Who will be this generation’s Bernhard Langer on the Champions Tour?

erock9174

Reaction score
Handicap
As the title suggests. Who do you think once they join the Champions Tour will end up having a very successful and arguably better 2nd half of their career like Langer has ?

I could see somebody like Luke Donald doing well with his short game and putting.

I think Phil would do great too but I thought he said he wouldn’t play on the Sr tour.

Like you alluded to it’ll be someone who’s got a real steady game and doesn’t necessarily rely on athleticism. Donald is a great pick, along with Louie O (not taking a crack at that last name), Adam Scott, and even Spieth.

could also go the way of the real fiery guys who love golf and love competition like Poulter

Henrik Stenson and Justin Rose come to my mind.

So, I think this is hard to predict, but there are a few indicators. Using Bernhard Langer and Hale Irwin as recent examples. What do they have in common?

Well physically, they kept the weight off. That roughly translates to less wear and tear on the body and at least the potential for more flexibility and ability to practice often.

Health throughout your 50s and 60s is harder to predict, but clearly a key factor. So is motivation to commit the time and energy. Though I think far more senior players have that, but are held back by some of the other factors.

I'm not sure what you mean by "this generation's" since I don't know the erock's age. But as far as next up, I'm going to say Jim Furyk. Yes, he'll be competing with Phil, but Phil has shown a lack of consistency ever since he got that special form of arthritis. He's spoken often about the problem the medication presents--difficulty to focus. I suspect Phil's Champions Tour career is going to be more like Freddy Couples than Bernhard Langer.

Here I thought you were asking who could cheat to win the most. I was gonna say Reed. Haha...

My opinion as much as I dislike it, Phil will not continue for long on the path he is on. Swinging as hard as he is , well it’s not conducive for longevity. Quite frankly his accuracy has been horrible as of late. So unless he changes his game it won’t be Phil. Stricker? Maybe Duke.

Made me think a little deeper. Wonder if somebody like Ryan Moore or Charlie Hoffman. Guys that are pretty consistent And tend to make the Tour Championship most every year. Could see them having a good champions tour career.

Tough to predict, but maybe someone who has stayed the healthiest during their career, and also one who stays in shape. Brooks or Dustin?

Tough to predict, but maybe someone who has stayed the healthiest during their career, and also one who stays in shape. Brooks or Dustin?

My guess is guys like brooks, DJ, JT, Rory, Spieth with skip the Sr tour with as much money as they will amass these days.

My guess is guys like brooks, DJ, JT, Rory, Spieth with skip the Sr tour with as much money as they will amass these days.

That's a good point. Maybe stay in it for the love of the game though. If I stacked 30 millionish over a career, I would probably retire for good and live my best life🌴

I like the idea of Luke Donald or Steve Stricker.

I think Phil could make a short splash but I don't think he can bring him self to not compete on tour. I'm also not sure how long his body would hold up.

It's going to be interesting as some of the current crop of players start playing in the senior tour. Distance is such a bigger part of the pga tour right now, I cant see the 150 mph ballspeed guys staying on the senior tour for long.

Someone with a long putter like Langer uses.

Made me think a little deeper. Wonder if somebody like Ryan Moore or Charlie Hoffman. Guys that are pretty consistent And tend to make the Tour Championship most every year. Could see them having a good champions tour career.

I like the choice of Charley Hoffman.

I could see Lee Westwood of the guys coming up real soon.

I like the choice of Charley Hoffman.

My brother and I always pull for him. He reminds us of the Preacher in the Poltergeist movie

F814CCA8-BA74-4DDC-A2EF-1269CD741E58.jpeg
D59F5ECC-7AEB-423E-A019-6843622E3765.jpeg

Kuch. Just seems like a guy who will play the game forever.

Kuch. Just seems like a guy who will play the game forever.

Wish he would get fitted already for clubs. Other than Keegan Bradley, Kutch gets the award for playing irons that are way too short.
Both those guys make my back hurt just watching them play the junior length clubs.

Striker was the first that came to mind, I wold love to think Phil would play quite a bit

I like the idea of Luke Donald or Steve Stricker.

I think Phil could make a short splash but I don't think he can bring him self to not compete on tour. I'm also not sure how long his body would hold up.

It's going to be interesting as some of the current crop of players start playing in the senior tour. Distance is such a bigger part of the pga tour right now, I cant see the 150 mph ballspeed guys staying on the senior tour for long.
It'll be equally interesting to see if a lot of those big hitters' bodies hold up long enough to make it to the senior tour - and how much of that distance they still have when they're 50+.

Jim Furyk

I will say Stensen . He’s the iceman for a reason

That's not as strong a draw as we may think. These guys are competitive. Phil Michelson is #2 and Jim Furyk is #3 on the all-time money list and both are looking forward to playing on the Champion's Tour.

Last edited:
Phil Michelson comes to mind. I think he might just the Champions Tour by storm when he joins.

Back