Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
First, a little background . . .

Despite Seattle's reputation as rainy all the time, it rarely rains hard here. It's usually just very dreary and drizzly in the winter. Thunderstorms are even rarer. And it snows in the city, i.e. the lowlands, on average, maybe a couple of times a year. Accumulation is usually minimal. Outlying areas get more snow, more often. But I am in the city and pretty close to the Bay. When it snows in Seattle, people freak out. I remember a local sketch comedy team that once did a fake news broadcast where the on-scene reporter was explaining the snow situation and said "It's really coming down. I urge everyone to stay indoors. I'm not sure what we are going to do because the snow is now up to the sole of my shoes."

Anyway, right now it is snowing . . . and thundering and lighting. I'm a fairly frequent snowboarder (I have a couple of years with over 100 days, and most of the past 10 years included at least 50 days a year), and I can't ever remember seeing that before. It's kind of freaky.

I had some stuff going to Oregon to Nike and UPS said adverse weather the last 2 days and could not deliver it.

I had some stuff going to Oregon to Nike and UPS said adverse weather the last 2 days and could not deliver it.

Probably a closed mountain pass and they had to re-route through another pass.

The first time it snowed when we lived in the PNW, my folks sent us out to shovel the driveway. Two hours later, there was no snow to be seen--except for the little piles on the side, that we had made shoveling.

Black ice is wicked, though.

I remember when I worked for the railroad, we were out clearing switches in a snowstorm one night and had lightning and thunder.

Yep Mike, I had to shovel the porch and driveway yesterday. I'm tired of winter already, today we are supposed to get freezing rain. Sweet!!!!!!

All the shoveling I am going to do this year is a path to the mailbox, across the driveway to Jacqui's truck (it's too tall to fit in the garage, so she has to park in the driveway - - - in 1968 they didn't know we would have such tall vehicles!), which the mailman can use before he has to step into the snow on the grass. Now that we both have 4WD, shoveling doesn't seem so important!

I hear ya Mike, we both have 4wd. My problem is the kids, if I don't shovel they will track snow in or fall. We have to come in through the front door so it gets pretty messy if I don't shovel.

We almost always come in through the garage. And just in case we come in the front, the mailbox path takes care of that (it's right in front of the door about 10 feet away). No kids but our dogs get the steps off the deck shoveled so it doesn't turn into ice steps.

The funny thing about the freezing rain is it's during the day; this evening it's supposed to get about 35 degrees with rain so it may melt the snow and the freexing rain we get today. (And no more significant snow at least through Christmas Eve, as of today).

Its going to be 80 and sunny here today. hehe

Still dumping. And it's the light fluffy stuff too. Couple of inches on the ground already.

I'd love to find a slapping smiley!

Oh, wait . . . I did!
smiley_slapacrossroom.gif

:angry: I hope you get a pop up rain shower. :tongue: They are calling for cold and freezing rain here. :angry:

When I woke up this morning, all of the hills around the valley im in had a dusting of snow on them. Dont worry though, the local news has been on storm watch for the last few days, so were all safe.

People in Seattle Can't Drive in Bad Weather

People in Seattle Can't Drive in Bad Weather

3.jpg

b.jpg

k.jpg

Closed course with professional driver. Do not try this at home.

Oh, sorry--it's not a "caption this" contest?

That's pretty much what it looked like out there today.

Cars abandoned everywhere, broken tire chains all over the road, people driving down the highway with chains on . . . and the roads are clear.

It is still snowing in Seattle.

Despite the fact that Seattle is so close to the Cascade Mountains, this is really unusual.

EDIT: At the beginning of the Jets/Seahawks game, they said that Seattle usually averages 3" per year, but Seattle got 5" of snow last night and more expected all day. Worst snowstorm in over 10 years. Lots of empty seats at the game.

It is still snowing in Seattle.

Despite the fact that Seattle is so close to the Cascade Mountains, this is really unusual.

EDIT: At the beginning of the Jets/Seahawks game, they said that Seattle usually averages 3" per year, but Seattle got 5" of snow last night and more expected all day. Worst snowstorm in over 10 years. Lots of empty seats at the game.

Saw just a little bit of the game and was VERY surprised it wasn't at the Meadowlands. Even Hubby remarked at the piles of snow on the sidelines.

Saw just a little bit of the game and was VERY surprised it wasn't at the Meadowlands. Even Hubby remarked at the piles of snow on the sidelines.

It's still snowing.

The airport is essentially shut down because they aren't equipped to deal with this kind of weather. Among other things, a couple of airlines ran out of de-icer.

It's still snowing.

The airport is essentially shut down because they aren't equipped to deal with this kind of weather. Among other things, a couple of airlines ran out of de-icer.

Hope they clear that up so you can get out of there!

I've got a few days. I guess it's good that I'm flying in last minute this year.

We've essentially got six inches of ice out there now, and it's supposed to warm up and rain away by Tuesday. Hope you're as lucky.

The weather reports from your direction still sound bad--you sure you're going to make it to those 18 side dishes? Got my fingers crossed for you.

Back