golfer777

Reaction score
Handicap
If one player is off the green , 10 feet away from the hole, and the other player is on the green , but 40 feet away, who should putt first?

If one player is off the green , 10 feet away from the hole, and the other player is on the green , but 40 feet away, who should putt first?
Off the green how? On the fringe and they’re holding putter? 40 footer should go first. Short sided and they need to hit a flop then change clubs? Hit the flop then change clubs.

Or you could just play “Ready, Golf!” and not worry at all about such mundane things ;)

Furthest from the hole. Technically doesn’t matter if you are on the green or not.

Furthest from the hole. Technically doesn’t matter if you are on the green or not.

That is the answer. Although I don’t personally disagree with having whoever is ready play first.

Away is furthest regardless of position. Most play though to bring everyone to green before putting. But in certified play....furthest.

In general, the person farthest way should play next. The shorter shot might be played first if the player wishes to keep the pin in while the player on the green does not.

The point of this general rule is to prevent 70+ conversations per round about who's going to play next.

Farthest away is out.

Whoever is ready first should play first

If there is a trophy or big money (not your nickel and dime bets) on the line then 40 footer.

If a regular casual round whoever is ready.

If match play the 40 footer has to go first, them the rules.

Match play , furthest away plays first. Stroke play, it used to be off the green first to save moving the flag and putting it back, but now you can putt with the flag in, not so dependent, so if unsure, revert to whoever is ready first...

For gosh sakes, ready golf all day long.

The player 40 feet away should be ready to play because it's their turn; on green or not doesn't matter.

Whoever is ready first.
^ This is the correct answer. We'll even putt if somebody is still off the green and has a chip or bunker shot left to hit, if we're ready and they're not at their ball yet. Ready golf, keep things moving.

Furthest away...especially if you are playing for something....not whoever is ready

Farthest away is out.

Whoever is ready first should play first
This, unless something is on the line, then perhaps the 40 footer should go first.

Not something I can really remember thinking about. We just get off the green asap, and move on.

I'm not even sure there's a rule about who should putt first. I suppose there is. Golf usually has rule for just about everything.

I know watching the pga, shorter putts are made, to get out of the way of longer putts.

Last edited:
I know watching the pga, shorter putts are made, to get out of the way of longer putts.
I think this is done as a courtesy if the longer player wants it or is a big putt.

Golf Rule 10, Order of Play – Simplified Version

10-1. In match play, golfers play in this order:

On the tee – On the first hole, the player listed first on the scorecard (as determined by the committee) tees off first; otherwise, the order is decided by lot or other fair means (e.g., a coin flip). Afterward, the player or team that wins a hole has honors (plays first) on the next tee. If a hole is halved, the honor stays with the side which held it on the previous hole.

While playing the hole – The player whose ball is farthest from the hole (away) goes first; if the sides are the same distance from the hole, or it can’t be determined who is away, the order is determined by coin flip or similar method. There is no penalty for playing out of turn, but the opponent whose turn was skipped can require the player to cancel the stroke, then play again after the opponent has hit.

Players may agree to play out of turn in the interest of saving time.

In Casual play whoever is ready first. In a Match Furthest away.

Last edited:
This all goes to the flagstick in or out. If I'm off the green I want it in. And If I have a long putt > 10 feet, I want the stick in. Given this Covid thing has the stick in and a rule of not pulling the stick, we're getting used to it. The flag in has never cost me a putt. It has saved me once or twice. So who's away? If you're off the green and 10' away, the people putting from 30' go first. But under the old rule, they might have to put the stick back in for you and would BM&C about it, but if you're chipping you want the stick in just in case you chip it a little hot.

The answer has already been given - the person farthest away, no matter on the green or not, is "away."
That being said, I agree that whoever is ready, if it doesn't disrupt play, should hit.

In match play it makes a difference who plays first so whoever is farthest away should play first. Besides that ready golf should prevail.

Back