Whoop Fitness Band

slimjim32

Reaction score
Handicap
Has anyone seen or used one of these? I have read articles that Justin Thomas, Xander, Rory have been seen wearing them, as well as read/seen many other athletes wearing them.

I’m pondering hard on getting one as I’m doing my best to make fitness a routine of mine this year..

I look very interesting! If you are looking for something a little more wallet friendly. I love the Garmin products.

I got the Vivosmart 3 for around $50 brand new.

I have seen them but I purchased an Oura ring which I think is a similar product but is a ring instead of a band. The ring is more expensive but much smaller obviously. I got it mainly for sleep tracking (have never slept well) and it has been very helpful in tracking what habits do and do not promote good sleep for me.

I recommend it or something like it if you are training regularly or want to sleep better.

I look very interesting! If you are looking for something a little more wallet friendly. I love the Garmin products.

I got the Vivosmart 3 for around $50 brand new.

I have a Garmin Fenix 3 that I use for triathlon training and I love it. My biggest intrigue for the Whoop is the recovery and strain factors. Yes, my Fenix tells me a recovery time in hours, but I feel this device would give me a more accurate idea of how rested I am before starting another activity.

I’m also interested in the strain reading. To see a number associated with how much effort I put in to an activity and then be able to start getting an idea of how that correlates to future workouts.

I have seen them but I purchased an Oura ring which I think is a similar product but is a ring instead of a band. The ring is more expensive but much smaller obviously. I got it mainly for sleep tracking (have never slept well) and it has been very helpful in tracking what habits do and do not promote good sleep for me.

I recommend it or something like it if you are training regularly or want to sleep better.

I can’t say I have heard of this one. Sounds like this ring is more geared towards tracking sleep only though, which I don’t usually have any issues with sleeping, and might be looking for something a little more. I’ll look in to it though, thanks for the suggestion

I can’t say I have heard of this one. Sounds like this ring is more geared towards tracking sleep only though, which I don’t usually have any issues with sleeping, and might be looking for something a little more. I’ll look in to it though, thanks for the suggestion

It is geared towards sleep but gives you quite a bit of data based on your activity, and then based on your heart rate, body temp and some other factors will rate how you have recovered and what an optimum activity level would be for the day. In the little perusing of the whoop website I think it is definitely focused more on training so from the sounds of it would probably be a better option.

It is geared towards sleep but gives you quite a bit of data based on your activity, and then based on your heart rate, body temp and some other factors will rate how you have recovered and what an optimum activity level would be for the day. In the little perusing of the whoop website I think it is definitely focused more on training so from the sounds of it would probably be a better option.

I'm looking at the Oura site right now, and it looks like it has some good info. Like you say, I think Whoop is a little more geared towards training and recovery which is something I am looking for. The biggest drawback I can see from the ring would be wearing while golfing. It looks like it protrudes quite a bit more than my wedding band. Do you wear the ring while golfing, and if so do you notice it at all while gripping the club?

Even at a year long membership, it's 288 a year for the product for the first year, and then 360 after that. That seems awfully expensive after year 1 for what it does. I have no doubt it's effective, but like.. 3 years with one, and that's almost cost you a grand. :oops:

For a grand, I better look like Hercules and sleep like a log.

I'm looking at the Oura site right now, and it looks like it has some good info. Like you say, I think Whoop is a little more geared towards training and recovery which is something I am looking for. The biggest drawback I can see from the ring would be wearing while golfing. It looks like it protrudes quite a bit more than my wedding band. Do you wear the ring while golfing, and if so do you notice it at all while gripping the club?

fit right it is fine on the ring finger for me, but that is going to depend on your grip. For me, I can't wear a watch when sleeping, so the ring was the only option for me on that front, especially since the sleep is my focus.

I have heard about them but I have a Fitbit Versa that tracks my sleep so I haven’t looked at something else yet.

I have one. They are good for what they do but unless you are really committed to watching your recovery, training the proper amount and getting good sleep, as someone said above, it definitely could seem like it isn't worth it. They also make you commit to it for at least six months. That being said though, I have really noticed a difference in how much longer I am able to train and how much better I feel when I follow the whoop recommendations. I do have a code to get you $30 off your purchase if you want to get one though ;)

fit right it is fine on the ring finger for me, but that is going to depend on your grip. For me, I can't wear a watch when sleeping, so the ring was the only option for me on that front, especially since the sleep is my focus.

I just read an article comparing Oura to Whoop. The Oura “reads” heart rate 250 times a second compared to the 100 times a second for Whoop. The guy who wrote it, said that the two are pretty much completely similar outside of that. That 250 times was impressive to me to start to give the edge to Oura.

He then commented on the fact that you aren’t supposed to wear the ring during work outs, as recommended by the company. I went to their FAQ and sure enough, they don’t recommend wearing Oura while at the gym. Just like that, they were out of the running.

Thanks for the recommendation though, aside from the “don’t wear at the gym” it seems like a really good product

I just read an article comparing Oura to Whoop. The Oura “reads” heart rate 250 times a second compared to the 100 times a second for Whoop. The guy who wrote it, said that the two are pretty much completely similar outside of that. That 250 times was impressive to me to start to give the edge to Oura.

He then commented on the fact that you aren’t supposed to wear the ring during work outs, as recommended by the company. I went to their FAQ and sure enough, they don’t recommend wearing Oura while at the gym. Just like that, they were out of the running.

Thanks for the recommendation though, aside from the “don’t wear at the gym” it seems like a really good product

You research WAY MORE thoroughly than I do. I wear my ring at the gym, but also have an apple watch to track workouts that is than imported to the Oura app... so I guess I don't need to anymore!

Thanks for posting, this was the big deal breaker for me and the ultimate decider to go with Whoop - a big reason I was leaning away from the Oura to start was the ring - I only wear one, non-negotiable to switch it with my wedding ring.

I am used to the wearables (fitbit, watches, etc) I also like the device is good in any conditions, comes with additional bands, including a bicep band, so I can alternate locations and keep it on constantly.

I'll have more on it when I'm not at work.

2 and half weeks in I'm really digging it.

Been wearing my Whoop for ab 2 years now. A lot of buzz about these on the PGA Tour after today.

So true! If I’m being honest I go through period where I love it but then go through periods where I hardly look at my stats. If you are working out everyday and training for something it is great and high end but if not it’s might not be for you as there is no display and you have to use the app to view anything.

The sleep info is amazing and the effect of good sleep is very underrated imo.

My wife’s hospital is providing all of the residents with whoop bands to determine which rotations are the most stressful. And then she got a free month code and sent it to me. And now I have a whoop band on the way.

So I’ve been using the band for about a week now (fast shipping!). I think it’s going to be very beneficial for overall fitness. Their algorithm generates a recovery and a strain metric based on sleep, heart rate, activity, etc. Still being a lazy bum so I haven’t made full use of it, but I think I’m really gonna like it! Will also be interesting to see my wife’s numbers as she goes through her various hospital rotations.

I’ve had some late nights this week with work and Whoop is telling me that I’m falling behind in sleep. That’s a huge plus for me, I struggle with sleep debt during these busy months and I can definitely see this helping.

I think there are lots of options available and at the cost it’s not something I’d spring for. I wear a Fitbit Versa and get the info I need for free after the cost of the band. What did I learn from my Versa? Alcohol is not good for quality sleep. :ROFLMAO:

Love mine almost a year

my recovery was **** last weekend ;)

need to see what my hr was during the first tee
Shots
I am likely looking at a low recovery night tonight 😆 Whoop warned me that I was overdoing it when I started demoing my deck. I’m liking it so far

Back