant Tapatalk

Clay Long makes beautiful putters.

I don't think Sean Toulon gets enough recognition! Created some monsters!

I did the Mills thing in the very early 00's, and I did one more about 5 yrs ago. But I would go another way now. I mean, they are beautiful putters but I want higher MOI now.

I almost went to KB - Kevin Burns. If I were going custom again, I'd look at KB first.

Or how about the LAB guy - for ugly yet innovative.;)

Last edited:
Back