Who is your choice for PoTY?

I wish I could say Rahm. I still feel like POY should have a major, but I have to say Cantlay with four wins.

Cantlay and I don't see how it is close. 4 wins when no one else has more then two-and two of those wins coming in the playoffs.
One of Cantlay's wins was when Rahm was forced to WD with a six stroke lead because he got Rona'd.

Rahm. Two of Cantlay's wins were handed to him by a COVID test and a head start. And Majors count more. You can not count his win at the Tour Championship because he did not get the lowest score....:confused2:

Cantlay and I don't see how it is close. 4 wins when no one else has more then two-and two of those wins coming in the playoffs.
I think that’s where I struggle. He has double the wins, but for the better part of the year didn’t even appear in the top 10. One of those wins came when Rahm was DQd despite having a huge lead and another came with their kind of joke idea of giving someone strokes. While certainly not taking away from thr brilliance that Cantlay displayed at the end of the season, is barely over a handful of top 10s, no majors and an asterisk win due to a WD more than winning a major and leading the tour in top 10s, by a huge margin?

I also think part of this discussion comes down to how weight is viewed on that WD.

Rahm. Two of Cantlay's wins were handed to him by a COVID test and a head start. And Majors count more. You can not count his win at the Tour Championship because he did not get the lowest score....:confused2:
By rule, Rahm did not finish the Memorial, Cantlay did. By the rules, Cantlay won in Atlanta. Cantlay is the winner.

Hands down Rahmbo is a way better choice for PotY.

If you look at Rahm's total body of work through the year it's not close. It's player of the year not player of the last month.

I would give it to Rahm since he was more consistent all year. Cantlay finish was great, but Rahm also has a major.

I think that’s where I struggle. He has double the wins, but for the better part of the year didn’t even appear in the top 10. One of those wins came when Rahm was DQd despite having a huge lead and another came with their kind of joke idea of giving someone strokes. While certainly not taking away from thr brilliance that Cantlay displayed at the end of the season, is barely over a handful of top 10s, no majors and an asterisk win due to a WD more than winning a major and leading the tour in top 10s, by a huge margin?

I also think part of this discussion comes down to how weight is viewed on that WD.
This is where I’m at, he clearly benefited from some favorable fortune this year and from stories of his past to get to this point I’ve got no quarrels with that but, statistically Rahm had a much better year with a Major and if he was near the top people were leaderboard watching. The Memorial is the big what if in this and if that hole thing didn’t happen Rahm takes this handily. From a POY perspective Rahm had a greater “year” Cantlay had a great finish but throughout the year wasn’t nearly as consistent.

This is how I see it too. I have a hard time thinking Rahm wasn’t going to easily win had he not had to withdraw. Yesterday he lost by one but had started at a bigger disadvantage.

My vote would be Rahm for total year performance but Cantlay will probably win and sure picked a good time to get hot $$.

Have to agree with JB's reasoning and go with Rahm

Rahm is the better player.

But for 2021 Cantlay had 4 wins versus 1 for Rahm, including two in the playoffs. Top 25's are almost identical at 18 vs. 17.

Now for POY are we talking about the PGA Tour or PGA of America? Different way to calculate it with PGA Tour determined by a vote of the players. Not sure how that plays into the vote and how the fellow players determine who they will vote for.

This is complex. Cantlay at first glance but Rahm looked more dominant to me this year.

Gotta go with Rahmbo…

Tough choice here as it could be either Rahm or Cantlay, but overall for the year I would Choose Rahm. Yes Cantlay had a great finish to the year but Rahm was solid all year.

I just read that Rahm got PoY, with Bryson a close second.

(Edit: the PGA of America version of the award, which is points-based).

Last edited:
Patty Ice all the way.

Rahm's stats were overwhelmingly great - I just looked at them a few hours ago.

I understand he is giving all credit to the Callaway CSX. :ROFLMAO: But seriously, that ball did something for him acc. to a Callaway Tweet.

I want to change my vote for Rahm, he had to withdraw form 2 tourments he was leading. He had a great year.

I think Rahm wins it because of the major, and the fact he kinda got screwed a bit there at Jack's place.

A live look at Patrick Cantlay, hearing the news of his second place voting results in the POTY race.

Jon Rahm!

Back