Why Are Iron Covers Polarizing

Because iron covers make you look like a douche bag. And douche bags like defending their douchiness.

JK

This exactly. They are the pocket protectors of golf. Bras on cars are in the same category. :)

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 1.47.12 PM.png

I don’t really care about them, but they remind me of pocket protectors. They are just kind of nerdy to me.

I don't use them, but if I was flying, then yes I would. 1 of the guys I play with used to have them & used the all the time until he lost 1 & you would have thought he lost his club. To top it off it's not like he was playing a good set of irons either, he just thought they made him look cool. :cool::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

This exactly. They are the pocket protectors of golf. Bras on cars are in the same category. :)

View attachment 8928505

So why is a putter cover acceptable?
I understand metal woods, paint chipping, etc. But putter covers should fall into same category, no?

I don't know why I hate them but I do. I they are annoying to take off and put on not to mention they take away from the natural beauty of the clubs sitting in a bag

I understand metal woods, paint chipping, etc. But putter covers should fall into same category, no?

I think it comes down more to cost per club.

I am one of those few that religiously use iron covers. My issue is I have a bit of OCD with not having certain items I own look proper. Scratches and marks on my golf clubs REALLY bother me to all end. I actually sold a putter that I really liked just because it fell and got marked up from the cart path.

My playing partners give me all kind of crap for using them; I do try to hurry in other areas to not slow down our group.

I really would have a hard time playing golf and not have iron covers on each club.

That ? started with Scotty Cameron. Blame him. Before those came out putters were treated like tools like they should be. After that they were treated like works of art.

My putter has paint on it... if the topline was scuffed I would be a grumpy mfer

I have used neoprene iron covers for years

(4) reasons
- don't like clank, clank, clank when carrying bag
- protects the club heads
- protects graphite shafts on hybrids and woods
- big numbers, makes clubs easy to identify and pull

they don't waste any time, don't interfere with the game and shouldn't be anyone's concern

Last edited:
Why haven’t more bag manufacturers followed the Ogio / Bennington route of providing an ‘anti chatter’ bag option?

Surely this gives all the benefits that the “no iron cover” brigade look for whilst removing the issues that the head cover fans cite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

for the same reason pocket protectors are

My putter has paint on it... if the topline was scuffed I would be a grumpy mfer

But a scuff on the topline of a wedge wouldn’t bother you? Asking genuinely here.
I mean its super easy to touch up paint on a putter, right?

I've never used them but my friend does...I don't mind dings and bag chatter but it drives him insane.

I would just lose them.

I let my son use my golf clubs last summer. He somehow lost my 7i cover. Although it shouldn’t have bother me as much as it did, I went and purchased a whole new set of iron covers. I just couldn’t find the same one I had, and couldn’t have a different look on my 7i. I also went and purchased a starter golf set for my son when he goes to play with friends. I don’t mind at all when people play with my clubs. I let anyone use them. Many times, on the course, I let people try my Toulon Vegas. Just feel so odd not to have the clubs in pristine condition.

I know I'm in the minority, but I pay good money for my clubs and I want them to stay as nice as possible for as long as possible.

Just like keeping them clean. I clean them after every shot. I like to see nice clubs on the ground when in use.

+1 for Iron Covers!!!
Hey, you're me, or I'm you, I don't know anymore, but we're the same.

Drivers, FW, hybrids and putters can be easily damaged or scratched that can either effect play or so distracting like a chip on a driver head so I get that. Irons on the other hand get more beat up by ground impact than bag chatter.
My 7 iron that gets hit 5 or 6 times a round takes far more impact being carried or driven around the course than the sole takes from practice swings and hitting the ball. The damage from club to club impact doesn't effect play but over time it does make the back of a club look like crap.

I would say many golfers like to personalize putter covers similar to driver head covers. Personalization seems to have been accepted. I bet if PGA golfers started using personalized iron covers, you would see more every day players use them.

i was unaware that covers are a polarizing issue. use 'em or don't. And maybe if you have a issue with the use or non use of them you should consider lightening up!
Welcome to THP... iron covers are always a great thread! @JB must be a little bored today so he threw some gas on the fire (y)

and putter covers can be a pain in the a$$ to take on and off

You can do whatever you want with your irons. I play in the desert and most of my clubs have love marks from playing from rocks and cacti and gritty sand. To me they are tools and look used. I clean them wrap them when I travel but guess what....they will never look new again.

Kind of reminds me of putting plastic covers on the sofa.

Does not bother me if someone uses them. I love seeing my irons so no way i am covering them up. The few times i have flown with clubs i have some covers that came on my pings i throw on there just for added protection.

I wish SWAG would make some really expensive ones, then cool folks could game them without fear of being called a douche bag.

I am one of those few that religiously use iron covers. My issue is I have a bit of OCD with not having certain items I own look proper. Scratches and marks on my golf clubs REALLY bother me to all end. I actually sold a putter that I really liked just because it fell and got marked up from the cart path.

My playing partners give me all kind of crap for using them; I do try to hurry in other areas to not slow down our group.

I really would have a hard time playing golf and not have iron covers on each club.

The slow down play stuff is a bunch of bull in my opinion. Takes me about an extra second to pull one off and another extra second to put it back on. The guy who has to check the slope on the green with his feet every 3 feet of his 10 foot putt is slowing down play infinitely more.

Its like wearing gloves to the gym... Its a hole in the man card.

Back