Why Are Iron Covers Polarizing

people who don't ever use iron covers probably drink milk straight from the bottle with long socks and sandals....

I honestly just think they look goofy. If you want to use them on the course, that's your business. Only place I have or would use them is packing up a travel bag.

I have two semi regular playing buddies with iron covers. One has what I call ugly zip on ones with the plastic window covering his Rocketblades. I tell him all the time that they need to go. The other has an old set of blades that he's been rocking for 30+ years. They have leather slip on covers. He may not have the distance he used to, but he just finds the center of the club face all the time. I would never say a word to him about his iron covers.

Honestly it is probably just one more thing to lose. There is a an obvious difference between iron covers and putter/wood covers. Putter/wood covers are cool and iron covers are not..

I have used neoprene iron covers for years

(4) reasons
- don't like clank, clank, clank when carrying bag
- protects the club heads
- protects graphite shafts on hybrids and woods
- big numbers, makes clubs easy to identify and pull

they don't waste any time, don't interfere with the game and shouldn't be anyone's concern
And my bag always looks the same, no matter if there's a new set in the bag or not. :quiet:

The slow down play stuff is a bunch of bull in my opinion. Takes me about an extra second to pull one off and another extra second to put it back on. The guy who has to check the slope on the green with his feet every 3 feet of his 10 foot putt is slowing down play infinitely more.
^^This^^
Mine are magnetic closure so as I walk to the ball the cover comes off and into my pocket. Following the shot a quick wipe, the cover goes on and back in the bag. It probably took longer for me to type out the process and for you to read it. :drinks:

notwithstanding the non-sequiters and "i don't care but i do" in this thread

having done a bit prior research on this, the prevailing reason seems to be that years ago they were primarily sold as an "easy commission" add-on to women's and starter box sets - they were indicative of someone who presumably knew nothing and were "had" by a salesman

Honestly it is probably just one more thing to lose. There is a an obvious difference between iron covers and putter/wood covers. Putter/wood covers are cool and iron covers are not..

this is the biggest problem with playing with someone with covers... it seems everytime we tee it up he is dropping one in the middle of the fairway or retracing his steps because he doesnt know where they went.

this is the biggest problem with playing with someone with covers... it seems everytime we tee it up he is dropping one in the middle of the fairway or retracing his steps because he doesnt know where they went.

I only use Club Glove covers and have never had one fall off. With cheap iron covers (such as the ones from China with OEM names on them), that is absolutely an issue and much more of a pain in the rear than they are worth.

I've never lost one. I'm a creature of habit. It immediately goes in my left front pocket. I swing, clean the club, then right back on. I don't take extra time or any of that silliness. With 3 kids I want my clubs looking good as long as possible.

i have iron covers that i use after my clubs are clean and dry. i put them on while they are not being used. dont know why someone would use them when there clubs are dirty i feel your pain ;)

How about jacked lofts with iron covers on them...oh my the zombies are coming, hide the children and old people.. bunch of Effing hypocrites.

But a scuff on the topline of a wedge wouldn’t bother you? Asking genuinely here.
I mean its super easy to touch up paint on a putter, right?
Is this a roundabout way for you to tell the forum that you have purchased a set of iron covers, and will be using them henceforth?

I like to keep my clubs looking nice, but head covers are aggravating! I usually just wrap my towel around the irons when walking to reduce the irons hitting together.

Iron covers are fine. I am a libertarian on the subject.

I use them when traveling in my travel bag.

Otherwise, I do not need or use them. I like the clank, clank ...

So why is a putter cover acceptable?
I understand metal woods, paint chipping, etc. But putter covers should fall into same category, no?

I don't use a cover on my putter either. I like bag chatter on my irons and I never play a putter long enough for it to get beat up, lol. :p

I have 4 girls, 2 in college 2 in High school. I work hard for my money and there is never enough of it. You better believe if I spend $900 on a set of irons, I'm going to keep them clean and looking new as long as I can. Nothing better than taking money or beer from someone who does not like them. You don't like iron covers and that s fine. You do your thing, I'll do mine. For those cool people calling others a douche for using them,well I would just say this... eat ****.

I don't know any nerds so I have never seen someone use them but I imagine people hate them for pace of play. When the pace is slow every wasted second annoys people so pulling off iron covers could definitely be annoying.

In the early 1990's, when I was approx. 12 years old, I had the misfortune to caddie for a lady who had a fancy set of Yonex "irons" that must have been made of carbon fiber or something. She had leather covers with zippers on each of her clubs, probably half of the zippers were broken. She must have shot at least 150 and constantly changed clubs for each shot, meaning I had to zip/unzip a cover 150 times and I lost a few of them. She coulda teed off with her driver, hit a dozen 7 irons to the green, then chipped a few times before putting..... but no, she changed clubs for each shot. Then she stiffed me on the tip and made some rude comments after the round about me not keeping up and losing a few of her precious covers. Thus, I've always disliked iron covers because they make me think of her almost 30 years later.

Apart from the fact they look shite (no offense
To anyone that uses them), I’ve no idea why they are hated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to self: next THP event you get in, get the biggest iron covers they sell. Extra points for a water ball retriever and one of those rubber bits on the putter grip to pick the ball out of the hole.

I hate the chatter.35BB83C2-5381-4C9D-B24C-08E6F239DD2C.jpeg

When I purchased my current set of irons and wedges I bought them and used them until the end of Augusta with Darth Finley looming and the threat of them being dumped into Lake Coeur d’Alene.
They were bothersome when you took more than a few clubs to the green and wanted to see the difference in lies. It is a bit of relief to not have to bother with them anymore.
For those that choose to use them, keep using them. I understand why you use them!

Back