Why are my club heads snapping off?

thewilderside

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm playing 11 year-old Burner 2.0 irons that are extended by 1". That doesn't seem very old, and I've been hitting them pretty well, but in the last 3 weeks both the 4-iron (pic below) and 5-iron heads have snapped off at the range. Neither strikes that snapped the heads were notably poor (i.e. not a huge divot or anything) but sailing away they went. I've been kicking new irons around in my head for a while, but had been playing these well enough that I was gonna stick to them. However, I'm somewhat concerned this is going to be a continuing trend with all my other Burners. Anyone have some thoughts?

20200910_152442.jpg

Any sign of corrosion on the inside of the shaft? It is possible it could have rusted out from the inside.

Any sign of corrosion on the inside of the shaft? It is possible it could have rusted out from the inside.
There is some, but would that be enough to snap it? 20200910_154129.jpg

Definitely showing signs of previous cracking, break is not all the same fresh break color. I would be leery of the rest of the set.

Looks like they are rusted and weakening.

Could be any number of things, age, heavy strikes, moisture. Before you take my word for it though, is the break all fresh and shiny all the way around?

The better question is what in the wide wide world of sports are you doing here with 11 yr old clubs?

You have explaining to do.

I think your clubs are calling "karma."

Ha, just noticed your a Green Mountain Boy, I was raised 8 miles from Cabot Creamery. 😎

Looks like they are rusted and weakening.
Yeah, sadly that seems to be the consensus. I bought these used in 2013, was hoping to get a little more time out of them. Bummer I just had these regripped two weeks ago :LOL:😢

Could be any number of things, age, heavy strikes, moisture. Before you take my word for it though, is the break all fresh and shiny all the way around?
I'd say no, there seems to be some discoloration on one particular spot of the break. 😢

Yeah, sadly that seems to be the consensus. I bought these used in 2013, was hoping to get a little more time out of them. Bummer I just had these regripped two weeks ago :LOL:😢
Blow off the grips with air, you may be able to save them.

Ha, just noticed your a Green Mountain Boy, I was raised 8 miles from Cabot Creamery. 😎
Nice! What part of Maine you from? I went to college in South Portland.

11 years is pretty old for a set of irons. They can rust and weaken over time causing failures. My son has an older set of Callaway irons and he had one of his irons break at a similar point. So far the rest of the irons are holding together.

The better question is what in the wide wide world of sports are you doing here with 11 yr old clubs?

You have explaining to do.

I think your clubs are calling "karma."
Well I keep trying to win some new ones but my number hasn't come up yet :LOL:

I've heavily debated new irons this year and kind of feel like my hand is being forced.

Nice! What part of Maine you from? I went to college in South Portland.
Live in a small town called Dixmont up near Bangor. Grew up in Hardwick Vt. on a farm.

I was talking with a TE rep at a demo days shin dig. He asked how I cleaned my TE clubs. I told him. He told me to stop soaking the club heads in a bucket of water prior to cleaning . That eventually after several years, the water will seep in the connection, and weaken it.

Sounded plausible to me.

I was talking with a TE rep at a demo days shin dig. He asked how I cleaned my TE clubs. I told him. He told me to stop soaking the club heads in a bucket of water prior to cleaning . That eventually after several years, the water will seep in the connection, and weaken it.

Sounded plausible to me.
That's why I always use a damp rag and brass brush.

I broke an 8 iron earlier this year at the range from a set that was 9 years old. Upon examining the inside of the shaft their was corrosion present. While it didn't appear to be enough to have caused the shaft to break, the metal is quite thin and I believe there is a fair force involved with a golf club impacting both a ball and the ground.

Keeping clubs in the trunk of your car can also accelerate the weakening process due to the changes in temperature and the condensation that can develop inside the shafts.

Reason #13 to justify to your wife that you need new clubs: "Honey, I'm worried about the shaft snapping and the head hitting Bob. Wouldn't want a lawsuit, now would we?"

You should use the glue that Phil was using on his putter today... that thing never coming off.... right @Canadan ?

Sounded plausible to me.
Well poop, that's how I've always cleaned my clubs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Epoxy can weaken over time as well. Especially at that age :unsure:

Time for a new set :golf2:

Epoxy can weaken over time as well. Especially at that age :unsure:

Time for a new set :golf2:
It was a good run I guess. Now just gotta cross my fingers my number comes for the Hogan experience

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back