I would personally find it in bad taste if I get over to my chip and see the guy linning up his 10 foot putt. So now I have to sit and wait for him. Then after he misses, do I still wait for him to putt his 2 footer? Because you know he will want to mark and clean it and then eye it up. So I'm standing there 3 4 5 mins.

I would personally find it in bad taste if I get over to my chip and see the guy linning up his 10 foot putt. So now I have to sit and wait for him. Then after he misses, do I still wait for him to putt his 2 footer? Because you know he will want to mark and clean it and then eye it up. So I'm standing there 3 4 5 mins.
Anybody who takes 3-5 minutes to hit two putts should be loudly mocked and mercilessly humiliated.

This one seems to be settled:

Furthest away is officially out and entitled to hit first.

Whoever is ready can go ahead and hit first in most instances.

Just curious for my "ready golfers": if you're on time with the round, then why are you rushing...sorry, playing "ready golf" around the greens? You're on time, so take your time and enjoy the round.

I could care less who tee's off first but if the guy gets to his ball 3 seconds before me and is, whatever, 30 yards or 30 feet ahead of me and now I have to wait because he is rushing, sorry playing "ready golf" I'm not going to be super happy.

Andy,

What does on time mean? Who is rushing?

I am ready to play when it is my turn, that is not rushing. I do not spend time waiting for someone to decide it is my turn because my ball is 30' 1" from the pin while his is 30'. Common sense prevails , you do not rush and you do not dillydally around while people behind are waiting to play their shots.

Slow play is like bad driving, everyone knows it happens, none admits to it. If you are going to ruin a good walk, do it at a sensible pace.

Andy,

What does on time mean? Who is rushing?

I am ready to play when it is my turn, that is not rushing. I do not spend time waiting for someone to decide it is my turn because my ball is 30' 1" from the pin while his is 30'. Common sense prevails , you do not rush and you do not dillydally around while people behind are waiting to play their shots.

Slow play is like bad driving, everyone knows it happens, none admits to it. If you are going to ruin a good walk, do it at a sensible pace.
On time, on pace, right in stride with the group in front of you...whatever you want to call it.

Obviously I am in the minority here with playing "ready golf". It's one thing to play your shot to help keep on pace because someone is looking for their ball and another thing to hit as soon as you get to your ball. Personally, I like to take my time enjoy the round (I almost always play with my dad and brothers) but still keep pace. And trust me getting my dad to keep pace is not always easy.

We play Sunday on public courses....so we are always sitting and waiting. 5+ is our norm.

Ready golf man …. ready golf!

On time, on pace, right in stride with the group in front of you...whatever you want to call it.

Obviously I am in the minority here with playing "ready golf". It's one thing to play your shot to help keep on pace because someone is looking for their ball and another thing to hit as soon as you get to your ball. Personally, I like to take my time enjoy the round (I almost always play with my dad and brothers) but still keep pace. And trust me getting my dad to keep pace is not always easy.

We play Sunday on public courses....so we are always sitting and waiting. 5+ is our norm.
This shows perfectly that there is no hard and fast rule for everything. If you see the group in front of you then yes that is the most you can do. You don't care about the 5+ hour round, again nothing you can do about it anyway, then you are getting what you pay for. If someone outside your group doesn't like the pace then they can find another place to play the next round.

I have played previously with some older gentlemen where I was pretty much the spotter for balls and had to insure nobody got hurt. Sometimes after running around helping them I needed a second or two to catch my breathe so ready golf was the prescription. Sometimes when in match play, I have earned the right to see the person who is away play their shot so I can see their line. There is no standard for it and again if all we are going to do is wait at the next tee then do what makes you comfortable. If you are behind then you have to put some pep in the step.

Last edited:

I don't like being rushed, but I do enjoy the game more when I'm playing with an efficient group that keeps things moving. The guys I usually play with, if the course is open in front of us we'll usually finish as a foursome in right around 3:00 - and that doesn't feel rushed at all, it includes time for some BS'ing, a couple cigars and the occasional search for a lost ball. We play ready golf from tee to green, the only exception being birdie has the tee box - and if he's dragging his feet, somebody will step in front of him too.

I don't like being rushed, but I do enjoy the game more when I'm playing with an efficient group that keeps things moving. The guys I usually play with, if the course is open in front of us we'll usually finish as a foursome in right around 3:00 - and that doesn't feel rushed at all, it includes time for some BS'ing, a couple cigars and the occasional search for a lost ball. We play ready golf from tee to green, the only exception being birdie has the tee box - and if he's dragging his feet, somebody will step in front of him too.
Playing in 3 hours just doesn't happen around here. I get what you're saying.

So I ran into this over the weekend with my group. I found myself regularly putting first from closer just to play ready golf. We were on pace though and behind the group in front of us so I didn’t mind.

This is one of my pet peeves. We always try to play ready golf, but by rules, as others have stated, furthest away goes first. It amazes me how many times people say "I'm on the green, you go first because you are off" when they are much further away.

Just curious for my "ready golfers": if you're on time with the round, then why are you rushing...sorry, playing "ready golf" around the greens? You're on time, so take your time and enjoy the round.

I could care less who tee's off first but if the guy gets to his ball 3 seconds before me and is, whatever, 30 yards or 30 feet ahead of me and now I have to wait because he is rushing, sorry playing "ready golf" I'm not going to be super happy.

You are describing this like it’s some race to the ball and whoever gets there first is ready and has honors to hit. Try thinking about it in a realistic “on the course” manner. If two players arrive at their ball in a similar time frame is the person 30 yards ahead really going to demand to go first? Not likely. As mentioned, common sense and basic etiquette prevail. By your definition you’re saying that someone should wait if another is away, what if the away person is raking a fairway bunker or repairing a divot? Again, common sense and basic etiquette...

Back