Why Are Iron Covers Polarizing

Last edited:
I still find it crazy that people get upset at seeing iron headcovers. I understand that to some the chatter is a badge of honor so to speak but to some of us clean, well kept irons are a badge of honor. I don't have a problem with whatever another golfer chooses to use.. Enjoy golf the way you want to!

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. Every single scratch or better player I know(and I play with a couple of plus index college players regularly) has bag chatter on their irons after their first season with them. One of them likes his old high school bag that he got 6 years ago and it has a new strap on it. My set from high school had about 1900 rounds on them before I replaced them and I have broken the strap and on a handful of golf bags over the years due to wear. Exactly zero of the plus index players I've played with the last 4 decades including my days playing college golf, have used iron headcovers. They play 100+ rounds a year, mostly walk, and keep their irons for at least a few years but often longer, hence the chatter. Bag chatter is commonly a source of pride for many of the good players I know.

No I totally get this. I agree that you're not going to see iron covers at these high levels. I'm confident you'll never see iron covers on any professional tour, ever. I prefer this, actually.

And I'm OK using neoprene iron covers. Keeps things quieter during the round.

those are the only 2 things I cover up! My golf gear and the front of my AMG.
My bad, I also have an Otterbox, but no tempered glass on my Iphone;)

Zero issue with others using them, I understand the desire to keep things nice. For years I used a Bennington Quiet Organizer bag for just that reason.

Some thought that bag looked silly, I think iron covers look worse. To each his/her own.

If I was a tour pro....I would use iron covers, so I can have a company sponsor me to advertise their logo/brand on them.

Before viewing this thread I had no idea that it bothered anyone. Really? You guys who use them catch crap? Weird. I haven't seen it often but what's the grip?

Now, if you're hitting a friggin' lime yellow ball :rolleyes:

No one has ever said a thing to my face about my iron covers. A couple of times I was asked why I use them. I just explain that my irons are like having a full set of hybrids and then point out they have covers on their hybrids. I’ve had my clubs for 2+ years (thanks to THP!) and they look brand new

The only problem I have had a few times with them is that I’ll grab the 9-iron instead of the 6 and vice-versa. I’m sure that happens without covers too though

These are really cool

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200222-163745_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200222-163745_eBay.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 14
No I totally get this. I agree that you're not going to see iron covers at these high levels. I'm confident you'll never see iron covers on any professional tour, ever. I prefer this, actually.

And I'm OK using neoprene iron covers. Keeps things quieter during the round.
Aaron Rai, 2018 Hong Kong Open winner

two gloves and iron covers

I used to use them all the time a long time ago. But I kept losing them because I didn't like the feeling of them in my pocket while hitting, so I would either put them on the ground and then forget them or balance them on the other clubs in the bag and then drop inside, so I stopped using them.
A tip you might find useful. I use iron covers that can be tethered. I tether two clubs that are side-by-side, except for my three wedges, where I tether them all. That way when I pull a cover, I don't need to do anything. Just let it dangle. When I'm done, shove the club back in the bag, grab the dangling cover, pop it on and I'm done. I've done it so often that it looks like one seamless motion.

One of my mother-in-law's neighbors in her beachfront condo in Naples had a new set of forged Mizunos with iron covers on them that were stored in the inside unairconditioned hallway just outside of his unit. He left them there over the summer and came back the next November to a fully rusted set of irons under those iron covers. I had a set of Wilson Staff FG V2's in that same hallway for two years and the only thing that rusted was a putter that had a headcover on it. :) I never needed a reason not to use them but now I have one, lol.
That's a real thing. Hot, humid air and iron covers, especially plastic or rubber ones are not a good combination over time.

That's a real thing. Hot, humid air and iron covers, especially plastic or rubber ones are not a good combination over time.
But isn't rust cool?

If I was a tour pro....I would use iron covers, so I can have a company sponsor me to advertise their logo/brand on them.
Yeah, but your equipment sponsor would probably force you to ditch the covers.

Yeah, but your equipment sponsor would probably force you to ditch the covers.
If the sponsor was paying more to advertise on iron covers....I would ditch the equipment sponsor or find one who wouldn’t mind. It’s not like the irons will be hit with them on. They do come off to show what iron is being gamed.

Would a 14 way or 5 way bag be better or worse for chatter?

Before viewing this thread I had no idea that it bothered anyone. Really? You guys who use them catch crap? Weird. I haven't seen it often but what's the grip?

Now, if you're hitting a friggin' lime yellow ball :rolleyes:
It seems like kind of an internet phenomenon. I've golfed with a lot of people over the years who use iron covers (not me, for the record), and I can't remember ever seeing anybody say anything about them in real life.

Personally, I couldn't care less what anybody else has in their bag, how they choose to cover it (or not), or what ball they play.

Full disclosure: I occasionally rock a Gene Simmons headcover just for fun. :LOL:

Gene.jpg

Last edited:
Back