Why Are Iron Covers Polarizing

I think this is largely internet forum chatter. I've literally played thousands of rounds with iron covers and I have NEVER had anybody complain or even suggest they look silly.
Agreed.

I love golf and enjoy playing golf with other golfers. I don't judge people for what their bag looks like.

I feel like I'm back readiing the Kirkland golf ball thread from a year or so ago with some of these comments. sheesh.

Last edited:
Why are they hated? Maybe just they are an unnecessary item, maybe because people hate waiting for others to replace them after shot.

I have some kicking around I throw on if travelling with clubs, but while going camping or something like that. Full vehicle load, hopefully add a bit more protection.

Just throwing ideas out there... Could it be because non-iron cover players secretly fear iron cover players?

Just throwing ideas out there... Could it be because non-iron cover players secretly fear iron cover players?
The humiliation of getting spanked by someone using iron covers is real. I have witnessed it on many occasions.:violin:

I'm going to start a new thread. Does it bother you when your playing partner has chunks of dirt on his irons and won't clean them. Seems a much bigger topic then covers and yes it really bothers me:D
...or the antithesis of that one. The guy who takes a long time using a brush and cloth on his iron each time he uses it until the rest of your foursome is growing moss waiting.

...or the antithesis of that one. The guy who takes a long time using a brush and cloth on his iron each time he uses it until the rest of your foursome is growing moss waiting.
but there's a performance benefit to having clean irons

but there's a performance benefit to having clean irons
Yes, but there are also consequences to slow play, and you can have clean clubs without the other.

that would be worse. I clean my after I hit if needed when I'm not slowing play.

I only use iron covers when I travel. That way during shipping and god knows what kind of bouncing/dropping/sliding/etc happens during the trip, I know they are safe and cozy and warm and ready to go on the other end when we show up on course. Other than that......uh no.

Simply put, because there is a far far better solution. :Dfinal.png

So on the internet there is a lot of hate for the iron covers. However I am curious for those that use them do your golf buddies also use them? If not do your friends give you grief on them?

Are you using leather or a neoprene material?

So on the internet there is a lot of hate for the iron covers. However I am curious for those that use them do your golf buddies also use them? If not do your friends give you grief on them?

Nope, I have yet to play with anyone that also used iron covers from memory.

Yep, my normal playing partners give me grief all the time.

Nope, I have yet to play with anyone that also used iron covers from memory.

Yep, my normal playing partners give me grief all the time.
Do you think the percentage is 10% or less user adoption?

Do you think the percentage is 10% or less user adoption?
Wouldn’t surprise me if less. I always thought of myself as odd until many here posted using them.

See post #129 for my experience with this.

Reading some of the comments in this thread made me cringe. Golfers can be a petty bunch.

Very pretty at times and over inane issues.

I'm going to start a new thread. Does it bother you when your playing partner has chunks of dirt on his irons and won't clean them. Seems a much bigger topic then covers and yes it really bothers me:D

Ugh... hate it.

Neoprene lately.

I'd probably never notice. I can tell you what clubs one other player has in his bag, only because we both recently got fitted and bought new clubs and have discussed it a lot. The friend I play with most often, I couldn't tell you one club in his bag. Not even what brand he plays.

I use the Club Glove neoprene covers. I don’t get shiitt among my Fri and Sat 4some buddies, because they can’t beat me. Last thing they want to do is trash talk my iron covers, because they know I can trash talk their golf game.

Last edited:
Back