GolferGal

Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
There is a BBQ chain that started in the Nashville area that called Martin’s BBQ that does whole hog BBQ, and I recently had the pulled pork from there and now I feel all other pulled pork I have tried before it is inferior. There is something about whole hog pulled pork that is just special.

Have you tried whole hog BBQ before? What do/did you think?

Love it, as long as somebody else is dealing with the prep and cooking and I just get to eat the results! :LOL: Pig pickins is good BBQ!

• Admin
Love it, as long as somebody else is dealing with the prep and cooking and I just get to eat the results! :LOL: Pig pickins is good BBQ!

Agreed! I don’t want to see it, I just want to eat it. I know a lot of the food I eat has a head, but I’m not interesting in looking at it.

There is a BBQ chain that started in the Nashville area that called Martin’s BBQ that does whole hog BBQ, and I recently had the pulled pork from there and now I feel all other pulled pork I have tried before it is inferior. There is something about whole hog pulled pork that is just special.

Whole hog is amazing and is the best from of BBQ pork IMO. Have you tried Peg Leg Porkers? They do some of the best whole hog I have had.

• Admin
Whole hog is amazing and is the best from of BBQ pork IMO. Have you tried Peg Leg Porkers? They do some of the best whole hog I have had.

I didn’t think they did whole hog. I actually ate there for the first time this last weekend. Their ribs were amazing!

For pulled pork my vote is Martin’s, but for ribs my vote goes to peg leg porker.

We even did a THP Event there...
But Peg Leg Porker is not always whole hog.

I didn’t think they did whole hog. I actually ate there for the first time this last weekend. Their ribs were amazing!

For pulled pork my vote is Martin’s, but for ribs my vote goes to peg leg porker.
Haven't had Martins but now want to try. Peg Leg may only do whole hog for catering - not sure. I was at an event they catered and whole hog was on the menu. I haven't been to the actual restaurant.

Whole Hog is the best... As has been said here, if I don't have to prep it, I am in!

Yes and YES!

Almost as good as a brisket.

I need to try this.

Haven't had Martins but now want to try. Peg Leg may only do whole hog for catering - not sure. I was at an event they catered and whole hog was on the menu. I haven't been to the actual restaurant.

I wonder if maybe it’s a catering or special occasion thing? Either way, their food is delicious. My parents are coming to visit in a couple of months and I’m planning a BBQ tour for them because they love BBQ and both Martin’s and Peg Leg Porker are on the list.

We just got a Central BBQ here too. They are from Memphis and many say the best in Memphis. I was sick when we tried it years ago in Memphis so I want to give them another try. It’s not whole hog though, which is truly a different experience in my opinion.

Been to a few pig roasts in my day for gatherings, and they are summer perfection. Loads of food, drinks, and friends. What's not to love?

I wonder if maybe it’s a catering or special occasion thing? Either way, their food is delicious. My parents are coming to visit in a couple of months and I’m planning a BBQ tour for them because they love BBQ and both Martin’s and Peg Leg Porker are on the list.

We just got a Central BBQ here too. They are from Memphis and many say the best in Memphis. I was sick when we tried it years ago in Memphis so I want to give them another try. It’s not whole hog though, which is truly a different experience in my opinion.
We were in Memphis a few years ago and tried several BBQ places. I thought Central BBQ was the best of them by a pretty fair margin. By far the most disappointing was Rendezvous. They're supposedly "world famous" for their ribs, but I sure couldn't see why. Probably the most highly overrated and underwhelming BBQ I've ever had.

We were in Memphis a few years ago and tried several BBQ places. I thought Central BBQ was the best of them by a pretty fair margin. By far the most disappointing was Rendezvous. They're supposedly "world famous" for their ribs, but I sure couldn't see why.

We tried a few places when we were in Memphis and my favorite was a placed called The Commissary. We ate there before a business meeting and I 100% walked into the meeting with BBQ sauce all over my shirt haha.

nope i have not tried whole hog, sounds delicious

My buddy had a whole hog catered for his 60th b'day/retirement party a few years ago. Unbelievably good. And you have to have the head, that's where the jowl bacon comes from.. I helped the guy that brought it out get everything set up, so that was the 1st thing we tried...

We will have access to some bricks later this summer and have been talking about building am in-ground bbq pit for doing whole hogs... it is pretty expensive, both for the hog and the cooking, delivery, serving. And you better have a bunch of friends.

Agreed! I don’t want to see it, I just want to eat it. I know a lot of the food I eat has a head, but I’m not interesting in looking at it.
Its probably the brain juice rendering out and moistening the shoulder roast as it cooks. Enjoy!!

BBQ comes from North Carolina or South Carolina!
The irony is BBQ comes from the Caribbean. And in the US didnt originate there either based on most interpretations of the history.

3312471A-0B33-4CD1-8B49-171144090D6C.jpeg

When I was in college a buddy did about a 100 pound pig in the smoker for a tailgate before the football game. He made a vinegar mustard sauce to go with it and it was amazing. Would love to have it again.

The irony is BBQ comes from the Caribbean. And in the US didnt originate there either based on most interpretations of the history.
Wait is that in the Carolinas?...because he might have a point. 😆 Memphis, Kansas City, St Louis, and Texas all do it pretty well too. I've been to local BBQ's where they cook whole big underground overnight... so good.

Back