Why Are Iron Covers Polarizing

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Most hate them. Some insist on using them. Why?

I'm scarred from working in a bag room and having to remove the hard plastic iron covers in order to clean the clubs. Absurdly annoying and inconvenient for someone making $5 an hour.

Dealers choice. I imagine those who use them want to try and keep them as clean, dry and ding free as possible. Those who don't probably don't care as much. I really don't care as much to keep them as pristine as others so I don't use them. I don't care if others do... not sure why it would honestly.

I don't use them day to day, but I will use some when I travel in May.

I don't really have a good reason. I just think they look really goofy.

I know I'm in the minority, but I pay good money for my clubs and I want them to stay as nice as possible for as long as possible.

Just like keeping them clean. I clean them after every shot. I like to see nice clubs on the ground when in use.

+1 for Iron Covers!!!

If they weren't such a hassle I'd use them. I like keep them...

I use them because I don't care for the bag chatter, I want to keep my irons as good looking as long as possible. Some irons do have some pretty different sounds when clanging together.
To each there own.

• Admin
I don't really have a good reason. I just think they look really goofy.

I dont use them, and genuinely dont really like them, but I think that way about stupid Pom Pom covers.

I dont use them, and genuinely dont really like them, but I think that way about stupid Pom Pom covers.

haha I kinda like those pompom covers. very classic look.

I'm scarred from working in a bag room and having to remove the hard plastic iron covers in order to clean the clubs. Absurdly annoying and inconvenient for someone making $5 an hour.

haha I kinda like those pompom covers. very classic look.
I don't love them, but don't hate them either. I may or may not own some too. :oops:

Have always used them, will always use them and offer no apologies for using them. Like to keep my stuff looking nice.

I have used them at times just to keep my irons looking good but I haven’t in a long time. I don’t care either way as I find it personal preference.

Because iron covers make you look like a douche bag. And douche bags like defending their douchiness.

JK

There's only one reason I like them. Listening to @JB say he's going to throw the first bag he sees with them on into the pond.

I use them while traveling because I don't trust them not to just throw my bag into a plane like a shot-put, so the more padding the better. Other than that, I just don't see the point and I find them more annoying than anything. Putters and woods get covers because they need to stay pristine (putters) or are painted and can chip easily. If I get top line marks on any of those clubs they would be out of my bag super fast. Irons you can potentially hit rocks with so there is not much point there.

Im not a fan of iron covers, but next bag I invest in will have that grip lock function to reduce the chatter.

no way would I buy a used set of chattered up clubs so I get it...

Back