Who switches putter grip style randomly?

chadmac

Reaction score
Handicap
So I have been bouncing back and forth between left hand low and "the claw", both seem to work. Been using claw for a few months and then out of blue on putting green right before BIG Memorial 3 day tourney I switched to left hand low on first day , could not miss... 26 putts, 2 looong birdies and an eagle from off the green. Second day could not make anything, switched back to claw after about 6 holes....made everything. just in my head? or should I just "work thru it" with one or the other. Thoughts...........

If they both feel comfortable, go with what’s working that day. There are sooooo many ways to grip a putter, there isn’t really a right answer.

Shoot I went from putting lefty to putting righty. I play left handed still but now I have a right handed putter. Same grip as before but now it’s considered left hand low since I switched sides :LOL:

Switching grips is a lot easier than switching the side you stand on, so go with what works for ya!

I have, but then switched back. The Lamkin deep etched cord is the only grip for me I have decided.

I’ve definitely been experimenting this year after a couple ghastly putting performances. Since those crappy rounds, I’ve had a decent one, a great one, and now I’ve got a new putter to play with!

im left hand low exclusively now. definitely took about a whole season to get adjusted... when I first messed around with it I noticed how accurate I was. Also seemed to roll more smoothly than traditional grip. What suffered the most initially was distance control. I was short all the time

eventually figured it all out and won't ever change back. I do think the most important thing for anyone changing grip is to stick with it

I used to, and then finally found a style I’m comfortable with over this past winter... not changing anytime soon now!!

I have used LHL in the past, but I'm a conventional gripper now and I don't bounce around randomly.

Maybe a lesson is in order...

Closest I’ve gotten is adjusting how my supposed right index finger is shaped around the grip. If putting is struggling I’ll tend to have the finger run around the length of the grip instead of wrapped around. Not something I do often but sometimes a little change is good.

I've used the same grip for years. I experimented with left hand low, but ended up not liking it as much and switching back to my old grip. I don't play around with things much because I already have enough variables in my game without intentionally introducing others.

lately ive been trying out a few different hand positions that are very similar, just trying to tweek a few together i think.. but i have gone away from what i was doing in the past. the more i work on it now the more i see how i couldve been pulling putts more in the past, not that it was bad but from time to time id pull one and thats irritating especially from 5-10'. the more i think about it sitting here typing i have been concentrating on looking down at the putter head and maybe slightly opening the face and i mean slightly like a degree or two and really trying hard with my right hand to go straight through. but of course this all goes back to the grip and what im trying to accomplish.

Thought about doing it but never have, maybe I should give a different grip a try.

Almost never. I've tinkered with dropping my right finger down the grip to stabilize on shorter putts, but that's about it.

Left hand low, claw... It all feels insane to me.

If they both feel comfortable, go with what’s working that day. There are sooooo many ways to grip a putter, there isn’t really a right answer.

Shoot I went from putting lefty to putting righty. I play left handed still but now I have a right handed putter. Same grip as before but now it’s considered left hand low since I switched sides :LOL:

Switching grips is a lot easier than switching the side you stand on, so go with what works for ya!
I heard a podcast recently where the guy being interviewed made putters. He plays left handed but switched to putting right handed because he had the yips.

I say go with what works for you. If that means switching mid round, then so be it.:D

The claw for me is so natural now that on the putting green just goofing off, I tried the conventional grip and couldn't stand it. It felt so awkward. I'm officially screwed up now.

Sometimes. I sometimes go back to a conventional putter grip, even though I know that I should be sticking with the pencil. I feel like every time I go back to conventional, I get wristy; so I need to just stick with the pencil.

I’ll try something new at the start of the season, maybe at the end but usually I’ll stick with something for most of it.
So last year I tried left hand low but went back to traditional. At the end of last year I tried a little front facing putting. This year I tried claw at the beginning but went back to traditional...I kind of have been thinking about going back the seemore grip where I point both index fingers down the shaft, but I’d have to change to putters.

You couldn't pay me to. I don't know how anyone is expected to putt well without some consistency there. People don't change their grip that way on any other club so I'll never understand the urge to with a putter. Even a small change would cost me ~2 per round for weeks.

Have changed many times and have used as many as three different grips (left hand low and two different versions of conventional) during a round. Switched to prayer style for the first time a couple of months ago and have stuck with it.

I did switch back to right hand low last round after a few years with left hand low. I tried out different things on the practice green the day before and decided to try this. I couldn't see the line or if I had the club head straight with left hand low, and I felt much more comfortable the other way around. I grip the club pretty tight with my left hand, and the right hand almost doesn't grip, it just rests on the side of the club and keeps a little pressure through the putt. I had great distance control and pretty good direction, hopefully it will last...

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

I bounce between my traditional grip and claw a decent amount, not as much this year as I have in the past though.

I’ve changed in the past until I found my current grip. I’ve been putting well with it for several months now so I don’t plan to change it. I actually seem to be improving so no change coming.

it's funny, when I line up a putt I am tranditional, then switch to my grip. Sometimes I catch myself going to LHL, then realize, hey dummy your supposed to "claw", both are so comfortable to use I sometime reflex into the wrong grip! LOL. Went exclusive back to claw past 3 rounds, I feel I can hit "middle" of ball better for true roll with claw. Gonna stick with it, our greens just got verti cut and rolled, they are about 10.5-11 right now, seem to have more control on speed with claw. Thanks for input. I think it comes down to a trust thing, if you don't trust it you ain't gonna make it anyway.

So I have been bouncing back and forth between left hand low and "the claw", both seem to work. Been using claw for a few months and then out of blue on putting green right before BIG Memorial 3 day tourney I switched to left hand low on first day , could not miss... 26 putts, 2 looong birdies and an eagle from off the green. Second day could not make anything, switched back to claw after about 6 holes....made everything. just in my head? or should I just "work thru it" with one or the other. Thoughts...........

I completely identify with this. It's weird. In 2003, I went left-hand low for the first time (I'm a righty). Pretty much used it exclusively for 15 years or so. I've been through fittings that determine I strike the ball better than traditional right-hand low, so I've kept with it. While it squares my shoulders, I always felt a bit robotic with it -- almost like it stifles feel/creativity.

At last year's club championship (A Flight), I lead after day one with an 80 (Net 68). The next day I came out stone cold. Missed a birdie putt on 1. Barely made the comebacker. That was my best hole on the front. On 9, I switched to traditional right hand low. Made a beautiful hooking downhill putt to shoot TWELVE OVER on the front. Awful. But the putter got red hot.

I one-putted 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14. Threw up a triple bogey for no reason on 15, but then had one putt birdies on 16 & 17. Finished 3 clear of the field literally because I switched mid-round. I hit some stellar shots but I had 11 putts over the final 9 holes. All this without practicing with that grip at all.

Could I do it again? Possibly, but I haven't come close, that's for sure. But I don't care about putting technique as much now. I am right-hand low again and am just concentrating on feel.

it's funny, when I line up a putt I am tranditional, then switch to my grip. Sometimes I catch myself going to LHL, then realize, hey dummy your supposed to "claw", both are so comfortable to use I sometime reflex into the wrong grip! LOL. Went exclusive back to claw past 3 rounds, I feel I can hit "middle" of ball better for true roll with claw. Gonna stick with it, our greens just got verti cut and rolled, they are about 10.5-11 right now, seem to have more control on speed with claw. Thanks for input. I think it comes down to a trust thing, if you don't trust it you ain't gonna make it anyway.

I do the same! Sometimes I do that with my practice stroke.

I am currently kind of trying to figure out what I want to do. Messed around with left hand low a bit.

What I don't get is why interlock doesn't seem to be a recommended method. I feel like interlock gives me more control over the putter. Maybe it's because my hands are on the smaller side? The overlap just doesn't feel like I control the putter as well.

Back