Who Makes The Leap This Year?

Lions81

Reaction score
Handicap
Could be someone that is a top player who turns into a real star (ie Morikawa & Cantlay from last year) or someone higher in the rankings that has a great year and moves way up. So who do you think makes the leap this year and why?

My opinion is its Zalatoris. Absolute dynamo from tee to green, and so long as his putter doesn't let him down too much, he contends. Reminds me a lot of Morikawa in that regard. Absolutely think he gets a win this year and continues his insane trajectory upwards.

Sam Burns seems like a guy ready to break through.
Could this be the year we finally see Tony Finau breakthrough also.

Finau? I'd love see Homa improve upon last year too

Sam Burns seems like a guy ready to break through.
Could this be the year we finally see Tony Finau breakthrough also.

Agree completely with Burns. He'd be right there on my list. The amount of times he lead after the first few rounds last year was crazy. If he turns a few more of those into wins, the sky is the limit.

Finau, who knows??

Would love to see Finau finally get a major. He's been way too close.

I"ll be watching Cam Smith, this could be the year he makes a big move.

Another one to pay attention to is Talor Gooch. Got his first win at Sea Island and quietly has risen to # 32 in the world. Absolutely nails iron player. Sometimes a little wonky off the tee. If he cleans that up a bit more, could be a huge year.

It’s the year of Hovy Metal.

Another one to pay attention to is Talor Gooch. Got his first win at Sea Island and quietly has risen to # 32 in the world. Absolutely nails iron player. Sometimes a little wonky off the tee. If he cleans that up a bit more, could be a huge year.
He is a really interesting player. For all of the talk about Colin and his iron play, Gooch might be even stronger there.

It’s the year of Hovy Metal.

Had no idea he was already in the top 5. He and Morikawa's rise has been absolutely insane for 2 very young guys.

Had no idea he was already in the top 5. He and Morikawa's rise has been absolutely insane for 2 very young guys.
Yup. It’s why I think he gets one major this year, and he’ll, maybe even two. Hovy is amazing.

Hovland is already a star in my mind but I think he makes another big jump this year with multiple wins including a major.

I think Finau wins a green jacket.

I know this thread is intended to name a PGA player but I don't follow it nearly enough to throw one out. I do, however, follow the LPGA very closely so will throw out Aditi Ashok from India. She was an absolute pleasure to watch at the Olympics and has serious game.

Not sure why, nor can I look at some big thing, but I expect Abraham Ancer to be in the thick of things in at least 3 of the 4 majors. He seems to be lurking in so many events.

I know this thread is intended to name a PGA player but I don't follow it nearly enough to throw one out. I do, however, follow the LPGA very closely so will throw out Aditi Ashok from India. She was an absolute pleasure to watch at the Olympics and has serious game.
It would be fun to see her break through. She was such a fun watch at the Olympics!

Not sure why, nor can I look at some big thing, but I expect Abraham Ancer to be in the thick of things in at least 3 of the 4 majors. He seems to be lurking in so many events.

He's an interesting one. With his lack of distance he definitely needs the courses to play firm and fast to have a chance.

I thought Tony Finau would be a major breakout player in 2021. Still have high hopes for that dude.

Riding Sam Burns til the end. Was my favorite golfer going into last year and that just blossomed even more. Hoping he wins a major this year!

I wish I could write that Rickie would leap back into the top of the game but I’ve almost lost complete hope at this point

Back