Whoop Fitness Band

My golf strain is surprisingly high, but can confirm my heart rate is pretty high throughout the round. I must be in bad shape or a nervous golfer. 😅 I’m finally starting to get into a fitness routine and really looking at my recovery/strain balance.
Interesting. This is why I need to find out more about it. Wife just strapped it on me one day, said 'wear this', and that was that. My numbers are wildly different from what hers were though, so she's not much help making sense of them. I just looked at the last day I played. 27 holes over 2 outings, gym, and mostly running around for work, and my day strain was 4.2. :confused2:. It definitely seems to undervalue what I view as strain at the gym. Seems more based on cardio effect than strain that actually requires dedicated recovery.

Interesting. This is why I need to find out more about it. Wife just strapped it on me one day, said 'wear this', and that was that. My numbers are wildly different from what hers were though, so she's not much help making sense of them. I just looked at the last day I played. 27 holes over 2 outings, gym, and mostly running around for work, and my day strain was 4.2. :confused2:. It definitely seems to undervalue what I view as strain at the gym. Seems more based on cardio effect than strain that actually requires dedicated recovery.
That seems crazy low and I’ve determined, with 73% certainty, you have no heart beat when you are at rest if those are you stats after activities.

That seems crazy low and I’ve determined, with 73% certainty, you have no heart beat when you are at rest if those are you stats after activities.
Seconded! I’m like an automatic 12+ strain when I take a cart for 18.

I just practiced my new feels and played a sim round. I’m almost 12 for the day.
Yup yesterday I sat and watched golf and played a round of sim golf about 20 feet from where I watched golf. Only 5,000 steps but good for 12.6 strain. Although looking at the activity, I had a pretty elevated heart rate throughout. I need to relax!
1613418579937.png

Seconded! I’m like an automatic 12+ strain when I take a cart for 18.
I just practiced my new feels and played a sim round. I’m almost 12 for the day.

See I don't get it. I've had some heavy work days moving material by hand, roofing, 14 hr day moving our furniture out of a 2nd story apartment (and lifted at them gym that day), and I just went back through and my highest strain, which might have been that moving day, was 11.8. I rarely get over 11.2 regardless of what I do.

See I don't get it. I've had some heavy work days moving material by hand, roofing, 14 hr day moving our furniture out of a 2nd story apartment (and lifted at them gym that day), and I just went back through and my highest strain, which might have been that moving day, was 11.8. I rarely get over 11.2 regardless of what I do.
So it does appear to be a heart rate cardio algorithm. I need to listen to the podcast.

So it does appear to be a heart rate cardio algorithm. I need to listen to the podcast.
Makes sense from what I've seen so far, and explains why my numbers are low. A heart rate and duration of that elevated rate equation would likely never represent my actual strain well. Thanks for the link. Saved me some time researching, and should help me figure out how best to utilize the band. (y)

Makes sense from what I've seen so far, and explains why my numbers are low. A heart rate and duration of that elevated rate equation would likely never represent my actual strain well. Thanks for the link. Saved me some time researching, and should help me figure out how best to utilize the band. (y)
I’ve had the band for months and never bothered to research strain :LOL: but that definitely helps me understand what my activity numbers mean.

Strain is not steps.... That took me awhile to figure out...

Also, I have found if I eat something within 2 hours of going to sleep, my recovery is 10% worse then if I didn't.

My golf strain is surprisingly high, but can confirm my heart rate is pretty high throughout the round. I must be in bad shape or a nervous golfer. 😅 I’m finally starting to get into a fitness routine and really looking at my recovery/strain balance.

I hit balls for about two hours yesterday on the simulator. I got 1:22 of time on the whoop I started it late and it was 12.2 on the strain rating. Granted I spent a chunk of that time trying to swing driver as fast as I could so that is probably why it said I spent 51 minutes at 70-80% of my max heart rate. It will be interesting to see what it reads when I walk and carry my bag.

Something seems off there. I was a 10.2 at the range today for an hour. That seems way way off on a 4.2 for that much stuff!

Something seems off there. I was a 10.2 at the range today for an hour. That seems way way off on a 4.2 for that much stuff!
The heart rate/cardio thing makes it make more sense. It takes a lot to get my heart pumping, and I recovery quickly. So the sustained aspect seems to play a big role. The shoveling I posted earlier was pretty all out. Moving faster than any sane person probably would for that volume and weight. I just shoveled the back and tried to hold my breath most of the time as an experiment on getting it going. Wife gave me grief about breathing heavy when I came in, so we'll see what whoop says about it soon hopefully.

The heart rate/cardio thing makes it make more sense. It takes a lot to get my heart pumping, and I recovery quickly. So the sustained aspect seems to play a big role. The shoveling I posted earlier was pretty all out. Moving faster than any sane person probably would for that volume and weight. I just shoveled the back and tried to hold my breath most of the time as an experiment on getting it going. Wife gave me grief about breathing heavy when I came in, so we'll see what whoop says about it soon hopefully.

You should be able to process it all now friend, open the app and if you see the little heart icon on your main screen? Press it. It should start the processing.

You should be able to process it all now friend, open the app and if you see the little heart icon on your main screen? Press it. It should start the processing.
Sweet. Good tip. Just did it, and it's 'pending'. That better have done something too, because I'm still sucking wind a bit. I better never have lung issues or I'm gonna have to slow waaay down

Screenshot_20210215-152822_WHOOP.jpg

Day strain is now at 11.6. So yeah, you have to get your heart rate up and keep it there. That's just not an effective gauge of strain for me. People that do long labor hours, besides typically having excellent cardio fitness, learn to manage that in short bursts to limit fatigue. I'll have to keep reading to see if there's a way to re-calibrate or something.

I hit balls for about two hours yesterday on the simulator. I got 1:22 of time on the whoop I started it late and it was 12.2 on the strain rating. Granted I spent a chunk of that time trying to swing driver as fast as I could so that is probably why it said I spent 51 minutes at 70-80% of my max heart rate. It will be interesting to see what it reads when I walk and carry my bag.
I also can’t figure out how swinging the club at the range is as tough as a 6K row on the concept 2. 45 minutes of hitting balls 10.7 and Rowing 6k was 10.8
524FB849-9681-4432-AFE6-7BD5553AE0E3.png

I also can’t figure out how swinging the club at the range is as tough as a 6K row on the concept 2. 45 minutes of hitting balls 10.7 and Rowing 6k was 10.8
View attachment 8993614

You can burn some serious calories swinging a golf club, it is a full body motion after all. Also gotta remember, you were swinging for twice the time you were rowing.

You can burn some serious calories swinging a golf club, it is a full body motion after all. Also gotta remember, you were swinging for twice the time you were rowing.
Just learned this today! Need to do some more research now that I’m actually working out more than once per month.

A825B2A2-C25B-404E-853E-6B69880D78B0.png
Earlier. It was also a bit hot out, which may have helped.

View attachment 8993614

There is no way it is as hard as rowing 6K except that I did it for a longer period of time. 6K is less than 30 minutes and I hit balls for 2 hours.

I dig the new WPA.

Also found a good article on age and HRV from Whoop.

Based on some article I read I have the HRV of a 70 year old woman. Unfortunately I am 54 and male.

Lol I think we found the same article - if it’s any consolation @MWard has the same HRV range as you and he’s 20 years younger.

It’s extremely personal to each personwith a lot of different factors impacting it.

I’ve had plenty of low sleep nights (3-5 hours) but recovery has been good - my experience is that my efficiency and latency is pretty strong and that correlates to the improved recovery (which is good as I don’t want to have to spend double digit hours in bed to recover).

When I’m still pretty drowsy I generally have pretty good recovery too

Based on some article I read I have the HRV of a 70 year old woman. Unfortunately I am 54 and male.

Dude %^*@ the HRV. I don't understand it, and I know I'm healthy enough where that doesn't make sense. I'm just going to assume the lower it is, the actually more healthy you are. Excuse me and my sometimes 9 HRV

Back