Why Are Iron Covers Polarizing

I have used neoprene iron covers for years

(4) reasons
- don't like clank, clank, clank when carrying bag
- protects the club heads
- protects graphite shafts on hybrids and woods
- big numbers, makes clubs easy to identify and pull

they don't waste any time, don't interfere with the game and shouldn't be anyone's concern

(5) don’t like clank, clank, clank when clubs are in the trunk

In my travels those are normally the players with the most skill. Forged irons don’t look good until they have some chatter. :)
In my travels that isn’t the case! Forged irons are not just muscle backs. As for touring pro’s....for the most part they are paid to game irons and can get a new set whenever they want.

Have you been to a high school, college, or “scratch” amateur match recently? Mostly players with forged irons with lots of bag chatter and a carry bag with lots of wear on it or maybe even a worn bag with a new strap because the original wore out. They also might have a putter that has some wear and looks something like this one.

9628E7D8-4A2A-4562-BA18-42BF87877C94.jpeg

BTW, I game 4 different models of forged Srixon/Cleveland irons and a 4 iron from Callaway with a forged face so I’m aware that they are not just muscle backs.

The putter above belongs to Jordan Spieth.

I have not seen a good looking set of iron covers.

Nor have I played with any good golfer whose irons are covered during the round.

I used to have iron covers myself. But I found that they were a hassle, as I play or practice almost daily. I like my clubs looking nice, too, so I clean my clubs after every round, and polish them every couple of months. I use car wax for paints and metal polish for chrome.

I don't use them but can sure understand when someone invests $1000+ and wants to protect their irons.

I’ve avoided this to this point, but it’s the weekend so what the hell.

No, because they’re stupid and a nuisance.

Irons are workhorses of the golf equipment world, the woods and putters are the trailer queens but irons are chunks of metal hell bent on one thing, driving through the surface of the earth in search of pure compression. Dirt, dinge, dings, chatter, beauty marks, scuffs, are all publicly displayed confirmations of worth and wear.

I found you do not need an iron cover on every iron in your bag to keep down the clanging and dinging. Just every other iron - I did that for a few months about 15 yrs ago when playing soft forgings.

I don't use them except packing for travel. I found they are a nuisance that get lost and are bothersome to me. If you must have them, I suggest every other iron.

Woods, hybrids and putters are a must to cover. Can’t deal with paint chips or scratches as my eye is drawn to it.

Irons - just can’t cover them and I play hybrid type irons. I once bought a set of Acer XDS hybrid irons. They Came with hybrid type covers. I put them in the bag and 14 clubs with covers in them was just too much to bear. Also made the bag look extremely cluttered. I sold them before they made it to the course.

Golf is a mental game and clubs aren't cheap. Who cares as long as it doesn't affect pace of play.

I first bought iron covers when I had to fly for the first time with my clubs. After that Ijust got used to keeping them on. I worried they might slow me down but haven’t found that to be true. Some rounds I take them off at the beginning and only put them back on after the round. I’d say most of the damage to irons comes from transport and bag chatter. Actually I keep them more to protect my driver and woods shafts and heads

I love this question. I can’t believe how much sh^t I catch for protecting my clubs. Why do other people care?

I’ve avoided this to this point, but it’s the weekend so what the hell.

No, because they’re stupid and a nuisance.

Irons are workhorses of the golf equipment world, the woods and putters are the trailer queens but irons are chunks of metal hell bent on one thing, driving through the surface of the earth in search of pure compression. Dirt, dinge, dings, chatter, beauty marks, scuffs, are all publicly displayed confirmations of worth and wear.

One of my mother-in-law's neighbors in her beachfront condo in Naples had a new set of forged Mizunos with iron covers on them that were stored in the inside unairconditioned hallway just outside of his unit. He left them there over the summer and came back the next November to a fully rusted set of irons under those iron covers. I had a set of Wilson Staff FG V2's in that same hallway for two years and the only thing that rusted was a putter that had a headcover on it. :) I never needed a reason not to use them but now I have one, lol.

They are polarizing because there is a large segment of the golfing breed that are insecure little high school girls running around in men's bodies.
Take an otherwise normal dude and drop him off at a golf course and all of a sudden hes judging people based on shoe color, iron covers, staff bags, iron size, shaft flex etc etc. Heaven forbid somebody show up without a navy polo and khaki slacks on.

Personally, I like my irons to shine in the morning sun and wear with age...and I like to get laid - so I dont use them hehe.:p:p

I love this question. I can’t believe how much sh^t I catch for protecting my clubs. Why do other people care?

Some people love to judge others. And knowing that it bothers other people makes me want to use iron covers even more now. Gamesmanship

Never knew my iron covers could get into someone’s head ?.

I am all for any competitive advantage I can get.

I first bought iron covers when I had to fly for the first time with my clubs. After that Ijust got used to keeping them on. I worried they might slow me down but haven’t found that to be true. Some rounds I take them off at the beginning and only put them back on after the round. I’d say most of the damage to irons comes from transport and bag chatter. Actually I keep them more to protect my driver and woods shafts and heads
I travel with iron covers on - don’t use them on course - I generally leave the heads on my woods. With how airlines handle luggage, I’m all for anything that keeps my woods and putter in pristine condition

Apparently they care about your sex life? ;)

Just curious where the pace of play thing comes from? Is it a stigma that bad golfers use iron covers or are there legitimately people taking more than one second to take it off / put it on? I use them as well as a friend and we often play through groups.. We're never the slow ones unless my friend has one of those days where he's spending a lot of time in the woods but that has nothing to do with iron covers.

Some people love to judge others. And knowing that it bothers other people makes me want to use iron covers even more now. Gamesmanship
Or, and this is wild, much like the supporters of of covers love them, the other side just don’t and both voice their opinions in an open forum discussion.:p

Oh, and it won’t be gamesmanship until I let you hear about your covers after every single hole. ;):p:D

I don’t care what someone uses, but it doesn’t mean I have to like them, no more than someone has to like what I use/play.

Have you been to a high school, college, or “scratch” amateur match recently? Mostly players with forged irons with lots of bag chatter and a carry bag with lots of wear on it or maybe even a worn bag with a new strap because the original wore out. They also might have a putter that has some wear and looks something like this one.

View attachment 8928750

BTW, I game 4 different models of forged Srixon/Cleveland irons and a 4 iron from Callaway with a forged face so I’m aware that they are not just muscle backs.

The putter above belongs to Jordan Spieth.
HS match?? You posted players with skill have irons w/bag chatter. Not all HS players are skilled and shoot in the 60’s and 70’s. Played with several in the past and not the case.

Obviously, college players don’t give a rats behind about their equipment. They didn’t by them.....Their parents bought them! D1 Power 5 college golfers get brand new golf bags, so I highly doubt they are using an old bag with a new strap. Anyone using an old bag with a new strap is because they can’t afford new golf bag and not because they like their old bag. If I approached that person and told him. I will buy you a a new golf bag of your choice for free no strings attached in exchange you give me your old bag. The player will jump on the offer in a heart beat!

This is Matsuyama’s 2018 putter. No bag chatter to me!
3B82E4C8-8B16-4D31-84B8-5235867CAD40.png
Bud Cauley’s putter with no bag chatter either!

85F80B82-E88B-4734-B6D5-29C5322D8937.png
Makes me wonder why you game 4 different Srixon irons? Maybe you meant gamed as in you don’t have the other 3 sets anymore.

Last edited:

Anyone that actually cares needs to get a life. Personally, I don’t like em, but if you or anyone does, great. As someone said earlier in the thread, if one of my regular playing partners started using them, they’d get some stick, purely in the way of some friendly piss taking, but I have far greater things to actually worry about on the course other than someone else’s head covers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate bag chatter. It was either playing with ear plugs or playing with iron covers. I chose iron covers. Also it is so much easier selling used irons when they are not all dinged to hell and back. Try selling a used putter with dings.

I hate bag chatter. It was either playing with ear plugs or playing with iron covers. I chose iron covers. Also it is so much easier selling used irons when they are not all dinged to hell and back. Try selling a used putter with dings.
Very true. Scotty Cameron putters without bag chatter sell faster and at a premium on Ebay than those looking like they fell out of a truck onto the freeway.

HS match?? You posted players with skill have irons w/bag chatter. Not all HS players are skilled and shoot in the 60’s and 70’s. Played with several in the past and not the case.

Obviously, college players don’t give a rats behind about their equipment. They didn’t by them.....Their parents bought them! D1 Power 5 college golfers get brand new golf bags, so I highly doubt they are using an old bag with a new strap. Anyone using an old bag with a new strap is because they can’t afford new golf bag and not because they like their old bag.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. Every single scratch or better player I know(and I play with a couple of plus index college players regularly) has bag chatter on their irons after their first season with them. One of them likes his old high school bag that he got 6 years ago and it has a new strap on it. My set from high school had about 1900 rounds on them before I replaced them and I have broken the strap and on a handful of golf bags over the years due to wear. Exactly zero of the plus index players I've played with the last 4 decades including my days playing college golf, have used iron headcovers. They play 100+ rounds a year, mostly walk, and keep their irons for at least a few years but often longer, hence the chatter. Bag chatter is commonly a source of pride for many of the good players I know.

Last edited:
I kinda have two thoughts on this.
1. I got this set of clubs free so why not show off the irons and deal with some chatter.
2. I got them free but still want to protect the irons and not listen to the chatter as I will keep this set for more than a year.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. Every single scratch or better player I know(and I play with a couple of plus index college players regularly) has bag chatter on their irons after their first season with them. One of them likes his old high school bag that he got 6 years ago and it has a new strap on it. My set from high school had about 1900 rounds on them before I replaced them and I have broken the strap and on a handful of golf bags over the years due to wear. Exactly zero of the plus index players I've played with the last 4 decades including my days playing college golf, have used iron headcovers. They play 100+ rounds a year, mostly walk, and keep their irons for at least a few years but often longer, hence the chatter. Bag chatter is commonly a source of pride for many of the good players I know.
Like I posted, college players didn’t buy their own clubs. Their parents did! The 2 examples of players using old bags with new straps are exceptions to the rule and don’t make them the norm!

When I was in my 20’s I didn’t use iron covers, because I didn’t really know the value of money. I use irons covers now, because I like taking care of my clubs! It the same reason other players who use them.

IMO, it’s no different than hating car door dings and I have a clear bra (3M) on my front bumper and entire hood to prevent road rash aka paint chips. When it comes time to sell or trade my car I get top value for it.

Last edited:

Back